Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2010, 12:46 PM   #1

Newmar Owners Club
Using a Deliberant CPE-2

I know there are at least a couple other people on this forum using a CPE-2 or equivalent to connect to park WiFi systems. I'd like to see what steps they go through to configure them, compared to my process.

My CPE-2 is connected to the WAN (ethernet) port on my Cradlepoint MBR-1000. I can turn the CPE on/off by controlling power to the POE injector. I have the CPE in bridge mode, currently using it's default address of 192.168.2.66.

When I get to a new park and want to set it up:
  1. Raise the Batwing, Power on the CPE.
  2. Set the WAN port on the MBR to Static IP, 192.168.2.1, with appropriate netmask. Save settings, reboot MBR.
  3. Wait for MBR to come back online. Turn Wifi on and off a couple times. Eventually get back into admin menu.
  4. Access 192.168.2.66 with my browser. Curse at Deliberant for using Flash for the UI, switch from iPad to iMac, try again.
  5. Go to Tools menu, scan for WiFi networks, find AP with best signal.
  6. Go to Settings, select AP. Save and then reboot.
  7. Wait for CPE to come alive again. Sometimes reboot MBR if I can't seem to get it back. Get annoyed. Try again. Eventually get config screen back.
  8. Go back to tools, bring up the bar graph, rotate the Batwing to get best signal.
  9. Set WAN port on MBR to DHCP. Save, Reboot, Wait, as before. :(
  10. Connect to MBR network, attempt to access internet. Pray.

How does that compare to everyone else using a CPE?

joe
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2010, 02:43 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Have you tried setting the SSID to ANY so the Deliberant will connect to any AP that does not require a key?

FYI, I ditched all Deliberants from my ISP business several years ago and went with Ubiquiti's www.ubnt.com. IMHO they work much better. I am currently using a Cradlepoint MBR-900 and a Ubiquiti Bullet-2H mounted to a vertical antenna so I don't have to turn it to find signals.

Disclamer: I am no longer in the ISP business as I sold it in 2009 and am just a retired person that still likes hi-tech and RVing!

texnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:53 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by texnet View Post
Have you tried setting the SSID to ANY so the Deliberant will connect to any AP that does not require a key?
No, don't want to do that. I want to be very specific about what AP I connect to, and many campgrounds require a key for the network anyway.

I could switch to an Omni antenna so I don't need to aim it. The networking back and forth is the big annoyance.

joe
Old 07-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
No, don't want to do that. I want to be very specific about what AP I connect to.
I understand you wanting to connect to a specific AP.

Here is latest setup:
  • AT&T Lighting USB device
  • Ubiquiti Bullet M2, a/b/g/n, 600mw
  • 8dBI vertical antenna
  • Bullet and antenna attached to ladder with CAT-5 running inside.
  • Cradlepoint MBR-900 router
  • The Bullet is on the same IP network as the Cradlepoint
  • All ran off the 12vdc house batteries
If I am connecting via the AT&T USB device then I don't have to do anything except connect to the MBR-900 router.

If I want to connect via the Bullet then:
  1. Connect the Bullet ethernet cable to port 1,2,3 or 4 on the router.
  2. Connect my laptop via WiFi to the router.
  3. Point my browser to the IP of the Bullet.
  4. Configure the Bullet for the correct AP and Security.
  5. Unplug the Bullet ethernet cable from port 1,2,3 or 4 on the router.
  6. Plug the Bullet ethernet cable into the Internet port of the router.
  7. Connect my laptops, RVputer, and iPhone to the router via WiFi.
I do not have to repeat things that you do with the DB-2. The Ubiquiti devices are very solid devices and work without any hassles. The M2 has a list price of $79.00 and the 100w a/b/g version has a list price of $39.00. They do not include the injector and power supply. If you are going to run it off of 12vdc then you don't need the power supply. Injectors are about $10-$12.

Old 07-02-2010, 10:29 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ah, I see. You're moving the Bullet from the WAN to the LAN to do the configuring, which saves having to reconfigure the MBR and reboot it. That's a good idea. I think I need to make up a mini patch panel so I can do that without reaching to the back of the router.

I have a power supply and injector I'm using with the CPE, so I wouldn't need that. Just a Bullet and an antenna. Hmm. Might be worth it to try it out. Any suppliers you recommend?

joe
Old 07-03-2010, 10:25 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Any suppliers you recommend?
I use Titan Wireless out of Round Rock, Tx. http://www.titanwirelessonline.com

The Bullet M2 is located here: Ubiquiti Bullet M2 High Power

Titan does not carry the lower priced Bullet but if you want it I am sure you can find it on Ebay or google it.

Old 07-03-2010, 11:56 AM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Thanks for the pointer to Titan Wireless. I bought my CPE from Double Radius, and they have a lot of the same items for similar prices. But I found more antenna options at Titan.

I might pick up one of the bullets and a small antenna just to play with. Not having to deal with the Flash admin interface in the Deliberant would be a big win.

joe
Old 07-03-2010, 02:17 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
I have wholesale accounts with many distributors, left over from my ISP business since 1995, and while Titan does not always carry a complete line of some brands they have always had what I needed in stock. I placed an order about 2 weeks ago with the largest wholesaler of Ubiquiti products in the USA and they had NONE of the items in stock. Placed the order with Titan and the products shipped out the day I ordered them. They are a good company. The vertical antenna I got is the AT-8OM-24 and is a good quality product. It only has one U-bolt on the bracket so I drilled holes to put two on it to hold better at 65-70mph :-)