Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2020, 08:02 PM   #1

Traveler SK-1000 want to add Dish to 2011 Class A

Hello, Newbie Here.
We purchased a 2011 Itasca motorhome 3 years ago. Previous owner upgraded satellite to a SK-1000 with Dish antenna with a 3 LNB (maybe Eastern Arc?). They had a Hopper with Sling and a wired Joey but kept them at time of sale. Now, we want to get Dish as we are going full time. We will be mostly west, but will also spend a fair amount of time east.

What should I get?
I would like to get a Hopper 3, and Joey, I think, but when I originally called Dish, they said I would have to use a Wally, single tuner, but I think maybe that isn't right.

The outputs from the satellite controller cabinet to the TVs is RGB, so I was thinking, rather than try to get everything re-wired to HDMI, install a HDMI to RGB converter. Main and bedroom each have HDMI local to the cabinet next to each TV. Bedroom has sat coax as well, so I figure the HDMI is for the Joey. The main tv has no sat coax local to the TV, so I figure that HDMI is for a BlueRay.

We will no longer have a brick and stick house, so I guess we are at Dish's mercy for RV service plans.

Here some info on my "equipment".
Traveler SK-1000 with this LNB

Can anyone tell me which model LNB this is? If it isn't the correct one, how easy/difficult is it to get the correct one? (I can turn a wrench)
AV Switch AVS100HD-01
Samsung DVD/5.1 Surround Receiver combo Model HT-C550XAA
Samsung HDTVs

1. Will the Hopper 3 work in the main sat cabinet with the HDMI to RGB converter to get signal from the Hopper to the AV Switch?
2. If the Hopper 3 will work, then the wired Joey will work, and if not, a wireless Joey will.
3. Will Dish let me have that setup in the RV?
4. Should I buy the Hopper and Joey myself online then call Dish for programming or should I get them from Dish?

Any other advice?

Thanks in advance,
Barry
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LNB.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	296592   Click image for larger version

Name:	LNB Model A212A2-WL131BGF2 .jpg
Views:	20
Size:	96.7 KB
ID:	296593  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dish with Traveler.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	296595  
tngengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-10-2020, 12:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngengineer View Post
What should I get?
I would like to get a Hopper 3, and Joey, I think, but when I originally called Dish, they said I would have to use a Wally, single tuner, but I think maybe that isn't right.
I along with many others have Hoppers in our RV. DISH reps are just giving you the "party line".

Contact a local satellite TV installer, not DISH, to do the install . . . and get the Hopper 3 and Joey.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tngengineer View Post
Here some info on my "equipment".
Traveler SK-1000 with this LNB . . . (photos deleted)

Can anyone tell me which model LNB this is? If it isn't the correct one, how easy/difficult is it to get the correct one?
From your photos, you have a Western Arc (sats 110, 119, 129) DISH Pro Plus LNBF. This is the "standard" LNBF that comes with a Travler. You don't need to change it. Here's how to wire a Hopper 3 -- you'll need a DPH42 switch and a Hybrid Solo Hub.

Also, I suggest you get a portable dish setup when you're parked under trees or when you need to access DISH's Eastern Arc (61.5, 72.7, 77) sats. Here's tripod wiring setup -- notice that you should use DISH Pro Hybrid (DPH) LNBFs on the tripod. That way you only have to run a single coax from the tripod to the RV.

Suggested tripod equipment:

- Heavy Duty Tripod

- DISH 1000.2 dish with a Western Arc DPH LNBF and an Eastern Arc LNBF (check out www.solidsignal.com)
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:52 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Did they leave the hopper wiring in place? If so, you may already have the needed wiring but maybe not depending on which hopper they had, hopper 2 or 3.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:43 PM   #4

Maybe a wireless Joey?

Thanks for the assistance. I spoke with SolidSignal and they are saying pretty much the same.

My current issue is finding the source of the coax leading to the bedroom Sat jack. It definitely doesn't originate in the cabinet which held the original Hopper. And I see no hub or switch in there. Further, there are two coax penetrating the roof, but only one entering the entertainment cabinet. Perhaps the 2nd roof penetrating coax runs directly to the bedroom.

If that is the case, then I probably can't install the 42 on the roof and get a wired Joey for the bedroom without calling in an expert installer, something I am loathe to do because we are moving out of our house and into the RV and hitting the road in 30 days. If it can't be done quickly, by me, then it just has to wait or not get done at all.

Maybe what I can do is install the 42 switch on the roof, the power injector in the entertainment cabinet, and a racetrack wireless hub connected to the Hopper 3 and wireless Joey in the bedroom. That Joey could be hauled outside to drive that TV if desired.

A 2nd portable dish is out of the question unless and until we determine we will have room to stow it.

Barry
tngengineer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
class a, dish, travel