Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2014, 10:17 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
TV / Home Theatre Upgrade idea's/advice

Hi,
Sorry if this is answered on another post but I couldn't find it if it was.

We have a '04 Monaco Dynasty and are considering an upgrade to our tv's and home theatre. Just in the early stages of this potential project.

We would like to upgrade to flat screen HD tv's and that would have larger screens that we have now.
Also wanting to upgrade the home theatre so we can play dvd's/blue ray and connect an iPod/pc. We also have satellite/cable needs.

May consider some speaker upgrades of the same size as we find the current ones to be decent.

Currently have the Sharp Aquo's (30") with large speakers on the side that in total measures corner to corner 44". In replacing it I feel we could go to a size of approx 42' or so depending on how it would sit in the existing cabinet that we want to continue to use.

Rear tv is a 20" screen however corner to corner of the speakers is 30".

If anyone has any advice on what to watch for as we go through this, product suggestions and also potential outlets that would install we would appreciate it.
12v units are not required for us and we would use residential type equipment.
We are in Arizona this winter, Florida next winter.

Thanks!
Dave
Globetrotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2014, 10:47 AM   #2

I just completed a similar changeover on our 05. After struggling to find TV's that fit within the openings, I just went larger and installed articulating arms that when the TV is retracted it fits over the framework. This did require the thinnest TV I could find. The bedroom TV is a Sony which I already had, the main TV is a Sharp. The original main TV was also a Sharp Aquos with the separate tuner. That had to go when the TV was removed and it was replaced with a Sony 5.1 home theater system. A separate DVD was also needed since the original setup had the DVD as part of the in dash radio/nav system. A new dash radio also went in. As far as satellite and cable wiring I had a RF Mogul auto dish installed which required snaking a new control cable between the headliner and roof to get it to the forward cabinet. Since Monaco only installed one outside cable port in the service bay I had to rewire the cable to allow me to switch between cable service or a portable DTV dish if needed. I also needed to add an amp to the factory subwoofer that was seemingly installed and the coach built around it. I maintained the factory speakers and I am happy with them for now. I would suggest removing the front TV before attempting any wiring. I found a large empty space that allowed easier access when running cables from one side to another. Also, photograph and label all wires. I used a cable toner to verify which cable went where. I'll be in Az come Jan also.
falconman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 11:46 AM   #3

Send a message via Yahoo to Garbageman
I did this in my '06 Endeavor last winter. The one thing to, which you are, is planning. I measured the cabinet space I had available for the components that I was replacing/adding. I ran into some frustrations but eventually found the right components for my needs. Running modern wiring for Satellite TV, HDMI for AV connections and power source connections. Make sure the components you plan to purchase have all the in and out ports needed the entertainment system you are designing. If you are not replacing the speakers insure you match the speaker impedance with the new sound system.

I was replacing the RCA DVD/VCR surround sound component. I really didn't want to replace the speakers so after a lot of searching I ended up purchasing a Samsung Smart Home Theater system. I choose this system because it had the built in amp to power the sub woofer. I wasn't going to use the speakers in the box so I spliced the original speaker wires in the cabinet to the connectors from the new speakers and plugged them in. I also ran all the TV connections through the Blu ray and retained the A/V switch box.

Once everything was connected and installed I couldn't be happier. The system works perfectly, the TV picture is beautiful and the sound system is far better than original even though I used the existing speakers.

It was worth the effort.

Paul
Garbageman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014, 12:05 PM   #4

I rewired my Newmar because I wasn't sure of the quality of the existing cable, added a Winegard Travler, and replaced 2 existing TVs (living room & bedroom) and added a third basement TV.

Then I added a 5.1 speaker system and built it around a Marantz 1603 AV receiver. This is a very short receiver and can fit into RV cabinets better than a typical "tall" receiver.

Here's a description of my AV system install.

Before you start, I'd suggest doing a wiring diagram of what will connect with what.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2014, 09:50 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
TV / Audio upgrades

Thanks everyone for your contributions/insights. I really appreciate it.

Dave
Old 12-12-2014, 11:35 AM   #6

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I upgraded mine last year. My 2007 HR came from the factory with LCD tvs so they were closer to true flat screens, but were analog so HR included digital tuners for each tv in order to be able to use the satellite, etc. Interestingly, the tv compartment boxes were still the old design suitable for a bigger tube tv and HR just put in an LCD flatscreen into the existing tube box. I decided to switch over to new HD flat screens and attempted to find the biggest screen I could that would fit into the existing opening.....

Then I realized I didn't need to fit inside the existing opening....just attach a bracket and hang the new tv outside the existing box. It only adds an inch or so in total depth and most importantly, the tv can be as big as I want...

I elected to avoid blocking any other cabinet doors, so I bought tvs that fit between existing cabinet doors...but that still allowed me to install tvs about 25% bigger than what I had before and I can open the cabinets next to the tvs. I had them professionally installed at an RV store and the installer built brackets to hold the tvs....he did not use floating, articulating arms...he worries about the vibration etc that the coach will put upon the tvs, so he always uses fixed mounts. I am personally more comfortable with his solution so I was limited in screen size to some degree, but I still have a 40 incher!
Old 12-12-2014, 02:25 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Thanks a bunch for the info!!
Old 12-12-2014, 02:49 PM   #8

I've done some work in my older 1997 Endeavor and based it what I really "need". Because location of the TV was important to me, I located the 32" Sony HDTV at mid-cabin on an articulated mount. Surround sound and sub-woofer were totally unimportant to me (because the interior space is quite small) so I chose not to implement them. I did install a soundbar. All living room components are standalone (DVD player, DishNetwork receiver, OTA/Cable Recorder, and TV). The bedroom TV is a 24" Samsung HDTV and is coax attached to either cable or OTA (I chose not to implement Dish in the bedroom). It works for me ...

