Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-01-2019, 08:11 PM   #1

Understanding future 5g and artificial intelligence for Rvers

Just saw this interesting pod-cast youtube video aired only last week about what the near future technology will be like with 5g and AI. It is rather long so get a cup(s) of coffee but certainly worth the watch if you are into tech Imagine what the possibilities will mean for those of us that are part of the RV lifestyle? What do you think?

Daniel
Rvlegaleagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-01-2019, 08:35 PM   #2

be carefull what you wish for
Old 12-01-2019, 11:12 PM   #3

I ain't wishing that... just becoming informed and aware best I can because the truth about things seems to just creep up on you

Personally, I have a freedom (flip) phone and love it but with all the rage/hype of the new 5g, automotive drivable cars and Artificial intelligence by machines I just wonder what the impact will be for future RVs?

Daniel
Old 12-02-2019, 09:35 AM   #4
EJW

I work in data science (far from an expert though ) and this is something that conflicts me. I love RVing for the simplicity, freedom, and lack of technology.

All of this stuff (AI, machine learning) rests on us giving our data (location, movement, words, faces, posts, speed, usage of whatever, etc.) knowingly or unknowingly, actively or passively. I call this the data funnel. Once through the data funnel, it's fed into an predictive algorithm and a decision pops out. The more data, the more accurate the prediction (we hope!).

Data is the new currency/oil. There's all kinds of creative and borderline unethical ways to get it. Social media addicts us through dopamine rushes and our need to feel part of something, Google provides free tools (GMAIL, Word, etc), supermarkets give us discounts, etc. It's a big business. Just look at these companies' annual revenue and how much they make on our data. There's even a term for this: "surveillance capitalism".

There's a lot of good that comes with "big data" - disease and health improvements, clean water improvements, crime prevention, safety, etc. There's also downsides - nothing is for free. We give away our data to strangers. Some care, some don't. The algorithms (decision-making engines) can be biased and not tell the whole picture. We also run the risk of outsourcing our thinking to algorithms when we fully don't understand their decision-making.

There is some inherent irony in this world of big data. Many of us protect our physical possessions - cars, houses, RV's - using all sorts of methods. Yet, we give our data away to complete strangers with wild abandon. Smart speakers (Alexa, Google Home, etc.) are a good example. We'll have outside lights on, cameras, and maybe an alarm system on our RV/house. Yet, the conversations inside (between husband and wife, parents and kids) no matter how intimate or sensitive are being shipped to who-knows-where to be analyzed by who-knows-whom.

This is why I am so conflicted especially in the RV context.

Back in the RV world, it could do some good I think - predict maintenance, predict quality control, buying/selling, predict the best times to visit national/state parks, predict availability at campgrounds, safest times to travel, find probable best weather days, etc. From reading this forum, it seems like these are common, real-world issues/questions.

The line in the sand for me is collecting too much information or outsourcing my thinking too much. The allure of RV'ing for me/us has been unplugging, the adventure, nature, and family time. I don't think I need data or an algorithm to tell me/us how to do that.

Hope this helps somewhat.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
EJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:46 AM   #5

give me the self driving rv! no more reservations at rv park, go to sleep, wake up at next destination! Will need more dump stations though....

that was interesting....thanks for posting
#10050 GVWR, #18500 GCWR Smoke that!
gatorb8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:45 AM   #6

Fear not, self driving is just a matter of time. RVs too. The RV manufactures will allow the car OEMs spend the money with the suppliers to get it working well and to champion the legal issues that are inevitable (who's responsible for the self driving accident et al).

Once that huge cost is in the mirror, the RV companies will work with same suppliers on implementation. Active cruise control is step1 and I am sure most RVs offer that, at least on higher line models.

ComfortDrive functionality will be replaced with the self steering column. So, the hardware cost for that is already in place in higher line Newmars. The ABS brakes is another less incremental cost area. Cruise control / digital engine speed is another low incremental cost area for implementation of self driving.

The AI / Lidar / other sensor systems are the true incremental cost and tremendous technical cost of self driving. Well on its way.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:57 PM   #7

Send a message via AIM to Divingbiker Send a message via Yahoo to Divingbiker
Very well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by EJW View Post
I work in data science (far from an expert though ) and this is something that conflicts me. I love RVing for the simplicity, freedom, and lack of technology.

All of this stuff (AI, machine learning) rests on us giving our data (location, movement, words, faces, posts, speed, usage of whatever, etc.) knowingly or unknowingly, actively or passively. I call this the data funnel. Once through the data funnel, it's fed into an predictive algorithm and a decision pops out. The more data, the more accurate the prediction (we hope!).

Data is the new currency/oil. There's all kinds of creative and borderline unethical ways to get it. Social media addicts us through dopamine rushes and our need to feel part of something, Google provides free tools (GMAIL, Word, etc), supermarkets give us discounts, etc. It's a big business. Just look at these companies' annual revenue and how much they make on our data. There's even a term for this: "surveillance capitalism".

There's a lot of good that comes with "big data" - disease and health improvements, clean water improvements, crime prevention, safety, etc. There's also downsides - nothing is for free. We give away our data to strangers. Some care, some don't. The algorithms (decision-making engines) can be biased and not tell the whole picture. We also run the risk of outsourcing our thinking to algorithms when we fully don't understand their decision-making.

