Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
USB chargers for phones etc

I have been thinking about how I charge all of the devices that I run. It seems that it is silly to have to convert 12 v to 110 and then back to 5v to use the USB chargers for the phone I pad etc. I know that one can get a USB port with multiple USB slots that plugs into 110 but does any one know of one that can be plugged into 12v. I would like to go direct an stop the conversion loss.
for36rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2013, 06:51 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check

Fry's Home Electronics | Computer Parts & Accessories, Software, Games, TVs, Cameras - Frys.com

Also eBay and amazon.

Two charging ports are fairly common for a cigarette lighter adapter. There may be some with more but I don't recall ever having seen one.

On edit: Amazon.com: Griffin Powerjolt Dual Universal USB Micro Colors May Vary: MP3 Players & Accessories
Muddypaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
All of my assortment of Ipads and cell phones have AC or DC charge cords.
wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:40 PM   #4

Gulf Streamers Club
Be aware that iPads require more charging power than many USB cigarette lighter type plugs can provide. An iPad charger is 10 watts,(2.1 amps) an iPhone charger is 5 watts, (1 amp). Even with the 10 w charger, an iPat 3 only charges very slowly, especially if being used. Many iPads won't charge on the power plug type USB chargers, they just aren't powerful enough. A PC USB port provides 0.5 w, (2.5 watts)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:46 PM   #5

Country Coach Owners Club
You can get a cigarette lighter to USB charger from WallyMart for about 8 bux. It charges our iPad, phones, GPS just fine. It has 2 USB outputs so you can do 2 at once.

With the lower output of the cig lighter charger is that it takes a little longer to charge the iPad, that is all.
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:03 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by dons2346 View Post
You can get a cigarette lighter to USB charger from WallyMart for about 8 bux. It charges our iPad, phones, GPS just fine. It has 2 USB outputs so you can do 2 at once.

With the lower output of the cig lighter charger is that it takes a little longer to charge the iPad, that is all.
What is the charging current for the IPad?

2002 Itasca Suncruiser - WH Chassis - 35U - 2006 Jeep Liberty
hamguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
Community Administrator

See post #4 above.

Cliff,Tallulah and Buddy ( 1999-2012 )
CLIFFTALL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:57 PM   #8

Country Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by hamguy View Post
What is the charging current for the IPad?
Good info here. https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-3511
dons2346 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #9

Freightliner Owners Club
Things I've pondered and have no answers for:

1) How tolerant of 6v charge voltage would most USB devices be
2) Efficiency of the average cigarette lighter adapter at dropping 12v to USB (5.5v?)
3) Long term effect if I pulled 6 v from one of the batteries in the "house" bank (batteries would no longer be loaded equally, but would the USB charge load be enough to matter)

There are a few gadgets in the house that are powered with 5.5 to 6v transformers that I would like to use in the RV.
mbrandt1402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:10 PM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Maximum is to be 5.25 volts, minimum 4.75 v. An iPad 10 w charger is at 5.1 v, iPhone charger (5 w) is at 5 v.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:11 PM   #11
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I have several cigarette lighter plugs that have USB outputs. I charge cell phones, and iPads with them (both the original iPad and 4th generation.) My favorite one is a two USB output plug. Besides the diameter of the cigarette lighter it's length just fits flush with the female cigarette lighter receptacle. I can charge the cell phone and iPad at the same time. I have never noticed any "slowness" of charge. Most of the time it is used in the TOAD as that seems to be when I discover that one or both of them are low on battery juice.

Any electronics store sells cigarette lighter USB plugs. I even received on with a product that not only had a permanently attached cord but included a USB port. The are out there. I have used several different kinds and they all work the same. I'm assuming that they all work off of the same charging voltage. (bad is me, maybe.)

Happy trails.
It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 06:45 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
My (original) Droid and Thom's (new) Razor Maxx use different watt/volt type chargers even thou they have the same plug. If Thom tried to charge his phone with my charger it would take about 2 or 3 times as long and may be hurt the phone. But both can be plugged into the laptop thru the USB and be charged that way while we are transferring music, books and pics back and forth.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:27 AM   #13

Going over to ATVing........ (permanent mount)
Prices and quality vary with manufacturer.......
Search for " weatherproof USB power outlet"
TAPP is tolerant of +/-4 in the input for +/-.25 on the output.