RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-13-2020, 05:58 PM   #43

We like the 55+

We switched only 3 or 4 months ago. We have 3 phones on the plan and pay about $130 per month including taxes. We hotspot our phones a LOT, and stream to our Apple TV on the road. We watched the Super Bowl, with very few issues. We don’t have a smartv, so we hotspot the iPhone to the Apple TV and watch frequently. We notice that 3 bars of LTE or better works the best. Just our experience since switching over.

DikEva is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-13-2020, 06:01 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
You do know that “unlimited data” doesn’t mean unlimited data in high enough speeds to stream TV, right?

There is a very limited amount of high speed data. Once used up you go to 2G speed or slower. You can use all of that you want, hence the term unlimited data. But it’s simply not really usable speed for most things. 2G speed is equivalent to dial internet from the 90’s.
You get 25gb at high speed. I don't think of that as "a very limited amount". It's not certain that they will throttle, but they may.

Miked3534 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:06 PM   #45

We went to the Verizon 55+. I believe cost was $45/month each phone but a $5 credit for auto bill. We use a Roku stick in the RV and a use phone as a hotspot. Most of the time we get a clear picture when streaming. Sometimes the resolution will be a bit blurry but usually no buffering problems. Of course there are times with no service. It all depends where you are. No regrets switching to this plan considering the cost. There is always DVD or over the air TV when available.
Rich F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:45 PM   #46

I switched from another company unlimited plan for two phones @ $130 total to the FLorida 55+ Verizon plan for two phones and unlimited data @ $90 total.
This plan does throttle tethering to devices like iPads or smart TV’s. If you have an iPhone and an AppleTV you can stream directly to your TV and Verizon probably will deliver data at full speed.
I plan on using a separate data box with a pay as you go month to month with no contract. I’ll buy the device and pay and use it when I need to. The throttled down tether speed is ok for most of my data use. That would be a PC or MacBook. That box can connect to an external antenna for better signal.
My 55+ plan is no contract, end when I choose. When I leave Florida the low price plan follows me on my travels.
Your Billing address must be in Florida to start but I think if you move it won’t go up unless you end the plan.
I started during a promo around Christmas so activation for each phone was waived. I also got a rebate gift card for each phone I brought with me from my old carrier. That reduced my first year plan cost by 1/3. Ask about promos.
RickB33952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 06:48 PM   #47

The 55 plan isn't available where we are. We recently moved to a very rural area NE AZ. where cell service is our only real internet/phone option. So we now have the same service at home and when we travel. The wife and I each have a smart phone, both have unlimited voice and text, and she has 5GB of data while I have 16GB. We also have two Mifi devices a router and a Jetpack. We purchased two data sims, each with 30GB. Either sim can be used in either Mifi device. We use the router at home because it has better reception and wifi coverage than the Jetpack. We can swap out one data sim for the other when the first is out of data, so we have 60GB/mo for the Mifi devices. Plus I can use either phone as a hotspot, giving us another 21GB/mo if needed. For all of this, we pay $155/mo. I have yet to gov over our total data allowance, though I did go through both data sims and partway through my phone's data, one month. Back in OR, we were with Viasat and paid $165/mo for 150GB of data and unlimited VOIP home phone, and I regularly used up the data. Plus we paid $50/mo for two cell phones for when we traveled, with limited voice/msg and 10GB of data on one of the phones. But back in OR I sold and repaired computers, so I was constantly doing updates and larger downloads.
MarcSayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:05 PM   #48

The 55+ plan from Verizon is only available in Florida.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:20 PM   #49

For those not paying attention, it was made pretty clear that the 55+ plan isn't available to me some posts back. If they decide to offer a 55+ around here again it;s very possible I would just make the jump. Rich F about four posts back chipped with real data on that he in fact is hotspotting to a Roku the way I wondered about and said it was at least acceptable. I'm still curious about what happens when you hit the limit when they start throttling it but I suspect streaming comes to an end.

Going outside the original focus, I've actually found the added info interesting. Companies are always cooking up plans to entice us to change up or start a new service. After following this thread very closely I feel like I now have a better idea of what to look for when they start waving an new offer at me. Also I trust that if and when the 55+ things leaks outside of Florida someone here will be posting up about it.

I've not yet continued my experiments with how much data it will take to feed my 720p TV for at least two constant hours but I haven't forgotten either.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 07:29 PM   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miked3534 View Post
With Straight Talk you can have Verizon unlimited talk, text, and data for $45/mo per phone. For $55/month you can add hotspot. Check it out.
Obviously you haven't been keeping up with the long established practice of Straighttalk saying your high speed data has magically been completely used up until you next renewal 3 weeks down the road. And no, you have no way of seeing logs to show how that could have possibly happened: you just have to take their word on it.

