Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2012, 02:35 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
TV reception interference

Was amazed this weekend just how bad my tv signal was. We were camping at Atwood lake. When we got in at four, I tuned the tv,(old tv with new digital converter. I got 8 stations and just figured that would be fine. That night we were trying to watch TV, and the signal was horrendous. After an hour of fiddling with all the connections, I discovered my portable oxygen machine when plugged in was causing it. I usually run it on the battery, but the battery was low so I kept it plugged in. It has as power supply that uses AC or dc.

I then went around the RV trying the fans and other things, as it turns out even the darn bathroom fan causes the TV TO GET bad reception and low signal.

I am assuming the digital converter I bought is the problem, it must need some type of filter.

Anyone else experienced the same problem, and if so what did you do?
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:43 AM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Problem is signal strength: The bathroom fan is often a Permanent Magnet motor, these are very noisy (electronically, or Radio wise) and if the TV signal is week they will trash your reception. Florescent and LED lighting can do it too. Some of the systems in an RV (Fridge, Converter, Inverter, epically MSW inverter) can also mess you up.

So what can be done? The basic Winegard Sensare II (Batwing) is a good antenna for VHF, not so good on UHF, add the wingman and you delete the "not so" on UHF, (This brings up UHF performance to match VHF) This antenna has a built in amplifier, it needs 12 volts which is provided via the coax cable, comes from the switch inside the RV (be it a wall plate or a box of many buttons) It does not hurt to make sure this is working.

Next let's talk about aiming: You need to do this, the way an antenna gets gain is by developing what might well be called "Tunnel vision" the smaller the field of vision (The angel it can see) the farther it can see So aiming becomes more important.

Next, I mentioned the wall plate or button box indoors.. The SENSAR PRO (about 90 bucks more or less) replaces the wall plate, it not only provides power to the antenna, and switches between CABLE and ANT. like the old wall plate. but provides (optionally) additional gain (or attuenation user adjustable) and a signal search and strength indicatior, Very handy for aiming.

Finally if you are far enough out the odd bird flying by, leaves blowing in the wind and such,, all this affects UHF way more than VHF, and most of the stations today are UHF.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:24 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thank you, I wish I could aim the antenna, but it just goes from flat on the roof to up. No aiming available. I know the electrical amplifier works because I've tired to tune with and without it. I'm going to change out the 12 year old TV's with LED TV's. At that point I will just invest in a new distribution box that is amplified electrically, and go from there. Until then, I sure won't be having my oxygen machine plugged in while watching TV.

We have 3 fans in the home, plus the furnace and A/C units. They all cause static on the TV I have now. I will look in my manuals to see how I can aim the antenna.
Old 08-29-2012, 11:29 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Looks like I'll be buying the sensor pro, and some kind of "aimable" antenna also.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:01 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You say it goes from flat to up but no rotation? What kind of antenna is it, IF this is the batwing you pull down on the ring and it turns, (The ring aro und the up/down crank)
Old 08-29-2012, 04:33 PM   #6

There should be no interferance from noisy motors or fans if you have a digital tv. I suspect the the problem is a poor ground in the antenna circuit. Or the converter. A new tv will make a BIG difference.
Did you pull down the ring above the crank before you try to turn the antenna?
winnymini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 06:12 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by winnymini
There should be no interferance from noisy motors or fans if you have a digital tv. I suspect the the problem is a poor ground in the antenna circuit. Or the converter. A new tv will make a BIG difference.
Did you pull down the ring above the crank before you try to turn the antenna?
Actually, the crank handle kept coming off. When that happened the ring above kept falling down also. It was easy to fix just tightening up the Allen screw, but the spring holds up the ring. I will have to see if turning it will actually rotate the antenna. It seems like the two rings locked together but they also had markings on them. I was wondering what they did. Thank you, I'll go out and see if I can rotate the antenna.
Old 08-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Yes there are two rings, One fits flush against the ceiling, it has markings on it including one larger than the rest "arrow point" marking

The other ring should be slightly below it and has a matching arrow point, they should be alinged when it's lowered.

Now the lower ring pulls down against the spring and rotates, it has pins on top of it that go into holes in the upper ring to "lock" the antenna in position.

If you are missing a ring, Easily replaced, any RV store whoul have 'em INCLUDING but clearly not limited to camping world,, Standard repair kit,
Old 08-30-2012, 06:20 PM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Boy, now I am ready to make the 25 min drive to my garage just to see if that lower ring turns the antenna! I'll be obsessing about it overnight. I've turned the ring before but I did not hear anything move. Just when I thought I knew most everything about my coach, something this simple comes up and I'm reminded how much I don't know.