Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2022, 06:59 PM   #1

US Cell Carrier

Hi folks. We are snowbirds going from Calgary to Tucson this year, second to the US, previous 11 to Mexico.

We have always had a US/Canada plan with our Canadian carrier but this year they advised that because US carriers are on 5G, they no longer offer US service and we will have to find a US provider.

What are you Canucks doing for service this year.

TIA
Keith
Southboun is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2022, 07:10 PM   #2
RV LIFE Support Team

Visible is the best deal, $40/month but if you join a group(Visible provides the groups) you are down to $25 a month. It is a Verizon company and has unlimited everything, including a hot spot. I don't know if they have Canada.

If you need Canada on the phone I would recommend Cricket(ATT), they cover MX and Canada. I think we pay $55/month.

Most of the phones in the US aren't 5G, it is still relatively new. I would double check with your Canadian provider.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:28 AM   #3

Mobile Internet Resource Center posted a video a few days ago on the current best data plans for Mobile Internet, they are the experts-
gladu2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:27 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue46 View Post
Visible is the best deal, $40/month but if you join a group(Visible provides the groups) you are down to $25 a month.
That's how it used to be. There are two plans now, $30 and $45. The whole party plan "group" nonsense is gone.

https://www.visible.com/plans/

It's still a good deal. One problem is that they seem to be in somewhat disarray with people dissatisfied with support when something goes wrong. They seem to be excessively strict about what phone is compatible and reject a lot that are perfectly compatible on Verizon.
tetranz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 01:54 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Look at Mint Mobile, it uses the T-mobile network. BYOP for $15/month for a 3 month pre-paid plan. You get unlimited talk/text and 5GB data. Calls/texts to Canada and Mexico included. The 1 year plan is $180 ($15/month) You can buy the SIM at Target, Amazon and a few other retailers or have it mailed free to a US address. Set up done via their app.
Old 10-04-2022, 04:14 PM   #6
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southboun
We have always had a US/Canada plan with our Canadian carrier but this year they advised that because US carriers are on 5G, they no longer offer US service and we will have to find a US provider.
Not exactly. 4G LTE is still offered everywhere and will be for many years. 5G is very much in the minority, especially true millimeter wave 5G. 3G is essentially shut down as of January 1, 2023 or thereabouts.

I'd read that 3G will still be available in Canada until 2025. Is there any chance that your carrier only offers 3G? That would be slow...

Ray
Old 10-04-2022, 05:29 PM   #7

Curious who your Canadian carrier is that has said that. 4G is supposed to be around for several years we've been advised and 5G is very sparsely available now is what we were told?

Do share who your Canadian carrier is we are with Bell Mobility.
SoonToBeFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2022, 05:48 PM   #8

My Canadian carrier ( Simply Connect ) was a 3G only in the USA and when all the US carriers went 4G minimum we lost any coverage in USA . So I'll be shopping for a card or phone as soon as I cross the line .
I have 3 unlocked smart phones ( 2 brands ) and can't find a US carrier to supply a card to activate any of them .
Old 10-04-2022, 11:21 PM   #9

Thanks for all the input, folks. My carrier is/was Simply Connect.

I am not fond of the idea of having to get a new carrier when I cross the line, just my feeling. Have looked at Mint which is a great price out of all of them, but also considering going back to Telus and having the US plan when south, and Canada plan when coming home.

As you all know, they are ridiculously expensive here and two phones with US plan will cost about $200/month.
Because Simply connect has left us stranded and we have a contract, they have graciously offered to put the plan on vacation at $10/phone/month, or cancel the contract with no penalty and we keep the phones.

If I can get Mint Sim cards on Amazon.ca, I'll look into that.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers.
Southboun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 01:06 PM   #10

As an update to the above. I have seen that Mint cards are available on Amazon.ca for a ridiculously marked up price of $105.00/3months.

Pretty much decided to bite the bullet and get the mint Sims when we get to Tucson, we never use the phone on the way down so no rush. I have read good and bad reviews on Amazon about Mint, but in my life experiences, most people who complain about things, do it for a living. Much cheaper keeping Simply Connect for Canada and using Mint in the States. Telus is just way too much money for me as a pensioner.

Again, thanks for all your input. Hope this sheds some light to others on this problem heading south this year.

Cheers.
Old 10-05-2022, 06:30 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I just spent 3 weeks in Alberta and British Columbia, and Visible is a bust - no service anywhere in Canada. My experience with Visible in traveling across the U.S. this summer is quite poor. I have AT&T in a Pepwave, T-Mobile in a 5G hotspot and Verizon in a 4G Jetpac. I was able to successfully use the Visible in maybe 2 locations over 4 months. I just cancelled the service today.
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:35 PM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
If you are going to be parked in Tucson all winter, check out both Verizon and T-Mobile home internet plans. They are offering unlimited 5G data plans for $50 per month with an in-home router. Hard to beat, if you have the service at your location.
pvcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 06:56 PM   #13
RV LIFE Support Team

Is Visible suppose to work in CA? Cricket advertises CA and MX service but I have never seen Visible claim that.

Cricket was fine in CA on our way to AK and the trip to the Gaspe.

2015 Winnebago Vista 36Y + Honda CRV
RV LIFE Support Team
Sue46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2022, 08:20 PM   #14

Visible is on Verizon service, will work anywhere Verizon works. Go to Verizon website for coverage map.
We have been on Visible for a few years and have had great service. Traveling mostly in Midwest and south and a few western states.
We are on the party plan and have two spots open, if anyone is interested in joining the party.
Party plan is being suspended but can sign up until 10/18/22, so limited time left. Once joined the price is locked in as long as you maintain the service.
FYI when you join a party we are in no way connected with accounts or billing, you would need to open your account and request to join the (party name) for the discount.
If two people join my party the cost will be $25.00/mo. for unlimited data and voice with WIFI hotspot, and no throttling of service.
Visible is also offering a friend discount of $20.00 off one month, so I could send you a friend code and the first mo. would be only $5.00.
After joining you could also get as many friends to join as you can and get $20.00 off for both for ea. friend you get.

Anyone interested, let me know, I can send a friend code and party name to join.
RHD51 is offline   Reply With Quote