Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-31-2010, 03:14 PM   #1

Using a droid for internet access

Jim and Chris Guld seem very happy with their findings but as Chris states they have only been using it for three weeks.

Not sure if you must join to see this:
Gabbing with the Geeks: Connecting to the Internet with Droid
WOODYDEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2010, 04:25 PM   #2

If you have Sprint service and a droid phone (Evo 4g) you get unlimited internet access (no 5g restrictions like other plans/aircards) if you connect using your phone.
CatWoman1121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:27 AM   #3

I have been using my MotoDroid along with an app called PDA Net a one time fee of 29$ and it works great. My service is Verizon I have never recieved extra charges from them and I'm on the internet alot including Youtube. Hope this helps.

Vern
Mvlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 05:59 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I am using the new Droid X with PDA.NET and it works great. My carrier is Verizon.
Old 09-01-2010, 08:46 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
Jim and Chris Guld seem very happy with their findings but as Chris states they have only been using it for three weeks.

Not sure if you must join to see this:
Gabbing with the Geeks: Connecting to the Internet with Droid
No 5G limit on 4G service areas only, 5G limit if 3G areas.
Old 09-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #6

To those who use droid with verizon, are you tethering to your computer? I can't tell from the responses if you're doing what the couple is doing.
Old 09-02-2010, 05:07 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Sprint's new 4G internet network utilizing their Air Card is also unlimited for $59.95 per month. It's not just utilizing a phone. This is also the path taken by AT&T. Verizon on the other hand states they will NOT provide unlimited on their 4G network, coming out by the end of the year, but instead will offer a tiered pricing structure. Personally I think they're making a big mistake. I for one have been with them for 4 years now and I'm most likely going to switch to Sprint or Virgin Mobile. Virgin Mobile provides unlimited usage for $40 per month on 3G right now. They partnered with Sprint and are using Sprints backbone to provide the service. Haven't heard whether they will be offering 4G in the near future or not.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 06:03 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WOODYDEL View Post
To those who use droid with verizon, are you tethering to your computer? I can't tell from the responses if you're doing what the couple is doing.
Yes, we are tethering. Android works as a router using PDA.NET software for a 1 time charge of $29.
Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 PM   #9

I'm thinking it is cheaper to do the pay as you go with verizon. If I go for a couple of months use it will cost me about $160. I'll use a USB card. It's not unlimited but I don't really need unlimited. 5 gigs is plenty for email and occasional info lookups. Heck, we don't even watch TV, buy papers or listen to the radio when were out on a long trip.. If I park my MH over a few winter months I'd still be paying for something I would not be using. I've got cable, cable phone and cable internet. Wife won't let me turn them off.

Anyway I understand the software/hardware very well. What I couldn't get was a straight answer from the local verizon store about HOW MUCH.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:29 PM   #10

I have been using the software easy tether with my droid / motorola for a few months now. The software is only 10 bucks and they let you download a test version of it first to let you try it. I hook the phone to my computer. I pay 29 bucks for Verizon unlimited but am not anywhere near even low limits. I did run into a glitch. The easy tether is for either 32 bit or 64 bit computers. About six weeks ago I upgraded one of my laptops to 64 bit. Found out easy tether would not work on it. When I get around to it I am going to remove the 32 bit and pay another 10 bucks to get the 64 bit software. We also have a motosat satellite for internet. Most of the time that works far better than the phone tether.

I have had real problems getting reception in big metro areas with Verizon. I think they added too many smart phones. Areas that used to work really well for internet do not hardly work at all now. Before I used the droid I had an air card for years. I am going to get a phone amp and outside antenna to see how that works.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 09:58 AM   #11

Is there a software program I need to also install
on my Dell laptop if i get the PDAnet ?

thanks,

mike
MikeD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 10:04 AM   #12

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob (WA0MQE) View Post
Sprint's new 4G internet network utilizing their Air Card is also unlimited for $59.95 per month. It's not just utilizing a phone. This is also the path taken by AT&T. Verizon on the other hand states they will NOT provide unlimited on their 4G network, coming out by the end of the year, but instead will offer a tiered pricing structure. Personally I think they're making a big mistake. I for one have been with them for 4 years now and I'm most likely going to switch to Sprint or Virgin Mobile. Virgin Mobile provides unlimited usage for $40 per month on 3G right now. They partnered with Sprint and are using Sprints backbone to provide the service. Haven't heard whether they will be offering 4G in the near future or not.
We have Sprint and the Virgin mobile 3G when we're travelling. The VM is not as fast as 4G but works fine for email, etc. I also like that fact that I can buy 100 MB for $10 for those short jaunts where the destination does not have free wi-fi. It beats having to pay the monthly fee with Sprint and having a 2 year contract.
SpursMVP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #13

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc8cappie View Post
No 5G limit on 4G service areas only, 5G limit if 3G areas.
What is your source?
I am confused as I thought the no limit applied to both 4g and 3g networks if you have the HTC EVO and apid the extra $29.99 for the hotspot. I haven't got up to 5g in one month yet but am sure enjoying the hotspot with our two computers.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:41 PM   #14

I'm a fulltimer and wanted high speed Internet. I too had the BlackBerry storm with Verizon service. I had the tetherberry service. Then I got a Droid X in July. I rooted the phone using one of the several downloadable rooter programs on the net. Contrary to all the hype, it was easy and I am just an average computer user. The program does all the work for you. No need to go into the operating system yourself.

I am actually surfing this site from the beach in Florida using the wireless tether and my netbook.

Rooting your phone is mainly important so you can get the free wireless tether. It doesn't change your operating system, it simply unlocks all your phones features. It's called "Super-User Permissions". Verizon wants to charge you $20 a month for this "permission". They had the programmers design in these permissions so they could charge you extra for services that already come on your phone as part of the operating system. Screw that!

You can unroot your phone with the click of a button if you ever need warranty service. There is no "sign" that you ever rooted it. A friend of mine works for Verizon and says they pay people to go on these message boards to scare people about "bricking" their phone. It won't happen...

That being said, I have the 2.1 operating system, and I've heard they are going to try to design in an anti-rooting measure into the 2.2 Froyo OS. It won't be long before someone finds a way to circumvent that, but for now, try to get the 2.1 OS as all the rooting programs work with that right now. I have no intention of "upgrading" as everything works perfect now. However, supposedly if you are already rooted, you can upgrade to 2.2 without losing your Super Permissions, and hence your free wireless tether. If that's the case, then I will upgrade.

As for the wireless tether, there is one thing you have to know...It EATS battery power! Big Time. Fortunately have a six foot long micro USB cable I used on my Blackberry so I could position the phone wherever I needed (including the roof!) for best reception. I boon-dock most of the time, so I'm often at the edge of cell range. Being in a big aluminum signal reflector doesn't help.

So, I usually plug the phone in into one of my 12v accessory jacks that come with a USB port now. Then I can take my netbook and sit outside under the awning and surf. So far I've been over 75 feet from my phone and still getting good signal. Sometimes I'll just plug it into the netbook itself. I haven't run down the battery to see how long it lasts off of charging, but I would estimate no more than 1.5 to 2 hours. It uses so much power, that while the phone is plugged into the USB power port, it doesn't actually charge. If I start at 70%, 3 hours later I'm still at 70%. I don't use the wall charger much, so that might do better.

So, all of you do yourself a favor and root your phone. Then flip a middle finger to Verizon and enjoy your wireless tether. They are supposed to be ending their unlimited data plan at the end of the year and going to that awful 5gb a month that ATT offers, so I suggest you lock in a new 2 year contract ASAP!
Wetboy5776 is offline   Reply With Quote