Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2022, 08:50 AM   #1

US Cell phone plans for Canadians

Good day all;

I have been a passive member of RV2 for a couple of years but now that I will be travelling to the U.S. for 2 extended stays from Ottawa, Canada this year, I need to find a US carrier phone plan with lots of data as Canadian Cell plans are the worst to travel south.
I currently have a OnePlus phone on Android 11 with dual SIM card slots where I use one for my Rogers Canadian needs. I am therefore looking to purchase a U.S. SIM card as soon as I cross the Border during my next trip in April/May 2022 as we plan to tour Florida and use the Phone data as GPS via the RVLife GPS functionality and be able to book campings without roaming.
As we will travel to Texas in October for the winter, a provider that will also work in the Southern Gulf States would be a requirement.
Any suggestions on providers that would fit this bill is what I am looking for.

Thanks in advance.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2022, 08:51 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Have fun and keep her between the ditches!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 10:31 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pick up either a Verizon or AT&T pay as you go plan.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 11:29 AM   #4

We just use our Telus phone and get the american package. Works well.
radar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 02:54 PM   #5

Generally Verizon is thought to be king for coverage, but in the Sarasota/Tampa area Tamiami Trail we found AT&T was only thing that worked for us most of the time. Just saying. Bell Mobility when we did add on's would always use T-Mobile and it was non-existent in so many areas (we had our own home Sarasota for 10+ years until 2017). That's been our experience. If you have a dual sim iPhone, you can get Visible (that operates on the Verizon towers), using a QR code set up prior to leaving. Of course like many carriers you'll hear good and bad about them all depending on where you are travelling at the time.

Check out the maps on coverages for areas you are going into and plan accordingly. Also a couple called Technomadia is the most recognised reliable source for mobility coverage info.

Happy Travels. SD.
SomeDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2022, 03:17 PM   #6

Rogers has a roam like home plan that works well. You get the same features you would have at home. But if you are a heavy data user you can buy more. No need for a new phone number and any Canadian calls go right to your phone.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2022, 06:43 AM   #7

Rogers for the U.S??

Quote:
Originally Posted by moisheh View Post
Rogers has a roam like home plan that works well. You get the same features you would have at home. But if you are a heavy data user you can buy more. No need for a new phone number and any Canadian calls go right to your phone.
I have used my Rogers Roam like home for short trips to the U.S. but at $7.00/day to a maximum of 10 days per month, this gets expensive very quickly, therefore, this is not a viable option for me. Thanks.
Old 01-17-2022, 06:52 AM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
I’ll be traveling in the USA for the next 3 months, leaving cold Quebec in a couple of days. Went thru this exercise and the best I found was a Can/US package from Telus. Supposed to give unlimited from which 60 Gb is high speed.
Since Telus is piggybacking on National US carriers, I’m a bit worry-some about being throttle back in some regions of high traffic. Time will tell
Pol6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:00 PM   #9

We have been going through AT&T for quite a few years - this year the plan offered unlimited data & 100gig hotspot $85 per month & we just switch out our canadian sim card & forward our phones to the new number -- works great!!
warrn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2022, 01:28 PM   #10

Hello Alain,
We live in Ontario and Travel for 3 months each Winter in the US.
My regular provider is Bell, and after too many years of excessively high charges I went with a US cell company "Mint Mobile" @ $25/month, buy 3 months and get an additional 3 months n/c.
We are now into our 3 rd week in the US and my own iPhone 12 is working perfectly with the Mint Sim.
You can see everything on their web site.
They will not mail a Sim card to Canada so you need to have a friend in the US you will redirect it or have the Sim sent to General Delivery at a US Post Office.
So far, we are totally pleased with Mint Mobile.
Jim.B1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 06:59 AM   #11

Roam like home has changed. Used to be no charge. But if you call Rogers there are some other plans There is an $80.00 a month plan that can get US access for an additional $20.00 a month.
2009 Silverado Toad
moisheh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2022, 08:12 AM   #12

just did this game... Found out Att on prepaid plan will only support single simm phone. So our existing dual simm samsung A50 and A51 don't work!
So bought a samsung A12 single simm with prepaid for $114.xx which includes first month autopay unlimited data, and unlimited txt and calling US, and Canada and mexico using the autopay

RoadrunnerII

Tags
phone