Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-19-2008, 03:19 AM   #1

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ive been watching for someone to address this coming issue. Has anyone installed one (2)?...rgr..
rgrstndgby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-19-2008, 03:19 AM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ive been watching for someone to address this coming issue. Has anyone installed one (2)?...rgr..
Old 02-19-2008, 06:02 AM   #3

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I bought the digital converter box in Louisiana in Dec. Love it. We were getting four very poor very showy channels on our tv via the antenna on the rv. After we installed the box and got going we got 10 clear channels. It was not hard to install. Cable in from antenna and the three color cables out to tv.
MtManLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 05:53 PM   #4

Cable in from antenna to selector box is easy to disconnect and connect to converter box, then how do you get 3 cables to the selector box from the converter box? I thought this was going to be an easy fix by putting the converter box between the antenna and the selector box. How do you use 3 cables going to the TV? Sounds complicated.
Wagonmaster2
Old 02-19-2008, 06:39 PM   #5

If the only output available it the 3 RCA leads then you will need to buy a converter for this as well. Radio Shack sells an RCA to coax converter that will take the RCA out, convert it to coax which you can then lead back into your Video Control Center. The fun part is that you will have to change TV channels at the converter box and not on your TV. Whoopee!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 11:46 AM   #6

I was looking into this as well, and one more thing I've been cautioned on is:

The batwing antenna needs to get power to work and it either uses a power supply with the cigarette lighter plug on the front, or it uses the selector box (Video Switch). The converter will block that power, and your reception will be hurt by it if you put it between the antenna and the video switch.

From the way I understand it, it is easiest to put the converter between the video switch and the TV, but not every TV may have the 3 colored inputs open.
Go4Broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2008, 05:37 PM   #7

You do have to use the 3 color cables from the box to the TV? The box doesn't use the regular cable in from the antenna and the same type cable on out to the TV? That means getting to the back of the TV somehow to insert the 3 cables, which may not be that easy in the overhead cabinet. Nothing is ever easy or simple anymore is it?
Wagonmaster2
Old 02-21-2008, 08:54 PM   #8

I got one of the Wiengard Digital boxes last year, and Radio Shack said they no longer carried the 'RF modulator' to convert the Red/White/Yello output to RF so the coach distribution switch could distribute the signal.

I found a very small RF modulator at Best Buy, so can view digital on all TVs now.
Old 02-22-2008, 01:25 AM   #9

I just bought an Insignia box from Best Buy yesterday...coax in from antenna, coax out to TV...piece of cake to install.
Old 02-22-2008, 07:04 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I also bought the Insignia at Best Buy for $49.95. The best way to install is using the RF out and connecting to the AUX position and using Ch3 or CH4 (same as on your VCR). In AUX you will see digital channels in ANT your will see analog channels. Switching channels must be done with the converter remote. If you don't care about the analog channels anymore, you can just plug the converter into the ANT position.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:08 PM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
First, please let me appologize to all who answered my question about digital conversion boxes. I didnt know at the time I was going to be away from a computer for so long. I know its frustrating trying to help someone, and they seemingly evaporate. Again, sorry, and thanks...rgr...