Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-11-2015, 07:33 PM   #1

Using DTV Genie with Winegard Carryout Dome

I'm currently using the Winegard Carryout Dome with the Directv standard receiver in our 11 yr-old coach. I'm considering trying to upgrade to Directv's Genie and was wondering if anyone knows whether or not this will work. I'm pretty sure the Genie won't work with the old 18" Winegard roof crank-up dish, at least from what I've read.
Anyone with any thoughts or suggestions on what I'm trying to do? Or will a call to Winegard or Directv be best for an answer?

Maybe the Winegard Rep who is on the Forum might be able to answer my question also.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-11-2015, 07:49 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Tiffin Owners Club
You would probably get a signal for the Genie, but it won't be a high definition signal. The only way to get a high def signal on DirecTV is with something like the Trav'ler antenna. The domes will ony receive standard definition on DTV.
Lt Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 09:24 PM   #3

My TVs aren't HD anyway so as long as I'd get a good enough signal for a decent picture would be fine with me for the time being. I have a new coach coming in that has the HD dish on top and up-to-date TVs so I'm just trying to get things in line for transferring to the new coach.
Old 02-15-2015, 01:47 PM   #4

Totally incompatible. All DirecTV Genie technology requires what they call SWM (for Single Wire Multiswitch). Carrouts are legacy technology.

There are those who will chime in and say just get a SWM switch and add it to your system. (Questionable decision in my opinion.) If you have two outputs on your Carryouts you could get SD SWM (no HD), but you would really be crippling your Genie.

If your current system works you are probably better to stick with it until you are ready to upgrade your dish. Then you can decide if you want the carry out features (which right now means aiming your own dish) or a roof mounted automated dish. But, to get the benefits of the Genie you need a whole new dish to go along with it.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:13 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
The CarryOut has two outputs, so you can certainly use it with an SWM-8 switch to make it compatible with the Genie receiver. You'll get all the Genie features except HD, so if that's what you want, go for it.

Just be aware that the Genie does NOT have an RF output, so you have to figure out how you're going to distribute the signal to your TVs.
Old 02-15-2015, 02:14 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob&AnnaMari View Post
There are those who will chime in and say just get a SWM switch and add it to your system. (Questionable decision in my opinion.) If you have two outputs on your Carryouts you could get SD SWM (no HD), but you would really be crippling your Genie.
Why do you consider that a questionable decision? It works fine with legacy antennas. All he's going to be missing is HD programming.
Old 02-15-2015, 10:24 PM   #7

You guys are great with all this information, and am i ever reaching the overload with all this technology terminology. What does the SWM switch look like, where would i get it, and how will it attach to my Carryout Dome?
Also, I had planned on using the Carryout Dome as a stand-alone antenna when the new coach is under trees making the roof mounted antenna useless, which is what I'm doing now with my 2004 coach. Will I be able to do this on the new coach if I do have a SWM switch on the Carryout?

What do the rest of you use on your new coaches when you can't use the roof mounted dish?
Old 02-15-2015, 11:26 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post

What do the rest of you use on your new coaches when you can't use the roof mounted dish?

Break out the wine and put on some romantic music. You can take it from there ! ( unless your on a hunting trip with a Buddy )
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2015, 12:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Why do you consider that a questionable decision? It works fine with legacy antennas. All he's going to be missing is HD programming.
OP has an eleven year old coach with no mention of HDMI (so assume rf input which is not supported by Genie). OP has standard receivers now. Genies have a higher monthly rent. I just find it questionable to spend a lot of time and money to upgrade to a Genie when all the other equipment appears to be SD legacy. Please, help me understand where the benefit is in all this.
Old 02-16-2015, 12:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
What does the SWM switch look like, where would i get it, and how will it attach to my Carryout Dome?
A
Download this pdf. It has the hookups for Winegard antennas with SWM switches. You can get the SWM switch from a number of distributors. Here is an example.
Old 02-16-2015, 02:45 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
OP has an eleven year old coach with no mention of HDMI (so assume rf input which is not supported by Genie). OP has standard receivers now. Genies have a higher monthly rent. I just find it questionable to spend a lot of time and money to upgrade to a Genie when all the other equipment appears to be SD legacy. Please, help me understand where the benefit is in all this.
Read post #3.
Old 02-16-2015, 09:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Read post #3.
Yep. Missed it. Well, now he has the wiring diagram for how to do it.
Old 02-16-2015, 08:22 PM   #13

Looks like I have some reading and figuring out what I can actually do, both with the equipment and my ability. May be trying to connect a jet engine to a kiddie peddle car here.
Everything has been working so well with the antiquated equipment I am now using I'm just hoping to pull all the new stuff together so it will be ready for my new coach in a couple of months. I'm too much of a TV watcher to be without it for any length of time on a trip.
Old 02-16-2015, 10:40 PM   #14

Quote:
Download this pdf. It has the hookups for Winegard antennas with SWM switches. You can get the SWM switch from a number of distributors. Here is an example.
That pdf. really has some deep reading. As has been stated, I'm not sure I can do what i want to do, or at least I'm not sure I have the know-how to do it. Now all i can do is hope I've ordered the right roof top DTV antenna on my new up-coming coach. I got very little help from anyone at the dealership about what the different ones did and considering my usage which one would be the best for me.
One of the FAQs on that pdf site asked if a DTV installer would make a house call to help with the installation of equipment and the answer was "probably not since service reps usually don't know much about RVs", which is even less help.
Appreciate the information even though it does illustrate how deep trouble (not exactly the word I like to be using here but only one I can use on the Internet) I may be in.