Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 11-05-2014, 03:02 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Wizard's Avatar
 
Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Home on the hill in Georgia
Posts: 2,705
Verizon data plans changed

I saw on the news where Verizon was changing their data plans.

I have their share everything plan and the 10GB plan changed from $100 down to $80

$100 will now get you 15GB

Don't know if this is for new customers or just existing. Also that's online not sure about stores
__________________
Jerry & Patsy Potter, Taz & Jake Jr.
2000 Winnebago Journey
2006 Ford Explorer 4X4
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2014, 03:15 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
DSL417's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,550
Blog Entries: 2
We are actually coming up on our monthly turnover, and upon checking it out, we'll get 30Gigs for $20 less than we paid for 20Gigs before. I would think this is an olive branch reaching out to Verizon customers while trying to lure Millenicom folks into the Verizon net. JMHO, a good thing, particularly if you spend much time out west where 3G and 4G coverage is somewhat better than the other major cell companies.
__________________
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
2020 Ford F-150 Lariat
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2014, 05:40 PM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jeff753's Avatar
 
Monaco Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSL417 View Post
We are actually coming up on our monthly turnover, and upon checking it out, we'll get 30Gigs for $20 less than we paid for 20Gigs before. I would think this is an olive branch reaching out to Verizon customers while trying to lure Millenicom folks into the Verizon net. JMHO, a good thing, particularly if you spend much time out west where 3G and 4G coverage is somewhat better than the other major cell companies.

What's the name of the plan and what number do you call, or how do you get this plan?
30 gigs for $70??? I think I was paying $89.99 for 20GB on a Millenicom.


Jeff
2001 Dynasty Regent tag axle
Cummins 350 8.3 ISC
__________________
Jeff
2001 Monaco Dynasty tag axle
2006 Jeep Wrangler
Jeff753 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
cpaulsen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Oregon
Posts: 224
They had a special last month which ended 11/01......that you could double your plan for no cost. We went from 15 to 30.
cpaulsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 06:58 AM   #5
Senior Member
 
Superslif's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NE. Ohio USA
Posts: 5,919
Related ? here...

Having had a plan the last 3 years with 3G data (Verizon). What does 4G get me? Yes, I know higher data speed, but does it give me better over-all coverage?

I have an older IPhone 4. (3 years old) Over-all has been very good, getting basic coverage in more rural areas. Might be slow...but I can at least upload my email most of the time. There are times we are in "box canyon" type of state parks in Ohio, PA., WV.

My two year contract is up, was wondering if it was time to get a newer phone and move up to the 4G network. My fear is the 4G is super fast in the cities and towns, but non-existent in the country.

Vacationed to two new to us state parks this past summer, checked the Verizon coverage map to see I had coverage near by or bare bones 3G coverage at my campsite. The nearest 4G was 10 to 20 miles away. Will a new 4G phone still pick up a network data 3G signal?
__________________
Jim & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2018 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24 RKS
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 07:11 AM   #6
Senior Member
 
wa8yxm's Avatar
 
Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 24,023
They are starting to feel the pinch from competitors.

With the plan I have (A competitor's) I get 6.5 Gig of high speed and unlimited 3G, Text and Voice for 86/month taxes included. I have hit 6Gig a few times, but never went over my lmit by more than 0.1 Gig and never noticed a slow down.
__________________
Home is where I park it!
wa8yxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:49 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Denali's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superslif View Post
Related ? here...

Having had a plan the last 3 years with 3G data (Verizon). What does 4G get me? Yes, I know higher data speed, but does it give me better over-all coverage?

I have an older IPhone 4. (3 years old) Over-all has been very good, getting basic coverage in more rural areas. Might be slow...but I can at least upload my email most of the time. There are times we are in "box canyon" type of state parks in Ohio, PA., WV.

My two year contract is up, was wondering if it was time to get a newer phone and move up to the 4G network. My fear is the 4G is super fast in the cities and towns, but non-existent in the country.

Vacationed to two new to us state parks this past summer, checked the Verizon coverage map to see I had coverage near by or bare bones 3G coverage at my campsite. The nearest 4G was 10 to 20 miles away. Will a new 4G phone still pick up a network data 3G signal?
All Verizon 4G devices will utilize 3G service if 4G service is not available.

