Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-07-2013, 07:32 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Tracfone are you still happy with it?

I was wondering if you all where still happy with tracfone?
IM looking for triple minutes and paying by the year.
If I buy a yearly plan I pay that amount for year and minutes a lump sum.

I only us 130 minutes a month for three phones on VW for $159.74
no text, no nothing just a big bill.

Asking a question on there site don't work.
My vw plan has expired..
Thanks every one for your replies.
Don
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-07-2013, 07:54 PM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
I use Straightalk, which is the same company as tracfone. I love it. My phone is on the verizon network, so great coverage, $45/mo no contract and unlimited everything. Three phones will cost you $135/mo for unlimited everything, no contract.

They also have a lesser plan (I think it's 1000 minutes) for $30/mo per phone.

That said, their customer service sucks. And resist the urge to get the cheap (or free) refurbished phones from the web site. I have purchased three refurbs and none of them worked or they couldn't be activated. If you have to call customer service, be prepared to spend hours of your life waiting on hold to finally get a non-english speaking agent who can't resolve your problem on the first call.

Just buy a new phone either at walmart or online, and activate it yourself online and you'll be fine. Know that they make it difficult to figure out which phones are on which network, so if you want Verizon coverage, you need to do a little homework. In short, the CDMA phones are on the Verizon network.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:00 PM   #3

Ramblin X 2
Izzyblueye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:16 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Unlimited everything? Imcluding Data?
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2013, 09:25 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by chief02 View Post
Unlimited everything? Imcluding Data?
yes
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 07:46 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Send a message via Skype™ to fxdave
well i have had 2 phones from them Straightalk reconditioned ones both worked great still do and now i have samsung galaxy s3 Straight talk is great all work flawless on the net work your better to buy everything from there website also imo also have 1 phone on Boost it also work flawless also im looking to add one on Net 10 trac phone owns that one too heard there not monitoring the data as much Enjoy
Old 07-08-2013, 10:18 AM   #7

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fxdave View Post
well i have had 2 phones from them Straightalk reconditioned ones both worked great still do and now i have samsung galaxy s3 Straight talk is great all work flawless on the net work your better to buy everything from there website also imo also have 1 phone on Boost it also work flawless also im looking to add one on Net 10 trac phone owns that one too heard there not monitoring the data as much Enjoy
Don't tracfone own those 2 company's?

They seem like good carries.
I just figure with the few 113 minutes, that's 113/3= under 38 minutes per person. So I figure Tracfone would be better. I have three phones on VW last month I said I used a 130 for the 3 of us actually it was 113 minutes. So my figuring some has stated there phone cost for tracfone was under $8. a month, so for 3 x 8 is $24X12=$248 plus IM sure other fee's apply that not in the figure. So VW is $150.47 X12= $1805.64 a year no data plan just a 1000 text, also have 1200 minutes a month not rolling over(I us under 200 a month on avg.). $1805.64-$248= $1557.64 saving
Wow that will more than pay for second ac! I've been a customer with VW for 10 plus years, was with another company they bough for long time. They have serviced me ever chance they could, like the stud farm down the road does for the mares.

Thanks for the reply every one.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:22 AM   #8

Still happy with our TracFones. They aren't smartphones, but, do have internet capabillity albeit very slow and painful.

Just renewed my service for another year. 365 days and 400 minutes (doubled to 800 minutes) for 99.00 each buying the airtime cards at Walmart. The actual cost was 101.20 or some such nonsense because you have to pay for a 911 padding. At any rate, the total cost was $202 and some change for our two phones and we use them so little that DW has 4800 +/- minutes and I have 7846 minutes as I type this. I know folks with smartphones that pay more than that per month for a single phone. We like and do just fine with our dumb TracFones.
2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk Towed
webslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 01:41 PM   #9

Yes, check out the pay as you go options. Look into Pageplus cellular. They use the same Verizon towers you are familiar with and you can just use the phones you already own. you can buy minutes or do a prepay monthly plan for as little as 12/month. Pageplus, Straighttalk, virgin, boost, and tracphone are all good options and will save you a bunch.
Kdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 02:52 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdawg View Post
Yes, check out the pay as you go options. Look into Pageplus cellular. They use the same Verizon towers you are familiar with and you can just use the phones you already own. you can buy minutes or do a prepay monthly plan for as little as 12/month. Pageplus, Straighttalk, virgin, boost, and tracphone are all good options and will save you a bunch.
I haven't heard about them Pageplus cellular.

You say they us our previous phones? Can't find that on there site.
Old 07-08-2013, 02:58 PM   #11

The DW and I switched to Tracfones when I retired. I like Tracfone and I'm saving a lot of money over the former TMobile phones. I did purchase a Tmobile hotspot and usually buy a two month 3GB card when we travel for about $35.00.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #12

We've had tracfone for about a year and love it. We camp in the US a lot and shop there a lot. DW is an accountant and she studied it to death before settling on the tracfone. Just have to pay as we use it... Calling back into Canada involves 2 or 3 more steps when dialing and that's about the only negative I can think of.

We just got the Verizon 4g mobile hot spot thingy. Besides being able to surf the 'net , now we can email, Skype and use Facebook wherever we camp or travel. No. 1 son loves to Skype and use Facebook to communicate from anywhere he is, including Europe where he was for 9 months going to university there. Very cool to be able to sit beside the campfire with laptop. That's campin'! No more crappy cg wifi service....

Some of the other 4G services don't have that good coverage. For example, someone at our campground (250 sites) last week couldn't get his T-mobile to work anywhere in the cg but if he went to the beach about a mile away it was okay. DW also studied 4G service to death before going with Verizon. AT&T is another good one and all the other ones seem to fall short.
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tumble Weed View Post

I haven't heard about them Pageplus cellular.

You say they us our previous phones? Can't find that on there site.
You can use most regular Verizon phones. Check out kittywireless and the forum. You should be able to find the answer to any questions you have.

http://www.kittywireless.com/pageplus/howdoibegin.html
Kdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:06 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
We gave up the AT&T about a year ago and bought two tracfones. (The AT&T would not receive signals where we live in Oregon - tracfones do.) We travel a bit and the phones have worked in Oregon, CA to Florida up to Maine and back down to Mississippi. I don't know if they get a signal all over the US but they have worked for us. The only problem or inconvenience was I didn't watch the minutes and in the middle of a conversation the phone disconnected. I fired up the laptop and bought more minutes and that was easy to do (double minutes). We have not used the text function.
1ciderdog is offline   Reply With Quote