Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-06-2021, 05:39 PM   #1

National RV Owners Club
TST 507 Question

Hi Folks,

I have a 507 TST System on my Tradewinds and have had one on my MH and Toad since before TST took over the Systems from the guy in Colorado many years ago. My problem today is I had two sensors that would not register on the monitor. I took one off on an inside tire and there was no air release as I unscrewed it nor was there a beeping from the monitor that showed it gone. I tried to see how much psi was in the tire with my tire gauge, it was really slow in showing only 80 psi. I thought it was the Valve core being too short so I went and got a couple of new ones thinking that maybe mine were too short, but the shop I went to said they are all the same size. But sometimes they can go bad. On the way home I decided to replace the battery in the problem sensor before I changed the valve core. Well to my SURPRISE when I put the sensor back on my monitor started to beep. I moved it past that tire and around checking the other readings until I got back to the one that wasn't reading before, well it was working and showed my psi at 105 just like the others (really hot here-105). So I changed out the battery on the front sensor and after installing it back on it also works. This was yesterday, I checked it out just a few mins ago and no problems, all sensors are working.

So here is my question to other TST 507 owners, why didn't my sensor low battery alert work or at least show up on the monitor? Anyone else ever experience this before.
sgtjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-06-2021, 05:43 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I've never had (or maybe noticed) mine showing a low battery alert. When they stop working I assume it's time to put in a new battery, which fixes the problem. When I change one I change them all, working on the assumption that if one has gone bad the rest can't be too far from doing the same thing.
Old 07-06-2021, 05:47 PM   #3
NXR

Quote:
So here is my question to other TST 507 owners, why didn't my sensor low battery alert work or at least show up on the monitor? Anyone else ever experience this before.

The battery life is one to one and a half years so I just change mine every year.

If these were rear tires it's possible the transmitter was too weak to reach the display up front.

Ray
Old 07-06-2021, 06:44 PM   #4

Maybe the low battery monitor operates off of voltage. The problem is lithium batteries' voltage doesn't drop until right before they're dead-dead. So the window to report low voltage is pretty narrow.

I run into this with my battery-powered home automation devices. If I run alkaline I'll get the notification most of the time but the batteries don't last as long, especially in winter. If I use lithium they last longer but I often don't get a notification.
Old 07-06-2021, 07:03 PM   #5
NXR

TST 507 Question

Quote:
Maybe the low battery monitor operates off of voltage. The problem is lithium batteries' voltage doesn't drop until right before they're dead-dead. So the window to report low voltage is pretty narrow.

My newer non-spinning cap sensors use CR2032 batteries. When I replaced them this year after a year and a half, as it turned out, they all were right at 3.0 volts versus 3.3 volts for the new ones. No indications of problems yet.

Ray
Old 07-06-2021, 07:38 PM   #6

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumline View Post

I run into this with my battery-powered home automation devices. If I run alkaline I'll get the notification most of the time but the batteries don't last as long, especially in winter. If I use lithium they last longer but I often don't get a notification.
This must be what happened since neither of my lithium batteries
were totally dead. I just checked an extra sensor from an older system and found that the battery in it is not a Lithium, so what you said makes sense. Thanks for the info.
sgtjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:43 PM   #7

We change the sensor batteries every January first, along with the smoke alarms, alarm sensors and the weather station batteries. If it is important, it gets new batteries to start the year. If you are wise enough to have a tpms, why sacrifice the service it provides by waiting for a sensor to go dead before you put in a new battery?
Martian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2021, 04:54 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Hi Folks,

I have a 507 TST System on my Tradewinds and have had one on my MH and Toad since before TST took over the Systems from the guy in Colorado many years ago. My problem today is I had two sensors that would not register on the monitor. I took one off on an inside tire and there was no air release as I unscrewed it nor was there a beeping from the monitor that showed it gone. I tried to see how much psi was in the tire with my tire gauge, it was really slow in showing only 80 psi. I thought it was the Valve core being too short so I went and got a couple of new ones thinking that maybe mine were too short, but the shop I went to said they are all the same size. But sometimes they can go bad. On the way home I decided to replace the battery in the problem sensor before I changed the valve core. Well to my SURPRISE when I put the sensor back on my monitor started to beep. I moved it past that tire and around checking the other readings until I got back to the one that wasn't reading before, well it was working and showed my psi at 105 just like the others (really hot here-105). So I changed out the battery on the front sensor and after installing it back on it also works. This was yesterday, I checked it out just a few mins ago and no problems, all sensors are working.

I change mine often. once a year at least. So darn cheap why not make sure they are powered up. I guess I never new they had a low battery indicator, not sure mine does I have the EEZRV system.

https://www.amazon.com/LiCB-CR2032-L...xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==
amosnandy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2021, 01:01 PM   #9

As others have noted, issues start when voltage is 3.0 or lower.
Old 07-29-2021, 02:30 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtjoe View Post
Hi Folks,

The monitor must be on for the alert to work. If your monitor is off when the sensor sends the alert for a low battery you wont get it until the monitor is on. If you don’t turn your monitor on before the sensor dies, than you wont get the alert as the sensor is no longer sending out information.
Petey11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2021, 08:29 AM   #11
NXR

Coincidentally, a friend with a TST 507 just told me that he got a Low Battery warning while driving in the past few weeks. He said it sets off the same shrill warning as when he had a tire go flat, so it definitely caught his attention.

Probably better to just change the batteries before that happens.

Ray