RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-19-2020, 10:41 AM   #1

TV Streaming

I am interested in TV Streaming device for our TV.
1) What device do you have?
2) How is it installed?
3) Can you use any streaming service?
4) What streaming service do you use and why?
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2020, 10:51 AM   #2

Roku on TV
Streaming on my Ipad
Streaming on my Iphone.

61 channels for $20 a month.... that's all I need.

https://www.philo.com/login/subscrib...o.com%2Fplayer

I could watch free tv, but I rather pay the $20.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:20 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Cheapest and easiest I've seen is the Amazon Firestick. If you watch for Prime Day, you might be able to get the 4K version for as little as $30. If not, the standard HD is available for that price.

Easy to install, cheap, and supports most streaming services. We use NetFlix, Amazon Prime, Hulu, and YouTube, but many others are supported. You can also load Kodi or VLC media player to play media from a network source or locally attached USB device with an additional adapter cable. We've had NetFlix for years and Amazon Prime came with Prime membership. Each one has a selection of movies and TV shows that isn't available on the other. Prime has a fairly large selection of movies and TV shows that are "included with Prime" as well as a lot of "rental" or purchase content. All of the offerings on NetFlix streaming are included in their base price.

If you're interested in streaming "live" tv such as local channels and/or typical cable channels, YouTube TV streams those, but at a cost similar to cable TV. I haven't used it, but I believe there are many here who have...

The Firestick is an HDMI "Dongle" that plugs directly into an HDMI port (a short extension is included if it's too tight to fit directly). It comes with a USB power adapter.

Over the years I've owned many media players: OH!Play, Popcorn hour, Seagate, no-name Android media players, and various smart TVs. I also have multiple TiVos for DVR. However, I've added Firesticks to most of my TVs because they are so versatile. All of the media players have other than the Firesticks have been relegated to the junk heap for one reason or another and most of them cost considerably more than the Firestick. Most of the smart TVs and the streaming support on the TiVos are much slower response and clunkier interfaces. I only wish that TiVo would provide an Android app to stream from their DVRs...
Old 09-19-2020, 12:22 PM   #4
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We have Rokus on each of our TVs. IMHO there really is a performance difference between the Roku Ultra and the Roku Streaming Stick+.

I can't make any comparison between a Roku and a Firestick or other streaming device.

As for streaming services we use YouTube TV for basic TV and cable channels (~$69/mo). We also have subscriptions to Netflix, HBO, Acorn TV, Amazon Prime and Britbox. For us, the top two would be Netflix and Acorn.
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:22 PM   #5

Just found another plan that I like their software better.

It's $6 a month for 15 channels.

About all I watch is INSP anyway.... Gunsmoke, Bonanza, etc.

https://www.frndlytv.com/
Old 09-19-2020, 12:38 PM   #6

Question

Is any of these, or other tv programing able to be used or relayed through/using a smart phone? Where we live over-the-air tv isn't available. Grew up here in the 60s and 70s. Wasn't available then, either. At the present time using Directv. Not very impressed with prices going up and quality going down. Only internet available is with our flat 'phones. Hot spots allow us to use our laptops. Unlimited services on both 'phones. Just wondering if something like this is even possible. Thanks.
R Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 12:50 PM   #7

I stream the two I listed with the hotspot on my phone, but the data adds up pretty fast.

I use Visible for streaming...... $25 a month for unlimited.
Old 09-19-2020, 12:52 PM   #8

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bob View Post
Is any of these, or other tv programing able to be used or relayed through/using a smart phone? Where we live over-the-air tv isn't available. Grew up here in the 60s and 70s. Wasn't available then, either. At the present time using Directv. Not very impressed with prices going up and quality going down. Only internet available is with our flat 'phones. Hot spots allow us to use our laptops. Unlimited services on both 'phones. Just wondering if something like this is even possible. Thanks.

