Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-13-2017, 07:45 AM   #1

Unlimited Data hotspot?

Does anyone know of an unlimited plan for a hotspot. I don't need unlimited to my phone. I would like to be able to connect my laptop or apple tv to a hot spot and have unlimited data usage.

TIA
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-13-2017, 08:09 AM   #2

There is a way to assume liability for old Verizon unlimited plans. Those are the only truly unlimited plans that allow unlimited use to a hot spot.
May want to check rvmobileinternet.com for more details on the process.
If you are a little tech saavy you can try and go the route of an ATT Mobley.
All the other devices I am aware of have caps on hotspot tethered access.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #3

I've got one of the ZTE Mobley devices as listed above.
$99 purchased from Best Buy then activated on AT&T (it's only available there) for $20 (plus tax) per month. I've got 2 power adapters for it from eBay. One that will power it on 120v house electric and one that will power it with USB (so I can use a 12v plug).
I then got a Pepwave Surf on the Go router (also 120/12v powerable) from Amazon for $120 because the on-board 5 connection limit on the Mobley is not enough for our needs. I connect to the Mobley wirelessly from the router. Not a difficult setup but you do have to know a bit about getting into the router and Mobley settings. This particular router will also let you connect to free wifi hot-spots and campground wifi.

I'll be trying this out in the upcoming months.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:23 AM   #4

Jake you didn't mention any particular carrier. If you already have cellphone with a carrier they will have a hotspot device and some type of unlimited plan. Things are changing rapidly. I have Verizon on my wife's phone so have a Verizon JetPack 7730. With their latest plans adding the MiFi and the reduction in the plan costs put me about even with what we were paying for just the phone a couple of months ago. I also picked up a Mobley so that I have AT&T coverage. For $20 per month it is a good alternative.
ghaynes754 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomB View Post
I've got one of the ZTE Mobley devices as listed above.
$99 purchased from Best Buy then activated on AT&T (it's only available there) for $20 (plus tax) per month. I've got 2 power adapters for it from eBay. One that will power it on 120v house electric and one that will power it with USB (so I can use a 12v plug).
I then got a Pepwave Surf on the Go router (also 120/12v powerable) from Amazon for $120 because the on-board 5 connection limit on the Mobley is not enough for our needs. I connect to the Mobley wirelessly from the router. Not a difficult setup but you do have to know a bit about getting into the router and Mobley settings. This particular router will also let you connect to free wifi hot-spots and campground wifi.

I'll be trying this out in the upcoming months.
I have the same setup, but I'm using a router I had laying around and have it connected through USB. I went to the NASCAR races from Thursday through Sunday, and the Mobley worked great. I streamed Netflix every night with no issues at all. I did get an alert on Sunday that I was at 16.6 GB use on my plan and that I might be throttled during times of network congestion, but it continued to work.
Old 04-13-2017, 10:26 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
I also have the Mobley Unlimited for $20/mo. If you are going to use it in a vehicle, it can just be plugged in to the OBD II diagnostic connector. For a cigarette lighter socket or vehicle power port as mentioned there are 12 volt, 120 volt and USB power cords available for the Mobley on Amazon and eBay. A cigarette lighter plug with pigtail and a $3.50 OBD II female connector from Amazon will allow you to make your own power cord for $5 to $7.

If you sign a 2 year contract with AT&T the Mobley is free.

With Verizon Unlimited plans, the Jet Pack is limited to 10GB at 4G as is the Hot Spot feature of a smart phone.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 10:46 AM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
With Verizon Unlimited plans, the Jet Pack is limited to 10GB at 4G as is the Hot Spot feature of a smart phone.
That is not necessarily true. I have a Verizon MiFi device and I am currently at over 26 GB for the month, and I'm still at 4G speed.
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 12:05 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobGed View Post
That is not necessarily true. I have a Verizon MiFi device and I am currently at over 26 GB for the month, and I'm still at 4G speed.
Consider yourself lucky. It is the reason I didn't go with it. Perhaps they won't implement it. I've heard of others that haven't seen it happen also.
Old 04-14-2017, 07:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake21 View Post
Does anyone know of an unlimited plan for a hotspot. I don't need unlimited to my phone. I would like to be able to connect my laptop or apple tv to a hot spot and have unlimited data usage.