I have the option of moving any of the TVs to the outside by just lifting them off their mount and placing them on the (included with box purchase) stand and connecting the appropriate cable Sat/OTA/cable).

I assume "stuff" will change as time goes by so I try to do flexible stuff ... as in, VCR what ... ???
Old 12-12-2014, 05:08 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
We also have a 2004 Dynasty with what sounds like the same OEM televisions.

This summer I had a new front cabinet built that was the same width but a little taller so that I was able to install a new Vizio 42" and a 38" soundbar underneath it. This allows me to keep the cabinet and avoid the use of the rear facing speakers so it doesn't sound like it is in a barrel. The cabinet makes the whole thing look like it came from the factory that way, which was our goal.

Put a DirecTV DVR above the Sony DVD system with HDMI cable. Added another 10 ft. HDMI so we could set a computer on the steering wheel and play either audio or video from it.

Wired the Audio Out from the TV to both the soundbar and the DVD system giving us the choice of 5.1 through the DVD or 2.1 through the soundbar.

Doing this with the digital TV's allowed us to be able to use the OTA antenna again for local channel reception. Don't use it much since we have the distant networks with DirecTV but it allows for that flexibility.

I removed the antiquated switching panel from the equipment cabinet.
In the bedroom I kept the old cabinet and built a new face frame to mount a Vizio 28" TV (720p) with forward facing speakers. I made a 2 inch high cabinet slot under the TV for a DirecTV receiver and a Blu-Ray player.

The only downside is that I am unable to receive DirecTV in HD. Otherwise we are very happy with it it.
iahsatcs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 05:20 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by iahsatcs View Post
We also have a 2004 Dynasty with what sounds like the same OEM televisions.

This summer I had a new front cabinet built that was the same width but a little taller so that I was able to install a new Vizio 42" and a 38" soundbar underneath it. This allows me to keep the cabinet and avoid the use of the rear facing speakers so it doesn't sound like it is in a barrel. The cabinet makes the whole thing look like it came from the factory that way, which was our goal.

Put a DirecTV DVR above the Sony DVD system with HDMI cable. Added another 10 ft. HDMI so we could set a computer on the steering wheel and play either audio or video from it.

Wired the Audio Out from the TV to both the soundbar and the DVD system giving us the choice of 5.1 through the DVD or 2.1 through the soundbar.

Doing this with the digital TV's allowed us to be able to use the OTA antenna again for local channel reception. Don't use it much since we have the distant networks with DirecTV but it allows for that flexibility.

I removed the antiquated switching panel from the equipment cabinet.
In the bedroom I kept the old cabinet and built a new face frame to mount a Vizio 28" TV (720p) with forward facing speakers. I made a 2 inch high cabinet slot under the TV for a DirecTV receiver and a Blu-Ray player.

The only downside is that I am unable to receive DirecTV in HD. Otherwise we are very happy with it it.
Nice !! ... sounds like practical choices. You can upgrade the sat to HD as you feel the need.
Old 12-15-2014, 09:14 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
We are currently going through an entertainment (and other) upgrade in our '05 MADP. Hopefully it will be ready for pickup later this week.

When we purchased this rig earlier this year we immediately identified the to upgrade the original front TV and "head banger" cabinet as well as replace the floor covering.

Ours is a 3-slide floorplan with a short 2-person leather couch on the curb side of the living room (no slide) and a large leather couch in the slide on the driver side. We had the large couch removed and placed two recliners and a small cabinet in its place. While visiting Shipshewana, Indiana on a recent trip we got the same recliners as our used in the new Newmars directly from the manufacturer so they are a good match though we went with a shade darker tan color.

Our rig is now in a shop in Junction City, OR where they are replacing the living room carpet, making cabinet alterations and installing a new TV.

The old TV cabinet up front is coming completely out. The space is being filled with a new cabinet section that matches the original cabinets to its left and right. No more banging shoulders and heads into it.

Our short couch on the curb side is being moved out about 4-6 inches and a thin cabinet with a televator is going in behind it. The press of a remote will then cause a new 1080p HD TV to rise up out of the cabinet. With this situated directly across from our new reliners it should make for some comfy viewing. When we want light to shower in through the window or when travelling the TV descends down into its cabinet, out of sight. We choose to go with a 40" smart TV but the space is large enough for up to a 48 inch TV.

Our front carpet is also being replaced with a mid-brown color that provides contrast to our tan furnishings.

If you are not doing the work yourself, take care with who is doing the work and the cost. As many of you know, there are a number of shops in the Junction City area familiar with this type of work. We took our rig to a few and found prices (without the TV and other entertainment components) ranging from $5K to $8.5K for essentially the same work.

Tags
advice, upgrade