Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2019, 10:56 AM   #1

Verizon hot spot device

Verizon must have seen a sucker coming and sold me on the Ellipsis device, what a piece of crap it has been. It drops signal on a regular basis and we have used it in many location over the last few months with the same results.
So, I'm fed up with it and it's time to simply get a different one. Before on step foot into another Verizon shop and have them find out that I'm a non tacky guy and have them sucker me again I figured I would come here and get some real life info.
Is there a particular hotspot that is tested and true? We don't need the newest fanciest thing on the market, just reliable and something that maybe I can put an antenna on if I want.
I will be using it for our pre paid unlimited data plan.
HDrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2019, 03:08 PM   #2

Jayco Owners Club
I'm not techy either. Just wanted to point out that Verizon along with other providers seem to be having lots of trouble lately.

My Verizon service was bad to nonexistent last week. I checked https://downdetector.com/ and could see the eastern 2/3's of the USA was sluggish.

Normally we get good service here 50 miles west of Minneapolis. We're using a Verizon Jetpack 6620L and Iphones.
DonavonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:14 PM   #3

Do you have a smart phone? They all can be used as a wifi hot spot. Before you spend a dime on anything first, make sure the device software is up to date. Second, turn your phone into a hot spot and see if it drops out too. Its always highly likely the drop outs are due to where your parked. Finally can you add a external antenna to the device? If so it might be worth hooking one up and see if it makes a difference.
Old 06-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #4
doc

Appalachian Campers
I have one that has not worked in a couple of years. Just quit finding a signal. My iPhone does much better and I can run two computers off the hot spot on it.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 04:30 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Buy a 7730l on ebay. New enough to have most of the capability, but does not have the problems of the 8800l. Or you can buy a Peplink or Mofi router.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Explorer and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2019, 05:15 PM   #6

Does it have an antenna jack that you can connect an external antenna to? I'd look for a device that has a jack or get a booster, but I don't have experience with any of the broadband hotspots. For now, put the device up as high as you can. Like under a vent or near a window. Hang it from the ceiling.

Verizion is still a good carrier. I'm in the National Forest right now at 9,000' and hit 78 Mb/s down during the week. Today it is Saturday and plenty of people are out and about hitting the towers. Still getting 64Mb/s down using a cellphone hotspot.

Mtn. Lion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 05:07 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
Do you have a smart phone? They all can be used as a wifi hot spot. Before you spend a dime on anything first, make sure the device software is up to date. Second, turn your phone into a hot spot and see if it drops out too. Its always highly likely the drop outs are due to where your parked. Finally can you add a external antenna to the device? If so it might be worth hooking one up and see if it makes a difference.
When I'm in the middle of something somewhat important online and it gives me fits I switch to my phone hot spot and the problem never happens.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:09 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by diginomad View Post
Does it have an antenna jack that you can connect an external antenna to? I'd look for a device that has a jack or get a booster, but I don't have experience with any of the broadband hotspots. For now, put the device up as high as you can. Like under a vent or near a window. Hang it from the ceiling.

Verizion is still a good carrier. I'm in the National Forest right now at 9,000' and hit 78 Mb/s down during the week. Today it is Saturday and plenty of people are out and about hitting the towers. Still getting 64Mb/s down using a cellphone hotspot.

The Ellipsis I have does not have an external Jack, wish it did.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:12 AM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm having good luck with this one
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 06-30-2019, 05:12 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonavonP View Post
I'm not techy either. Just wanted to point out that Verizon along with other providers seem to be having lots of trouble lately.

My Verizon service was bad to nonexistent last week. I checked https://downdetector.com/ and could see the eastern 2/3's of the USA was sluggish.

Normally we get good service here 50 miles west of Minneapolis. We're using a Verizon Jetpack 6620L and Iphones.
Thanks for the info but this thing has acted like this for months. I started out by blaming it on where we were time after time but after a while you just figure out that you can't possibly camp in a couple dozen different spots in a row and have problems in ever darn one. I have my unlucky streaks but that's over the top even for me lol.
Old 06-30-2019, 05:23 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
both the 7730L and the 8800 have antenna jacks.
2015 Itasca Sunova 30A, Brazel Ultra RV Tune, Safe-T-Plus, Sumo Springs on front, CHF, Hellwig Endlinks, SuperSteer track (Panhard) bar, Roadmaster rear sway bar, Koni Shocks, 900 w. solar, Battle Born House batteries, Roadmaster Falcon 2, Ford Explorer and DW.
waterman480 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 08:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman480 View Post
Buy a 7730l on ebay. New enough to have most of the capability, but does not have the problems of the 8800l. Or you can buy a Peplink or Mofi router.

We're doing well with the 7730L we bought on ebay for $68. Typically get 35 to 50 mb/s down at home in a semi-rural area of Georgia with the Verizon PupP (Prepaid Unlimited Plan). Very few hiccups. Bought the Netgear Mimo antenna, looking forward to trying that, particularly on RV trips.
Old 07-02-2019, 06:25 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman480 View Post
X2 on the 7730L. Under $100 on eBay. I also got the $30 Netgear Mimo antenna which improves throughput.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
verizon