Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-29-2022, 02:53 PM   #29

Freightliner Owners Club
I use the Winegard antenna that auto finds the channels very simple for over the air. The second is a dish tailgater. Again very simple to use.
2018 Weekend Warrior 4620 fifth wheel toy hauler
2upServant is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-29-2022, 02:54 PM   #30

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Going camping without TV is a solution, not a problem.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
That's the right answer
CptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:01 PM   #31

We have been Dish Satellite subscribers for years, and with a Dish Tailgater, we are able to tie in to our existing subscription for just an extra $7 / month. We had to buy the satellite and receiver, which in total was about $300. When we bought the satellite, they gave us a free Wally receiver. Not sure if they do that any more, but we got whole package for right at $300. Now we are able to watch all same channels in our motorhome that we can watch at home. We hardly ever hook up to campground cable (when they do have it).
Old 09-29-2022, 03:02 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_K5LXP View Post
Going camping without TV is a solution, not a problem.

Mark B.
Albuquerque, NM
This is the answer
2cyber71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 03:09 PM   #33

For me this is what works, for the TV’s I have streaming devices, I use nvidia shield but to use those well you need to be able to make changes, better for ease use Amazon fire stick or Roku device.
For the connection I use Starlink, not only do I stream TV you can get phone service if your phone allows Wi-Fi calling.

I also have an account on DirectTV stream, that allows me to get my local channels while on the road.
Old 09-29-2022, 03:58 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klibber View Post
What do you do when staying at a campground without cable to be able to watch TV? Using just the antenna gives me very spotty signal.
Thanks!
We bought a Fire-TV bring our Nomad Internet Wi-Fi. One TV has a Firestick & we bought a TV that has the Fire stick built in. it cost us $139.00 Our router for internet we just bring from home. It's service is geared for RV'ers & rural locations & we pay $149.00 a month for it.
LadyJ59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:18 PM   #35

No cable tv

What I do is take my movies on dvd plus a stand alone hard drive and just plug in in to the usb on the tv and have 40 different movies to watch when there is no cable or antenna signal watch
Tiffin747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:26 PM   #36

This may not work for everyone. We use our Verizon service and access Netflix etc with a hotspot. Lasts for a bit then goes to slow mode.
Cherylmcaloo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:32 PM   #37

Starlink

I use Amazon Fire stick and use hot spot on cell if campground signal is nil. I recently purchased a Starlink satellite connection for RV and that turned into a game changer. Secure connection and can stream almost anywhere.
Scullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:35 PM   #38

Alpine Owners Club
OTA antenna for us. If nothing comes in we play music during the day and then DVD player "movie date night" complete with real popcorn.
Satellite isn't an option for us, as we're surrounded by 120' Douglas Fir trees at home. Besides, and maybe it's just me, Network TV pretty much sucks these days. Reality TV for us is a good campfire and a decent bottle of Cabernet.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:37 PM   #39
tcg

For the people saying no TV is the answer, that's your answer for your lifestyle.

I take a portable hard drive (actually 2, one for my TV and one for my wife's) it's loaded with all our favorite shows and movies, hundreds, it's like my own TV station that I get to program. For Christmas I got my wife 50 Hallmark movies and transferred them to the drive. She has her own sappy TV channel.

We hike, ride bikes, run, or just sit outside but on rainy days or days when we're just not into outdoor stuff, and at night, we like to watch TV.
tcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:39 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddieddie View Post
I am using a verizon jetpack 8801, 4GLTE with two antenna ports and a stingray like antenna that plugs into it and sticks to a window. It requires a verizon phone plan. The jetpack is a router, modem and hot spot. i get a wifi and internet signal wherever I have camped even in more remote areas especially if I am near a Verian tower.
I've been hearing good things about the jet pack. Can you stream movies on sites like Hulu, Amazon prime etc. I had a Tailgater but any obstruction made it useless. You have an 8800 or what would you recommend?
boracho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 04:48 PM   #41

Outdoors RV Owners Club
Lots of Options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klibber View Post
What do you do when staying at a campground without cable to be able to watch TV? Using just the antenna gives me very spotty signal.
Thanks!
US the built in Winguard antenna; use a digital antenna (flat floppy plastic thing with a coax cable; Preferred is using my T-Mobile 5G hotspot and stream via Roku or Roku downloaded apps or the streaming apps on my iphone; using my Verizon cellphone as a hotspot and stream from that; blueray player; PC hooked up to the TV. Or if one is that far out for cell signal...turn off the TV and enjoy nature's landscape/scenery show. Sometimes it pays off to unplug...unless there is a Mariners or Mets game on :-).

OH, do not waste your money on a cell phone booster - I have tried several and luckily have been able to get all my money back on the various units.

IF you go with a hotspot (there was a thread about a Verizon unit) go with one that has a MIMO (multi-in/ multi out) antenna as that provides the best reception. Reason I do not use Verzion for a hotspot is that T-Mobile has way more towers than Verizon as they picked up all of Sprint's towers when they bought them - so far I have always been able to get a T-mobile signal even when way out there. Can use that wifi broadcast and still make phone calls via internet only calling option on my iphone
Luminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2022, 05:09 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by reddieddie View Post
I am using a verizon jetpack 8801, 4GLTE with two antenna ports and a stingray like antenna that plugs into it and sticks to a window. It requires a verizon phone plan. The jetpack is a router, modem and hot spot. i get a wifi and internet signal wherever I have camped even in more remote areas especially if I am near a Verian tower.
Ours is the prepaid Orbic model and works great, 100GB/$50 a month. If we ever use up 100GB, which we haven't, we can always fall back to our Verizon cell phone data plan to finish out the month.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cable