And try to port your number out of Straighttalk: rots of ruck.
tfryman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:04 PM   #51

You can rent someone’s grandfathered Verizon unlimited data plan. I did a quick eBay search to find an example of what’s available:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Renting-Gra...oAAOSwU0Vd01rY
PorscheLover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:15 PM   #52

Verizon internet and hotspot

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I've been kicking this around since I saw mention of this plan here. DW and I have a older 10Gb a month phone plan which works out to be $110. Just service, no phones. We usually only use half our data, but when we camp I'd like some more breathing room. We have gone over our data a few times. It doesn't cost too much when we do but it annoys me to have watch out for that. Since I've put a smart TV in our coach I'm thinking it would be nice to hotspot a phone so the TV can get Hulu, etc. The TV is 720p so I'm thinking Verizon's bandwidth limitations for hotspotting would be OK.

So I'm curious first off how much this plan actually costs. No way in Hades I can get and answer out of Verizon until I get the plan and make up a bill with all the extra stuff then tagged onto it.

And secondly, is their "unlimited" hotspot data good enough for a single Netflix stream if we don't try to browse forums and stuff at the same time? I understand that they throttle the speeds on top of that after so much usage but I don't think we'll push that limit.
My Verizon plan has unlimited data. However, that’s 15 gb a month then it drops to 640kb if you’re watch anything like Hulu and a movie in HD it averages a 1 gb an hr. You can also get a “jet pack” from Verizon which is $10.00 a month and gives you the same unlimited plan 15 gb then 640 kb that gives you 30gb per month and I usually run out of Gb’s close to the months end
orcaboy852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 08:47 PM   #53

Only available in Florida

Only available in Florida? Too Funny
Stannman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:43 PM   #54

After having Verizon for years, I got tired of a HUGE bill and getting kicked off 4G LTE when I went past 15 gb cap. I switched to VISIBLE, which is wholly owned by Verizon and uses their 4G LTE towers. Unlimited talk, text and data for $40 bucks TOTAL. I bought a TP Link Hot spot repeater ($30) and buried it in a front cabinet. Off that WiFi I run 2 tvs, laptop, tablet and another wifi device from my VISIBLE hotspot. I have no complaints on their service, I have NOT seen the speed drop and I love the price.
DWAnderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2020, 09:50 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcSayer View Post
The 55 plan isn't available where we are. We recently moved to a very rural area NE AZ. where cell service is our only real internet/phone option. So we now have the same service at home and when we travel. The wife and I each have a smart phone, both have unlimited voice and text, and she has 5GB of data while I have 16GB. We also have two Mifi devices a router and a Jetpack. We purchased two data sims, each with 30GB. Either sim can be used in either Mifi device. We use the router at home because it has better reception and wifi coverage than the Jetpack. We can swap out one data sim for the other when the first is out of data, so we have 60GB/mo for the Mifi devices. Plus I can use either phone as a hotspot, giving us another 21GB/mo if needed. For all of this, we pay $155/mo. I have yet to gov over our total data allowance, though I did go through both data sims and partway through my phone's data, one month. Back in OR, we were with Viasat and paid $165/mo for 150GB of data and unlimited VOIP home phone, and I regularly used up the data. Plus we paid $50/mo for two cell phones for when we traveled, with limited voice/msg and 10GB of data on one of the phones. But back in OR I sold and repaired computers, so I was constantly doing updates and larger downloads.
Check out VISIBLE. It is owned by Verizon. My brother was paying a LOT more than me for internet, phone etc. with verizon. He switched to VISIBLE after I told him about my satisfaction.
DWAnderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 03:15 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I've been kicking this around since I saw mention of this plan here. DW and I have a older 10Gb a month phone plan which works out to be $110. Just service, no phones. We usually only use half our data, but when we camp I'd like some more breathing room. We have gone over our data a few times. It doesn't cost too much when we do but it annoys me to have watch out for that. Since I've put a smart TV in our coach I'm thinking it would be nice to hotspot a phone so the TV can get Hulu, etc. The TV is 720p so I'm thinking Verizon's bandwidth limitations for hotspotting would be OK.

So I'm curious first off how much this plan actually costs. No way in Hades I can get and answer out of Verizon until I get the plan and make up a bill with all the extra stuff then tagged onto it.

And secondly, is their "unlimited" hotspot data good enough for a single Netflix stream if we don't try to browse forums and stuff at the same time? I understand that they throttle the speeds on top of that after so much usage but I don't think we'll push that limit.
I currently have Verizon which is ok, but lousy coverage in the West (outside of larger cities).
Switching to T-Mobil after using their 30 day free trial (they send you a hot spot device to use with 30 gig or 30 days which ever comes first. I spend a lot of times in remote parts of the Rockies (this year the winter from Thanksgiving to end of April in Steamboat Springs CO). My Verizon coverage at the KOA (which is in the city limits) gave me 1 bar most of the time.
The T-Mobil Hot Spot gives me 4 bars and they have a great 55+ plan that is better than Verizon.

bldski is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
switch, verizon