Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2019, 09:13 AM   #1

TPMS Question

I am considering buying a TPMS for our TT and I'm wondering if there is a TPMS out there that immediately notifies when a senor stops working or responding.

So many of the TPMS systems I've looked at don't tell you how long it takes for the system to notify you when a sensor fails to respond. Some take as long as 10 minutes, some take even longer and during that time they continue to display the "last know value". I read a post where someone must have skimmed too close to a curb and the sensor with the valve stem was ripped from the tire. The tire went flat and since there was no sensor to inform of a pressure drop, there was no alarm or any indication of problem until another driver alerted him to the problem. Its just me but I'd rather have the display say "lost connection" or something like that, than to continue to display the last value it received.
BeerBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2019, 10:08 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
We have a TireMinder system with 10 sensors. 6 for the MH, 4 for the Jeep toad. If a battery goes dead, like Iíve lost the sensor, the head unit will say LOS ( loss of signal) and indicate which sensor.

A curious note, Iíve briefly experienced LOS on random sensors while going through or around cities with lots of traffic. I attribute the LOS to interference from other vehicles. Seems every vehicle nowadays has its own WiFi. Just like microwave oven can interfere with cell phones or home WiFi, I believe the other vehicles are interfering with my sensor and the head unit signals. Anyway, once the traffics starts thinning out, the sensor always comes back.

Guess itís telling me to stay away from the cities!
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 10:15 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by les.warden View Post
We have a TireMinder system with 10 sensors. 6 for the MH, 4 for the Jeep toad. If a battery goes dead, like Iíve lost the sensor, the head unit will say LOS ( loss of signal) and indicate which sensor....
after what time delay? minutes? seconds?
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2019, 12:32 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
after what time delay? minutes? seconds?
You took the words right out of my mouth!

I think can tolerate sensors occasionally dropping on and off due to conditions, like driving in congested areas. I just don't want to driving down the road, fat dumb and happy looking at old info.
BeerBrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 11:15 AM   #5

I use an eezrv Products TPMS4 system and have been pretty happy with it. I have one sensor that tends to drop occasionally and the monitor notifies me immediately when it can read it. I get a "beep" sound and the monitor simply provides dashes (--) for both the PSI and temp when that particular tire/sensor displays. To resolve the issue, I just turn the monitor off and on. Give it about 10 minutes and all the tires get readings again. I probably need to reprogram that particular sensor, but I've not gotten around to it yet.
Old 06-21-2019, 12:28 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytmare View Post
I use an eezrv Products TPMS4 system and have been pretty happy with it. I have one sensor that tends to drop occasionally and the monitor notifies me immediately when it can read it. I get a "beep" sound and the monitor simply provides dashes (--) for both the PSI and temp when that particular tire/sensor displays. To resolve the issue, I just turn the monitor off and on. Give it about 10 minutes and all the tires get readings again. I probably need to reprogram that particular sensor, but I've not gotten around to it yet.
The battery could be getting weak in that sensor.
Tom in Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 07:22 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
TPMS Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerBrewer View Post
You took the words right out of my mouth!

I think can tolerate sensors occasionally dropping on and off due to conditions, like driving in congested areas. I just don't want to driving down the road, fat dumb and happy looking at old info.

When driving, and losing the signal, I do not know the time when the sensor signal quits to the time the head unit notifies me.

The only thing I can go by, and assume itís the same for LOS, is this... when I put a sensor on, and the head unit recognizes the sensor and shows me the pressure. I then unscrew the sensor to ensure the head unit notifies me. This is usually between 10-15 seconds. I screw it back on and it shows good, again between 10-15 seconds.
les.warden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2019, 07:54 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by nytmare View Post
I also use the EEZ RV TPMS system (T515) with 10 sensors - 6 for the MH and 4 for the toad. According to the manual, it immediately gives notice of a "fast leakage". I haven't tested to see how fast "immediate" is, but my assumption is that immediate is immediate. We've been very happy with the system for 3.5 years. The range on the sensors is very good - no need for the booster in the toad.
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2019, 06:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom in Ohio View Post
The battery could be getting weak in that sensor.
Could be. I'll swap in a new battery just to be sure. Thanks.
Old 08-20-2019, 12:12 PM   #10

That's the easy, first thing to try. That fixed 2 problems for me in the past. Please post your results.

Tags
tpms