Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2022, 01:47 PM   #1

Trailer surround cameras

I'm not certain if this is the correct forum to start this thread but since it is concerning TT cameras hopefully someone has experience with this.

I just received a set of 4 cameras for my trailer which will specifically connect to my new Ram truck to give me surround view of the trailer from the console screen. I won't have the truck for another couple of weeks so trying to figure this out first. The cameras are designed to fit either the roof or side wall. I want to use them on my current KZ trailer but I want to be able to remove them and reinstall them once I get my new ORV trailer this fall. I don't want to drill holes in either trailer. I'm looking for suggestions on how to attach them to the units and be able to remove them without damaging the fiberglass siding. I was contemplating 3M double tape (maybe 5200) but wasn't certain it will hold up to the rigors of towing.

All suggestions appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2022, 05:55 PM   #2

I've been using 3M automotive molding tape for that sort of thing for years. Stuff is super tough if you prep with alcohol first. I've had to slice it with windshield wire to get parts back off. Even my pressure washer wouldn't remove them. Once off then you can deal with cleanup of the haves of the sliced tape a lot more easily. A good substitute for windshield wire is guitar string or piano wire. Stranded is a little more durable in use but single wire cuts cleaner.
The 3M tape I use is the stuff found in body shop supply and auto parts stores, # 03609 with the red backing on it. A single roll should be plenty for four cameras.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 07:04 PM   #3
Community Moderator

I would not use 5200 as that is permanent. Can you screw them in and use butyl tape to provide a weatherproof seal. That is what I use on boats.
Camp CA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2022, 08:39 PM   #4

Never used 5200, how "permanent" is it?
Old 01-27-2022, 09:34 PM   #5

Trailer surround cameras

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Never used 5200, how "permanent" is it?

5200 has been known to pull the gel coat off a boat trying to remove something glued to it.

I was told to use 4200 on anything that I might want to remove later.
Rob_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 04:55 AM   #6

Thank you very much for the knowledgeable answers. Exactly what I was needing. I've never used the 3M tape so I was unsure of which one and how effective. I've read where many use this to mount solar panels but wanted the reassurance of those who have been there, done that.

As far as drilling holes, I'm not wanting to do that at least to my current trailer since I plan on trading/selling it this summer in preparation for the new trailer this fall. With the new trailer, I MAY drill and mount, but I have concerns about putting holes in a $60K trailer. I would love to run the wires inside, but also don't know if that is possible. TBD at a later time.

Thanks again for the advice.
Old 01-28-2022, 05:56 AM   #7

Just ordered the 4200. Amazon is great. As far as the alcohol prep, I had a coating to protect the gelcoat put on when I purchased the trailer. Will the alcohol remove this or just clean the outside?
Old 01-28-2022, 09:14 AM   #8

Without knowing what the extra coating was, I could only guess. Seems unlikely a quick swipe of alcohol would hurt it.
Isn't 4200 a glue? Not they way I would personally go for something I planned to remove later.
Key to the 03609 tape I use is the foam center. That's what you cut when you remove it. It gives you a sacrificial area to work. This means you leave residue on both sides that is ever so much easier to deal with in a manner that won't disturb your paint/gelcoat finish or that part. Now if you just try to grab and yank, I expect any of these tapes are liable to break the finish. A lot of this tape's removal can be done by rubbing it with your finger. For final cleanup I like 3M's General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner which also is neat stain remover for fabrics.
Currently this tape has been holding a solar/motion detector entryway light over my RV's entrance door, for example. I stuck it to the gelcoat without second thought. I can't imagine the gelcoat being damaged in any way by it's use. It's been up about a year so far.
Old 01-29-2022, 04:48 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4everlooking View Post
Just ordered the 4200. Amazon is great. As far as the alcohol prep, I had a coating to protect the gelcoat put on when I purchased the trailer. Will the alcohol remove this or just clean the outside?
Don't know where my mind wsa at in this post. I didn't order the 4200 because it isn't a tape. I orderedd the 3M tape that was so graciously pointed out. My bad on the post but thanks to the people on this forum, I'll come out good

Tags
camera, trailer