You can use most of the streaming services directly on a smart phone. If you can use the phone as a hot spot, you could stream to a FireStick or other streaming media device subject to the data limitations and throughput available.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:42 PM   #9

I'd go with the Roku over the firestick. Had a Roku for years. Worked flawlessly, always connected to WiFi immediately, fired up instantly, could run with limited internet bandwidth and had a crystal clear picture. I switched to a firestick to make it easier to cast downloaded Amazon Prime movies from my tablet to my TV. Well, the firestick refuses to connect to WiFi a lot of the time forcing me to reboot, then forget my WiFi connection, then add it back in. It's slow and I have to wait a minute after turning my TV on to get to my apps. It doesn't work when I have limited internet. It's dog slow loading selections and picture quality is sometimes slow. And now, when I cast a downloaded movie to it, I get the audio on my TV, but no video. I'm going back to Roku. It's well worth the extra 20 bucks.
Jlo11111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 01:57 PM   #10

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlo11111 View Post
I'd go with the Roku over the firestick. Had a Roku for years. Worked flawlessly, always connected to WiFi immediately, fired up instantly, could run with limited internet bandwidth and had a crystal clear picture. I switched to a firestick to make it easier to cast downloaded Amazon Prime movies from my tablet to my TV. Well, the firestick refuses to connect to WiFi a lot of the time forcing me to reboot, then forget my WiFi connection, then add it back in. It's slow and I have to wait a minute after turning my TV on to get to my apps. It doesn't work when I have limited internet. It's dog slow loading selections and picture quality is sometimes slow. And now, when I cast a downloaded movie to it, I get the audio on my TV, but no video. I'm going back to Roku. It's well worth the extra 20 bucks.

I haven't experienced any of these issues with 3 FireStick HDs and 1 FireStick 4K. I haven't tried casting from a tablet to the FireStick, but use 3 of the FireSticks daily for watching local network content, YouTube, Prime, and Hulu. The fourth is permanently in the RV which I use when we travel. I've never used the Roku, so I can't compare it speed wise, but have no complaints about the FireStick.
Old 09-19-2020, 01:58 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
TV Streaming

My Roku tv ( built in) is exactly opposite . Always disconnecting from the WiFi .. at least it remembers the login but requires me to tell it to log in again. Fire sticks on other tvís auto connect and stay connected. The casitas main tv is a Visio with its own system and works ok not great ok
My problem is with 4 TVs 2in the casita 2in the motorhome and all different I have to remember how ea works. They each have their own idea of how to do streaming apps . They all work .. Iíd pick one and get used to it.
I love the cable tv experience and will pay for it so use youtubetv 74 bucks with Florida tax and it travels well giving me locals where I am ( decides from my WiFi location) and all my ďrecorded ď news and local programs I put into my library as soon as they are done.
Plus a plethora of other free streaming apps and paid premium apps
BillJinOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 02:16 PM   #12
WiFiRanger Ambassador

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Bob View Post
You most likely have different data limits for data used "on your phones" and data used on the phone's hotspot. The hotspot data is much more limited.

Many of us on this forum maintain one or more low-cost cellular data plans that are unlimited but are "network managed" which means that the cellular company can control your speed. Personally, I have three such plans that I use in a load balancing router.

If you don't mind having a cable connected to your TV you might also be able to connect your phone directly to the TV. This bypasses the hotspot limitations of your cellular plan, so your phone's unlimited data can be used in a truly unlimited manner. This is easy to do with iPhones through the use of a Lightning-HDMI adapter. It can also be done with some, but not all, Android phones.

Joel (AKA docj)
docj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2020, 03:21 PM   #13

Howdy!

We have Apple phone and tablets which Apple made it difficult to stream using some things to TV. We started with a simple hardwire connection from our iPhone or iPad using a cable from the device to HDMI connection plugged into the TV. We have since purchased Apple TV connections which use uniimited hotspots to stream WiFi connection to stream to TV. We’ve been using Direct TV Now which has changed to AT&T TV Now. Some don’t care for it but we are grandfathered into a low cost program when it first started. We have three unlimited data services we use AT&T, Verizon and just recently picked up a FMCA Sprint hotspot. Been streaming for three years now and believe we worked it any issues. Much happier streaming everything than when we had satellite.

“Happy Trails”
Chiefneon
chiefneon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2020, 06:15 AM   #14

National RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
We have Rokus on each of our TVs. IMHO there really is a performance difference between the Roku Ultra and the Roku Streaming Stick+.

I can't make any comparison between a Roku and a Firestick or other streaming device.

As for streaming services we use YouTube TV for basic TV and cable channels (~$69/mo). We also have subscriptions to Netflix, HBO, Acorn TV, Amazon Prime and Britbox. For us, the top two would be Netflix and Acorn.
This is what we have as well. The advantage is we have the same thing in the RV that we have at home, for no extra cost. Youtube TV gives you cloud DVR, so we can get that anywhere. If the Wi-Fi in the campground is weak (at least 50% of the time) we switch to our phones. With Consumer Cellular we have 35 gig a month. On our last month out we used our phones to stream about 75% of the time and did not go over our limit.

Al