Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-14-2021, 07:34 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Traveler 1000 aiming question

Having a problem with Dish network and the dish on the roof. Can't get any satellites lined up and of course no channels. I've gone through everything that I can think of, next step is to get a long coax cable and run it from the roof directly to the back of the receiver. I do have trees on the western side of the coach but nothing south or slightly southwest. I'm under the impression that the trees shouldn't be an issue because the dish should point due south, maybe I am misinformed. I have the antenna for regular tv turned off and I do have a signal from the receiver to the tv. Not sure what else to check.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-14-2021, 08:04 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
Having a problem with Dish network and the dish on the roof. Can't get any satellites lined up and of course no channels. I've gone through everything that I can think of, next step is to get a long coax cable and run it from the roof directly to the back of the receiver. I do have trees on the western side of the coach but nothing south or slightly southwest. I'm under the impression that the trees shouldn't be an issue because the dish should point due south, maybe I am misinformed. I have the antenna for regular tv turned off and I do have a signal from the receiver to the tv. Not sure what else to check.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
depending on where you are the sats could be south, SW or SE relative to you. suggest you get the 'Dish For My RV' app ($). it uses your device's camera to show you where the sats are relative to your position on earth.

rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 08:12 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Does it search and not find satellites or does it lock on but no reception?
Old 05-14-2021, 09:11 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO Pilot View Post
neither. it shows you where the sats are and, using the phone or tablet's camera, if anything is in the way...trees, buildings, etc. if you have a manually aimed dish it would help aim the dish. we also have a rooftop Trav'ler and use the app often when selecting a campsite.
rk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:16 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
neither. it shows you where the sats are and, using the phone or tablet's camera, if anything is in the way...trees, buildings, etc. if you have a manually aimed dish it would help aim the dish. we also have a rooftop Trav'ler and use the app often when selecting a campsite.
I wasn't asking about the App. I was asking what the OP's Travler is doing.
Old 05-14-2021, 09:48 PM   #6

If you have the 3 sats on your controller as locked in it may be the 3 cables from the lnbs to the base.

From Winegard

A faulty cable that connects the vertical port C to the LNB. To test that, what you would want to do is go up on the roof, and start swapping the cables that connect the vertical ports of the turret to the LNB. Start with A+C, then try B+C. Power the antenna on after each swap to see if the issue goes away.

Replacing the 3 cables with a set purchased from Winegard fixed my issue.
Old 05-15-2021, 07:41 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rk911 View Post
depending on where you are the sats could be south, SW or SE relative to you. suggest you get the 'Dish For My RV' app ($). it uses your device's camera to show you where the sats are relative to your position on earth.

I have the ( my dish app) where I pay all my bills and change my locals at. I can't find this feature anywhere to show you were the satellites are. I've also looked in the android play store for the ( dish for my rv app) and none pop up with that exact name, theres several dish apps, wich app are you referring to? Maybe you can post a screen shot of the app.
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Billett Bee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 08:34 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
It is hard to answer because at first it would spin and try to look but now it appears locked on and facing one location, but, it can't be because it shows no satellites locked on.

Think I will get on the roof and see what the wires look like. Thanks for all of the suggestions.
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:55 AM   #9

Search Play Store for 'winegard tv signal finder app'.

It supports TV station and satellite locating for all the satellites networks that winegard supports.

It also has an augmented reality mode where you can use your camera to point it at the sky to see where the satellites are.Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210515-115341_Google%20Play%20Store.jpeg
Views:	5
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	328341Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20210515-115507_TV%20Signal%20Finder.jpeg
Views:	6
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	328342
mjeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 09:58 AM   #10

So if you're on the west coast, your dish antenna should point almost south. But if you're on the east coast say in Florida it will point more west than south.
Old 05-15-2021, 03:43 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjeffrey View Post
Search Play Store for 'winegard tv signal finder app'.

It supports TV station and satellite locating for all the satellites networks that winegard supports.

It also has an augmented reality mode where you can use your camera to point it at the sky to see where the satellites are.Attachment 328341Attachment 328342
What if the satellite is a playmaker and not a winegard, Will that app work?
20 ram 3500 ho hd drw Laramie Cummins/aisin w/410 & auto level air suspension with max tow . BILLET silver sport ext. w/ black int. with 12" monitor with all safety features, camera , & luxuries. Full timers & building a Luxe 48fb w/ side patio.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:10 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I use an app called Winegard TV Signal Finder. It doesn't care if you even have a Satellite Dish of any kind.
Old 05-15-2021, 05:50 PM   #13

Quote:
I use an app called Winegard TV Signal Finder. It doesn't care if you even have a Satellite Dish of any kind.
Old 05-15-2021, 10:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billett Bee View Post
What if the satellite is a playmaker and not a winegard, Will that app work?
If it uses Dish Network satellites then it should work.

3 in the east, 3 in the west. Traveler only uses the west 3.

We also have a Pathway X2 that can use the east 3 or west 3.

Update: the App also supports DirecTV and Shaw and Bell since Winegard has products for each.

Tags
travel