In other words, you lose no coverage by switching to a 4G device. You simply get service that is about 10 times faster almost everywhere that there is a Verizon service nowadays.
__________________
Dave Rudisill
2004 Beaver Monterey - Fulltiming since August 2002
Denali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 05:41 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
Superslif's Avatar
 
Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: NE. Ohio USA
Posts: 5,919
So with a 2 year contract up a year ago, do I qualify as a new customer. Meaning do I have any bargaining power in upgrading to a new phone and getting a price break on the plan I have now (Friends & Family plan with 4 lines, one with data, 1Gig )?

With this plan we have stayed under our limits every month, but would like to get a few more Gig's.
__________________
Jim & Robert ~ NE. OH.
2018 Outdoors RV Timber Ridge 24 RKS
2014 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7L
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 08:45 PM   #9
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: WI
Posts: 89
The double data promo is still in effect. The old 16gb gets you 30gb for $130. Old 20gb now is 40gb for $150. The new promo that started on the 1st is for a couple of the lower gb plans. I don't recall exactly what they are but the OP post sounds right.
These plans are for anybody new or existing.

Like someone else said, if you don't get 4g signal, your phone will fall back to 3G or even 1x. Though there are settings to prevent this if you wish. Verizon, and I'm sure pretty much any other providers are not upgrading 3G or CDMA towers anymore. All voice and data will be over 4g LTE in the future. Though they probably won't turn off 3G or CDMA for at least 2 years, maybe 3-4 years.
srt20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 09:12 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
DSL417's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,550
Blog Entries: 2
Just note the fine print, if it matters to you...if you up your data plan, you are signing on for another two years contract. For us it didn't matter, as the national coverage with Verizon is simply overall better than the other providers.
__________________
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
2020 Ford F-150 Lariat
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Milehghcty's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Hot Springs, SD
Posts: 430
I have the more everything 2gb plan and went to the Verizon website and didn't see anything change such as more data or less cost. Do you know if this only apply to the higher data plans?
Milehghcty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 04:36 AM   #12
paz
Senior Member
 
paz's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Full-timers - Home is where we park it.
Posts: 4,717
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milehghcty View Post
I have the more everything 2gb plan and went to the Verizon website and didn't see anything change such as more data or less cost. Do you know if this only apply to the higher data plans?
Yes, the bonus data promotion only applies to the higher data plans. It also only applies if you have a smartphone on your plan. There is no bonus data if you have a data-only plan for a Mi-Fi or modem without a smartphone.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 06:20 AM   #13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 448
I don't see it that way on the Verizon web site updated a few days ago, to show the more everything 30 gig data plan is now priced at $225.
The only current reductions seem to be limited to 6 - 10 gig plans.
Can you provide a link to where you still see the 30 gig at $130 offered on any Verizon site?



Quote:
Originally Posted by srt20 View Post
The double data promo is still in effect. The old 16gb gets you 30gb for $130. Old 20gb now is 40gb for $150. The new promo that started on the 1st is for a couple of the lower gb plans. I don't recall exactly what they are but the OP post sounds right.
These plans are for anybody new or existing.
Jim2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2014, 07:20 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
DSL417's Avatar
 
Entegra Owners Club
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 6,550
Blog Entries: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
I don't see it that way on the Verizon web site updated a few days ago, to show the more everything 30 gig data plan is now priced at $225.
The only current reductions seem to be limited to 6 - 10 gig plans.
Can you provide a link to where you still see the 30 gig at $130 offered on any Verizon site?
I'm thinking maybe the offer comes to you individually if you have a high data plan a few days before you turn over at the "end" of your month. Ours actually popped up as we approached going over our monthly plan.
__________________
Dave and Beth
2015 Cornerstone 45J
2020 Ford F-150 Lariat
DSL417 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
verizon



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Verizon Wireless to slow down users with unlimited 4G LTE plans plasma800 Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 4 08-04-2014 09:42 AM
VERIZON Excess Data Usage slabman Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 19 07-19-2014 11:33 AM
Verizon Jetpack (Pantech) MHS291LVW Medico Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 12 07-02-2014 03:37 PM
Verizon Razr w/FoxFi in Wilson Sleek 4G-V problems Ken-55 Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 9 06-02-2014 08:10 AM

» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.