There is some inherent irony in this world of big data. Many of us protect our physical possessions - cars, houses, RV's - using all sorts of methods. Yet, we give our data away to complete strangers with wild abandon. Smart speakers (Alexa, Google Home, etc.) are a good example. We'll have outside lights on, cameras, and maybe an alarm system on our RV/house. Yet, the conversations inside (between husband and wife, parents and kids) no matter how intimate or sensitive are being shipped to who-knows-where to be analyzed by who-knows-whom.

This is why I am so conflicted especially in the RV context.

Back in the RV world, it could do some good I think - predict maintenance, predict quality control, buying/selling, predict the best times to visit national/state parks, predict availability at campgrounds, safest times to travel, find probable best weather days, etc. From reading this forum, it seems like these are common, real-world issues/questions.

The line in the sand for me is collecting too much information or outsourcing my thinking too much. The allure of RV'ing for me/us has been unplugging, the adventure, nature, and family time. I don't think I need data or an algorithm to tell me/us how to do that.

Hope this helps somewhat.
I watched the entire video and was going to write a long response, but EJW summed up my thoughts. Well said!

It will be interesting to see how the next 10 years unfolds and what we do with the huge mass of data and the power that comes with it. As to how it effects RV'ers, we can only guess at the different ramifications........
Divingbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 02:26 PM   #8

My wife asked me why I talk so quiet in the house I told her I didn't want Mark Zuckerberg to hear me. My wife laughed, Siri laughed, Alexa laughed, etc.
sanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 03:13 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Posts 4, 7, and 8 are right on and thanks!
Old 12-02-2019, 07:40 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanda View Post
My wife asked me why I talk so quiet in the house I told her I didn't want Mark Zuckerberg to hear me. My wife laughed, Siri laughed, Alexa laughed, etc.
What I find down right friggin creepy, is I decided I was going to buy some new appliances for my kitchen. My kids were going to buy me a new vacuum cleaner for Christmas. Other than texting me to ask how much I thought they should spend on the vacuum, no mention of the vacuum has been talked about. The appliances I had talked about, but had only looked up in the local fliers, nothing on line. In the last week on my iPhone, I have been getting ads for appliances, and vacuum cleaners. I find this not only creepy, but down right offending that they are intercepting my calls, and listening to conversations. I don't have any of the alexas or google crap in my home that you can talk to. I find them creepy too. They are obviously doing it through the iPhone.
Old 12-02-2019, 08:33 PM   #11

Is it coming ? Yes !

When will it truly be here ? Probably no where near as soon as the experts predict. (The full 5G roll out will take time, especially since the wireless carriers are having a hard time predicting additional revenues based on the technology.)

Electric vehicles fall into the same category. Some are predicting the death of the internal combustion engine (CE) by 2030. Personally, I think ICE will be around a lot longer than that !
Old 12-02-2019, 08:53 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldwizard View Post
Is it coming ? Yes !

When will it truly be here ? Probably no where near as soon as the experts predict. (The full 5G roll out will take time, especially since the wireless carriers are having a hard time predicting additional revenues based on the technology.)

Electric vehicles fall into the same category. Some are predicting the death of the internal combustion engine (CE) by 2030. Personally, I think ICE will be around a lot longer than that !
Its going to cost billions to roll out the new 5g network. How much more do they think people can afford to just have a cell phone. Its ridiculous now. Replacing fossil fuels in the next 10 years is not even close to realistic. It would take that long to build a bunch of nuclear plants alone, if they started tomorrow. Getting nuclear plants passed isn't as easy as it used to be. Having Chernobyl and Fukishimas all over isn't going to help the planet.
Old 12-02-2019, 09:48 PM   #13

“ I love RVing for the simplicity, freedom, and lack of technology”...The allure of RV'ing for me/us has been unplugging, the adventure, nature, and family time. I don't think I need data or an algorithm to tell me/us how to do that... Amen.

“I watched the entire video”... good for you!

“ When will it truly be here ? Probably no where near as soon as the experts predict”...it is and has been here already and getting faster and faster

We can never relinquish our humanity in favor of machines! One of the points mentioned in the video towards the end is we are creating a world of tech that man will not be able to get out off...umm ponder that one

Daniel
Old 12-03-2019, 07:18 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by winniman View Post
Its going to cost billions to roll out the new 5g network. How much more do they think people can afford to just have a cell phone. Its ridiculous now. Replacing fossil fuels in the next 10 years is not even close to realistic. It would take that long to build a bunch of nuclear plants alone, if they started tomorrow. Getting nuclear plants passed isn't as easy as it used to be. Having Chernobyl and Fukishimas all over isn't going to help the planet.
My home town is now over 25% wind and solar. Largest system in the midwest (my understanding). I think it took about 5 years. Approved relatively small increase in per KwH price. Was put on unused, unbuildable ground that is relatively out of sight. As a homeowner and neighbor, no impact other than peace of mind that it's not nuclear or coal.
I highly doubt the future is nuclear so I wouldn't worry too much about that.

And I don't doubt that it is very doable at a relatively small price to be much greener. Just have to continue bending the historic financial hooks into the decision implementers (we are the decision makers in a perfect world).