RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-25-2020, 09:50 AM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Two TV's One Remote

I just purchased a 2016 Newmar Ventana LE 4037. It has a TV in the cockpit and another behind the couch on a lift. Both are Vizio's. One remote can operate both.
There are times we want to watch one or the other but whenever we use the remote, both TV's will turn on/off change volume or channel. Pretty annoying. We've tried holding the remote closely to one TV or the other but both still come on etc.
Anyone have any tip's on how to keep this from happening.

TIA

bowpulpit is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-25-2020, 10:02 AM   #2

There was another thread on this about a month ago--you might try searching for it.

I don't remember the suggestions there. My only suggestion would be electrical tape over the IR sensor on the TV you don't want to use at the time. Electrical tape adhesive isn't that strong, and the tape is very opaque.

Also, unless you have both on at the same time it really shouldn't be an issue if you can manage to turn one on without the other turning on too.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:09 AM   #3

Entegra Owners Club
I have the same situation in my coach with Samsung TVs. It is a bit of a pain, but I find that if I place my hand against the side of the remote, that the signal is blocked in that direction and I can turn on just one TV at a time.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 10:25 AM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Carolina Campers
Send a message via Skype™ to Tugboat
Check in the menu of the TV for the remote. Some TVs have a option for either a ir or rf remote if so buy a cheep after market remote for rf . That is what I did in my Columbus
Tugboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2020, 11:34 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Try putting transparent tape over the window of the TV IR receivers. If that doesn't work then the suggestion about black electrical tape might work; just put it over about 75% of the eye on the TV you don't want to see change (probably the front, overhead TV?).
Old 10-25-2020, 11:59 AM   #6
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just unplug the front TV, slide the bedroom door closed.
Old 10-25-2020, 12:24 PM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
I've never had that problem, but if you have an IR control then you should be able to angle the control away from the TV you don't want to control, just barely keeping the other one in the IR pattern for control.
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 09:57 AM   #8

Many years as a cable TV repair technician. So have some experience with this.
Sometimes you can limit the infrared beam emitted by the remote by blocking part of it with electrical tape. Maybe one strip of electrical tape on either side of the eye and move them closer together to narrow the beam. That should make the remote more directional so it will usually only affect the television that it is pointed directly at. You can get pretty fancy with electrical shape, using a razor to cut small strips that will not interfere with the rest of the remote. Just stick a strip of electrical tape on a Rubbermaid tote or some other smooth plastic surface and then use a razor blade to cut whatever size strip you need and just peel off the part you're going to use.
There are other tricks, but this one should work best in a close-in situation like an RV. I have used it in media viewing rooms with multiple televisions. Not perfect but a big help.
Tim
Tim-n-Gina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2020, 11:35 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
IR and RF were mentioned but not explained. IR is infrared control where infrared light is emitted from the controller and sensed by the TV.

RF is Radio Frequency control where a radio signal is generated by the remote and received by a radio receiver in the TV.

IR is line of sight. The TV must be able to "SEE" the remote in order to detect the signal. RF needs to be in signal range even if walls are in between the remote and TV.

From your description your remotes are set on RF allowing them to control a TV that is not within sight.

To fix this, reprogram the remotes for IR. See your manual.
Old 10-26-2020, 11:44 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeloduster View Post
From your description your remotes are set on RF allowing them to control a TV that is not within sight.
I wouldn't assume that. IR bounces off of walls and objects. It's light. Next time you're in front of your TV try pointing your remote at the ceiling. It will probably still control the TV.
Goodspike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
remote