Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2020, 06:18 PM   #71

I have T-Mobile. All unlimited everything. They charge $55 for the first person and only $5.00 for the second one. I only pay for one phone and insurance on my phone and my monthly bill, every month is only $61.00. Unlimited everything!
jvd357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2020, 07:16 PM   #72

We have had T-Mobile 55+ for many years. 2 lines...$60 incl tax...unlimited data. We love it. We watch Neflix and use Apple TV to mirror to the TV. High speed data works in Canada and Mexico as if you were in the US. Data also works in Europe at 2G for free. Great for email and google maps and text messaging.

Jerry
sanfordja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2020, 07:28 PM   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
I think it is more that they will reduce your bandwidth if you start using too much data, but that is probably true for all "Unlimited" plans. Having to use data at really low speeds is almost as bad as not having it to begin with.
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
With all due respect that's not the case. As I recall Verizon had a big "to do" with the FCC over this issue and they were forced to honor the fact that unlimited really means unlimited. They can slow the rate to the point where there's not a lot you can do with it, but at least they don't cut you off at the knees.
Yep, that's what happens when you run out of 4G data, you get throttled down to 3G speeds or lower for the rest of the "unlimited" data.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 06:08 AM   #74

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
...Once we move off the plan we have, it vanishes....
Here’s a thought. Select a current data plan for regular use to replace the plan that will vanish. Then when you travel, switch to a higher data plan that will meet your needs on the road. When you return home switch back to the regular use plan.
Diana808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2020, 08:01 PM   #75

I'd have to calculate a bit but I'm pretty sure I'd end up paying more for less. Our plan was a special they put one for only a couple of months some years ago and we are grandfathered in. Until we quit it, then we can't go back. Not so long ago we went to a Verizon store for something with the wife's phone. During a boring lull I quizzed a rep about our plan which she looked up and said they currently had nothing to beat it in value per dollar at the time. She said if she were us, she'd hang onto it. What I've seen on their website bears that out, so far. So....

Not that I'm going to stop keeping an eye out. As long as they have competition there's a possibility they might come up with a deal that beats what we have. Which is why I was asking about the 55+ thing.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 06:20 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
Not that I'm going to stop keeping an eye out. As long as they have competition there's a possibility they might come up with a deal that beats what we have. Which is why I was asking about the 55+ thing.
My situation is similar to yours. My Verizon plan is pretty good - Unlimited everything for $112/month for 2 phones, but I always keep my eyes open for something better.

There have been so many new offerings in cell service lately that I wonder if the whole rate structure might be in the process of change. A couple of years ago you had the choice of AT&T, Verizon, T-Mobile, Sprint and a handful of others. Now you have Visible, Cricket, Google Fi, T-Mobile has (I think) bought out Sprint, and I don't know what might be coming.

We have an unlimited plan specifically because I don't want to run into issues with a data cap when we are traveling, but our unlimited plan is actually less expensive than the 8GB plan we used to be on, so I sometimes wonder at the entire plan structure for cell service. Our actual data usage is almost 0 when we are home because we use our home wifi, and even when we travel our usage is generally under 5GB, but I generally feel more comfortable not having to worry about going over a data cap.
AJMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2020, 12:43 PM   #77

First: check out party pay on visible. It is $25/mo every month. not just the first.

Second: visible can be paused for up to 60 days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJMike View Post
Three comments. First, according to their web page, Visible is only $25/month for the first month. After that it is $40/month.

Second, Visible coverage uses the Verizon 4G LTE network but provides no coverage in Verizon's 3G areas, and they offer lower speed than the Verizon plan offers. They do not have a data cap, but they do have speed caps for their hotspot usage.

Third, you can not pause their service if you want to keep the phone for travel usage only.

All of that seems important to keep in mind about Visible.
Old 03-05-2020, 05:45 PM   #78

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Verizon 55+ plan and tried to us the phone as hotspot and found the 600kbs limit. I used a lighting connect to HDMI and found that works very good and bypass those limits. I also have a IPAD and the same account today I found that it's not limited to 600kbs and getting around 40 megs down 25 up with speedtest using it as a hotspot.
CWSWine is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:07 PM   #79

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to 02rld
Phones

Read a lot of the posts here and I think a lot of you would do well to check out CONSUMER CELLULAR. Reasonably priced and you can increase/decrease your data limits at will. The only service we have ever used and periodically check the competition and never have found a reason to switch.
02rld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 06:45 PM   #80

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rld View Post
Read a lot of the posts here and I think a lot of you would do well to check out CONSUMER CELLULAR. Reasonably priced and you can increase/decrease your data limits at will. The only service we have ever used and periodically check the competition and never have found a reason to switch.

Why would I want to " increase/decrease" my data limits when I can burn though 400 to 600 gigs a month for stable price.

I'm still grandfathered in on the 65 dollar hotspot plan and i have burn over 600 gigs in one month.
Old 03-06-2020, 05:38 AM   #81

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via Yahoo to 02rld
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWSWine View Post
Why would I want to " increase/decrease" my data limits when I can burn though 400 to 600 gigs a month for stable price.

I'm still grandfathered in on the 65 dollar hotspot plan and i have burn over 600 gigs in one month.
Because you can increase/decrease at any time during the month so you only pay for what you use. For many people, this is much better than a fixed amount.
02rld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 07:42 AM   #82

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02rld View Post
Because you can increase/decrease at any time during the month so you only pay for what you use. For many people, this is much better than a fixed amount.

So what would it cost to use say 300 Gigs in a month? We are

Tags
switch, verizon