TIA
Verizon unlimited grandfathered plans are available on eBay. We are full time and use it to stream Apple TV etc.

I bought one and it has been worth every penny.

We no longer worry about caps, throttling etc.
RMD3819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:05 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes754 View Post
Jake you didn't mention any particular carrier. If you already have cellphone with a carrier they will have a hotspot device and some type of unlimited plan. Things are changing rapidly. I have Verizon on my wife's phone so have a Verizon JetPack 7730. With their latest plans adding the MiFi and the reduction in the plan costs put me about even with what we were paying for just the phone a couple of months ago. I also picked up a Mobley so that I have AT&T coverage. For $20 per month it is a good alternative.

I might give the Mobley a try. I currently have sprint, but limited to 6g per month as a hot spot.

I did notice this on the att website, "Tethering and Mobile Hotspot use prohibited (except Connected Car)". What the heck does that mean?
Jake21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 08:36 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
The fact is, most smart phones have a built in hot-spot capability. I am an AT&T customer and we live out in the boonies. AT&T is shy about giving their newest plans that are billed as "UNLIMITED" hot spot capability but they allow 10 gigs of data through a hot-spot before throttling you down. I think the Verizon plan works the same way. When you live in an area similar to where I do, carrier options are very limited due to lack of coverage so AT&T and Verizon are about it.

I have an internet based business so I get my data via a hot-spot. The big advantage of a stand alone hot spot is that you can plug an antenna into one of these (some have that feature) and get much better reception if you can figure out what frequency your 4G LTE is operating at and get the right antenna. These are little buggers and the ones I bought have magnetic bases, I guess for a car application but I have a metal roof on my office building so it worked OK. I get two bars on my phone usually and 4 bars with the antenna. The problem with the hot spot is they charge you extra AND those things tend to burn up in time if you leave them connected for long periods to the charger. I gave up on the stand alone hot spots and just use my phone. Using it as a hot spot eats your battery time though.

I have a 32 gig plan I pay $130 a month for as my wife and I like Netflix from time to time; just have to avoid binge watching and the plan has roll over which allows a ltitle binge watching every few months.

A few months back AT&T called my wife (plan is in her name) and offered her "UNLIMITED" data and the phone lines at a great price. She switched us and the same day they turned off our ability to use the phones as hot spots. I guess if you wanted to stream video on your phone all day it would be OK. The missus and I didn't know they didn't allow hot spots on the plan and switched right back and of course, lost all our roll over minutes for our blunder. While they don't tell you this stuff on the phone, they claimed you should go to thier web site and read fine print somewhere.
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 10:17 AM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
MiFi Jet Pack Internet Device Hot Spot

Here is info from Verizonwireless about data and an Internet Device, Jet Pack or Tablet.

Internet Device under Unlimited Data Plan 10GB at 4G then 3G speed
Old 04-14-2017, 10:57 AM   #13

I have an unlimited Verizon hotspot on my phone. No issues connecting any of our other devices too it. It was just the luck of the draw for me. About 4 years ago when I purchased a new phone, I also activated a hotspot on said phone. At that time, one had to call Verizon to set it up. The customer service rep was amazed that the hotspot offered unlimited data. I recently upgraded phones and was allowed to keep the hotspot as long as I did not change phone numbers or plans. It is my understanding that Verizon could cancel the unlimited plan if we used 100g a month. I would assume most people would be like me and would hold on to their unlimited hotspot. Maybe you can find one for sale on EBay.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #14

Workhorse Chassis Owner
When DW and I went full time in June of last year I started "renting" a Verizon hotspot with unlimited data for $120.00 a month. Worked great - no problems at all. Fast foreword to March of this year and the owner offered me the opportunity to take over the assumption of liability (to purchase). I went ahead and bought it from him and transferred it to my existing Verizon account. The process was a little difficult because of Verizon - but in the end I now own the mifi and am paying $45.00 a month for unlimited data with no throttling. This guy still has some mifi's that he is looking to sell - if anyone is interested PM me.

Jim