RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2020, 01:18 PM   #1

Verizon 55+ plan worth switching to?

I've been kicking this around since I saw mention of this plan here. DW and I have a older 10Gb a month phone plan which works out to be $110. Just service, no phones. We usually only use half our data, but when we camp I'd like some more breathing room. We have gone over our data a few times. It doesn't cost too much when we do but it annoys me to have watch out for that. Since I've put a smart TV in our coach I'm thinking it would be nice to hotspot a phone so the TV can get Hulu, etc. The TV is 720p so I'm thinking Verizon's bandwidth limitations for hotspotting would be OK.

So I'm curious first off how much this plan actually costs. No way in Hades I can get and answer out of Verizon until I get the plan and make up a bill with all the extra stuff then tagged onto it.

And secondly, is their "unlimited" hotspot data good enough for a single Netflix stream if we don't try to browse forums and stuff at the same time? I understand that they throttle the speeds on top of that after so much usage but I don't think we'll push that limit.

GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #2

I switched to the over 55 plan about 10 months ago. With no phones on the plan my bill is about $89 a month.

Some have said it's not truly unlimited and Verizon will slow you down or deprioritize you. I'm not a huge data user, so I've never experienced that at all.

I went from 2 GB a month to the over 55 and I really like not having to worry about going over.

69Stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:25 PM   #3

Give this thread a read: (You can get it for $25 a month)
40 month unlimited internet interested?
Fred Edelkamp, USAF Combat Camera Retired driving Betsy - 2004 Fleetwood Flair 33R F53 6.8 V10 20.5K | Samson 245/70R19.5 | CHF | Bilstein HD | Safe-T-Plus | 5 Star Tune | TST | Blue Ox Alpha Autostop | 2006 Jeep Wrangler TJ | 2009 Hyundai Accent hatchback
frede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:35 PM   #4

We have Verison and would not have anything else. We have 15g and do not go over. We uses hot spot all the time for phones and laptop and tablet for internet. No, it will nor hot spot ruku, nextflex etc. We have DTV.
Old 02-03-2020, 01:37 PM   #5

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Stang View Post
I switched to the over 55 plan about 10 months ago. With no phones on the plan my bill is about $89 a month.

Some have said it's not truly unlimited and Verizon will slow you down or deprioritize you. I'm not a huge data user, so I've never experienced that at all.

I went from 2 GB a month to the over 55 and I really like not having to worry about going over.
Same here. I have two phones on the plan and my bill is about $90 taxes included. I really like the 55+ plan and not having to watch my usage.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 01:46 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsyR View Post
I've been kicking this around since I saw mention of this plan here. DW and I have a older 10Gb a month phone plan which works out to be $110. Just service, no phones. We usually only use half our data, but when we camp I'd like some more breathing room. We have gone over our data a few times. It doesn't cost too much when we do but it annoys me to have watch out for that. Since I've put a smart TV in our coach I'm thinking it would be nice to hotspot a phone so the TV can get Hulu, etc. The TV is 720p so I'm thinking Verizon's bandwidth limitations for hotspotting would be OK.

So I'm curious first off how much this plan actually costs. No way in Hades I can get and answer out of Verizon until I get the plan and make up a bill with all the extra stuff then tagged onto it.

And secondly, is their "unlimited" hotspot data good enough for a single Netflix stream if we don't try to browse forums and stuff at the same time? I understand that they throttle the speeds on top of that after so much usage but I don't think we'll push that limit.
We've been on plan for several months, no problems so far with a data cap or slowdown. BUT the phone hotspot is ALWAYS limited to 600kbs, so it may not do well for streaming through the phone hotspot.
If you can figure a way to stream TO you phone and then share the screen to a TV (or whatever) then that would be the way to do it.

From the plan on the Verizon page "Unlimited Mobile Hotspot (600 Kbps) "
Old 02-03-2020, 01:54 PM   #7

I have two lines on one bill. One is on an iPhone and one line is for an iPad with unlimited talk (on the phone) unlimited text and unlimited data. I use the iPad to surf the web instead of the phone as a hotspot. I do not stream video. I switched to the over 55 plan and saw no difference other than a lower bill.
TXTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:44 PM   #8

We used it for a short time in 2019 and dropped it due to frequent issues with low prioritization. Four bars of signal and no internet bandwidth!
Old 02-03-2020, 04:46 PM   #9

Rather then call them, open the My Verizon app and go thru the changing plans routine and they will show plan prices.

I think I pay $88 for 2 phones with unlimited data.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Streaming TV will need a minimum of 1.5 - 3 mbps and require about 1gig of data per hour at 720p.

If all you do is talk, text and check internet/mail on your phone the 55+ plan could save you money.

If you want to stream TV that plan will not be your friend.

Streaming on the road is a huge topic. If you want to do it plan on weeks or months of forum and YouTube researching.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:37 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativepart View Post
Streaming TV will need a minimum of 1.5 - 3 mbps and require about 1gig of data per hour at 720p.

If all you do is talk, text and check internet/mail on your phone the 55+ plan could save you money.

If you want to stream TV that plan will not be your friend.

Streaming on the road is a huge topic. If you want to do it plan on weeks or months of forum and YouTube researching.
About what I was suspecting. According to previous posts I might save $20 a month. I've read ALL of the $40 a month thread and it doesn't really apply to what I think I need (nor keep DW happy). I tend to be on call from 911 24-7 so solid phone service is top priority. Once we move off the plan we have, it vanishes. We have to be pretty sure we will like the replacement plan.

The info I've read in the past in this section is why I'm asking here rather than in a more phone oriented forum.

Still keeping an eye out for options. I wonder if I can constrict my bandwidth to what Verizon would allow me to hotspot and see how video streams. Or not. Hmmm.
Old 02-03-2020, 07:56 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Anything below 1mbps and video won’t load on your tv.

Netflix runs a testing website that will say when your service is fast enough. Just go to www.fast.com
Old 02-03-2020, 07:57 PM   #13

Pulled up Netflix in my browser and it turns out you can easily restrict how much data is used on different profiles. Your choice of low at .3 GB, medium at .7 Gb, high at 3Gb for HD or 7gb and hour for UHD. 600Kb is pretty close to .7 Gb.

So I set it for .3 and .7 and watched some "Stranger Things" windowed and full screen. If I did it right and it's doing what they said it's VERY watchable. Not sure though. I don't know of any tools on hand to check. Right clicking on the screen doesn't bring up anything useful about what resolution I'm seeing or the actual bandwidth. Might have to go out to the coach and try in the 720p TV.
Old 02-04-2020, 12:56 PM   #14

Watched Netflix in the coach for an hour or so and it looks fine to me at .7 Gb. Or that is what the Netflix setting is supposed to limited to. I don't trust it not to have some goofy protocol to ignore what I told it to use since it can see there's a lot more bandwidth available.

So it would appear that the 55+ might work OK for what I want despite the naysayers so far? I'm more on the side of the naysayers so far until I have PROOF of what I think I see. I seem to recall seeing something on my wifi router that showed the data rate of connected users. So I'm thinking I can let the stream run and maybe see what actual data is being used.

The main thing is that I am tempted by the unlimited data but don't want to be stuck if the reality doesn't pan out. Anyone actually using their 55+ plan to stream Hulu and/or Netflix off their hotspot like I am interested in doing? I haven't seen where anyone is doing exactly that in a reply yet. I did see where someone didn't bother as they never got good enough connection.

Tags
switch, verizon