Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-15-2011, 01:08 PM   #1

Verizon billing heads up

We use a very basic service plan and after checking some bills, I found charges for texting witch we do not use in any form. I called Verizon to complain and was told that you cannot turn off texting from a phone, must be done by them. Was also told that you are charged for a text call, wanted or not.
When I said I wanted a refund for all the bogus charges, CS said she could not do that. At that point I said connect me to a supervisor and I would drop service. After being put on hold, she said she could delete the charges. Received my new bill and they had taken off about twelve dollars. This small amount won't make or break me but if you were to add all the bogus charges together, they are making a killing off customers.
Just thought some members might not be aware of this rip.
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-15-2011, 02:47 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Never had a problem with verizon, billing or otherwise.
cannon man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 02:56 PM   #3

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You have made one mistake in that original post.> Verizon does not have customer service... They have Cuss-Some-More non service.

I invented that phrase for one of their sub units more years ago than I care to admit, and it still fits.

I do not know about verizon, but if you text MY phone, I won't get it.. Blocked at the Telephone service provider it is.
Old 10-15-2011, 03:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We have Verizon and have a block on text. Usually their initial response to refund is no, can't do it. But I just remind them of how long I have been their customer and ask to speak to their supervisor and they always take care of my problem. I think most carriers are the same way.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 03:46 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Skyline Owners Group
It's been a while since I tangled w/Verizon, but I do remember their CS is VERY limited in what they can/will do. The only person who can do less for you is the rep behind the counter at the Verizon store. If you can get to their Customer Retention Dept., THOSE folks are the ones that can make things happen for you. Unfortunately, you usually have to threaten to leave/change carriers in order to get transferred to that dept. Sad that it takes the spectre of leaving to get them to want to help

L-
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 04:08 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
We both retired from Verizon (not wireless) and I can say that I have rarely hung up from calling them without a headache. I tell them so but am wasting my breath.

We both have texting but I resisted for a long time. It is the only way to communicate with kids and a lot of adults now days. And if you don't have it young folks roll their eyes at you and think geezer
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:23 PM   #7

I did not cancel their service since their coverage is very good in most of the areas I travel and tho limited, the minutes are OK for our use.
They may list in the fine print that only they can block unwanted text calls. Like a lot of people, I only read the manual as a last resort and the fine print they use can't be good for my older eyes.
I just got PO'd that spammers who are now moving into the cell area can send a message to my phone that I do not open but am charged for.
They said they put a block on the text area but time will tell.
Jerry
southland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 05:40 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
You can use the Verizon network, and not have a Verizon contract or have to deal with their bogus charges. Buy a phone from Straight Talk. Phones with a 'C' suffix in their model number are on the Verizon network. Phones with a 'G' suffix are on the ATT network. (CDMA vs GSM).

You buy the phone, then pay a flat rate each month. $45/mo buys you unlimited everything with no contract. $30/mo gets you 1000 minutes, 1000 texts, and some amount of data (I don't use data on my phone, so I don't know)

They have an android phone, if you like them, for $150+45/mo unlimited.

Their customer service sucks too, but there's no contract so you can walk anytime. These phones are available online or at Walmart.

I've been with them for over a year now with absolutely no problems.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:13 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
I have been with Verizon for about 12 yrs. I have never had any problems with them at all. My wife usually never texts so I did not have text on her phone, but she recently started texting with our son out of state. I noticed a $18.00 charge for her texts, I called them and had text added to her phone and told them why. They took the $18.00 of my bill since I had been such a longtime customer. I did not even ask for them to do this. I have had a lot of other problems that they took care of right away.
I have friends that have AT&T ...oh boy the problems they have had, including very rude customer service people. ETC. Several have changed to Verizon. Just my 2 cents. I like Verizon Wireless.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:11 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
I have not had a problem with Verizon Wireless disabling text messaging to ALL of my wireless phones. They won't even accept a text message. What I have found is that when making any changes to your account (upgrading phones, extending the contract, etc.) you must go thru each phone with them to disable test messaging again. When a change is made, that option apparently falls out.
Roam America is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #11

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by HD4Mark View Post
We both retired from Verizon (not wireless) and I can say that I have rarely hung up from calling them without a headache. I tell them so but am wasting my breath.

We both have texting but I resisted for a long time. It is the only way to communicate with kids and a lot of adults now days. And if you don't have it young folks roll their eyes at you and think geezer
I don't care if they think geezer; I am one! If someone wants to talk to me, the bloody well can TALK to me!
LadyFitz... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2011, 05:28 PM   #12

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by southland View Post
We use a very basic service plan and after checking some bills, I found charges for texting witch we do not use in any form. I called Verizon to complain and was told that you cannot turn off texting from a phone, must be done by them. Was also told that you are charged for a text call, wanted or not.
When I said I wanted a refund for all the bogus charges, CS said she could not do that. At that point I said connect me to a supervisor and I would drop service. After being put on hold, she said she could delete the charges. Received my new bill and they had taken off about twelve dollars. This small amount won't make or break me but if you were to add all the bogus charges together, they are making a killing off customers.
Just thought some members might not be aware of this rip.

I have Tmobile and they tried the same thing -- charge me for texts that others sent (not even people I know). Put an end to that. However, I could go on line and block all texts for free (without having to deal with customer service). Just clicked "block texts". No more problems.
Old 10-18-2011, 08:07 AM   #13

Just keep in mind that if you are in an area with an emergency, texting may be the only way you can use your phone. Voice service may not be available but texting is. We have been located in a cell "dead zone"'for about 6 months. Rarely can we receive or make calls. But texting always works.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 07:10 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Our daughter was a Customer Service rep for escalated calls at AT&T. The agents do have some latitude to take care of a pretty wide range of problems. Mostly they do not want to as it makes work for them as they are watched to see how many calls they process in an hour. The easy answer to the customer is NO in hopes that you will simply go away.

Always insist that you get to speak to a supervisor.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
verizon