Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2014, 05:03 AM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Verizon Jetpack (Pantech) MHS291LVW

The RV Park we landed in yesterday does not have any useable WiFi. I NEED the internet so we had to make a decision on what to do.

We purchased a Verizon Jetpack MHS291LVW device and started a 5GB data plan with Verizon. The plan is $50 per month with a $37 activation fee that comes with the first month's bill. This particular device is capable of both 4G and 3G connections. Be aware that the less expensive Jetpack (generally that is free or very low cost) is only able to connect to 4G systems and Verizon IS NOT 100% 4G. That device will not work on their 3G systems. This device also has a 2.4 Ghz and a 5.0 Ghz modes (bands). The 5.0 Ghz mode is generally less congested and consequently faster. We found however that our BN Nooks and my wife's older cell phone were unable to connect to the 5.0 Ghz mode so at present I am using the 2.4 Ghz. mode.

I was able to also connect my WiFiRanger Go Router through the 2.4 Ghz mode, but it would not see the 5.0 Ghz mode either. I suspect the newer WiFiRanger products would be able to utilize the 5.0 Ghz mode. Based on the older devices I still have in my inventory I suspect we will continue on the 2.4 Ghz mode for now. I wanted to use my Go Router because my wireless printer is connected to this network and it's a PITA to change to a new network.

This Jetpack, after being activated at the Verizon store, worked perfectly at our coach. Once we entered the PW on our various devices, they all connected at very reasonable speeds. This jet pack gave me speeds of about 60% to 70% what I was getting when using my WiFiRanger to my sister-in-law's FIOS wireless modem in her home. This is great news for me as I was often very disappointed with the WiFi connections we were saddles with at the various RV Parks we stopped at.

I will gladly recommend this Jetpack device for internet on the road. The price seems reasonable for 5 GB of data, and additional data packages are available. Take a look!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2014, 05:24 AM   #2

We use a Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE and have done so for 2 years now. Where we live out in the country, we just don't have any other way to get internet connection. Just from the looks of your unit, I would guess ours is out of date. We found the 6 G data plan just wasn't cutting it, and we are now running 16 G. It seems if my wife forgets and keeps her IPad and Samsung Note connected, especially over night, it really eats the data.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 05:45 AM   #3

Yes, you do have to disconnect your devices when not in use. These newer devices seem to love to "phone home" regularly, which uses data.

We also do not stream over our internet at all, so this should help.

Let me ask, if your PC's are sleeping, does this protect against data usage in your opinion?
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 06-29-2014, 05:50 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Been using our Jetpack for a couple of years and have the 10 gig package. Never had a problem. we leave all our devices connected all the time however the computers go to sleep when not used

Without it we don't have internet out in the country where we live.
Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wizard View Post
Been using our Jetpack for a couple of years and have the 10 gig package. Never had a problem. we leave all our devices connected all the time however the computers go to sleep when not used

Without it we don't have internet out in the country where we live.
I thought that even when devices "go to sleep", they will still download updates. My Samsung S3 does, if there is wifi or cell service available.
Indian River, De
CaptBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2014, 11:20 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post

We also do not stream over our internet at all, so this should help.

Let me ask, if your PC's are sleeping, does this protect against data usage in your opinion?
Stream? Sleep?
Remember, I am dumber than a miners coal bucket and I have to ask my granddaughter what some of this stuff means! She just told me "Pop Pop, you don't know how to stream, and from what I see, you are sleeping all the time!" and had this twinkle in her eyes that I love so much.

We are thinking to switching to AT&T plan where we can get our phones and internet or staying with Verizon and getting phones added to that account. Anyone have comments on AT&T WiFi verses Verizon WiFi?
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2014, 11:12 AM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
My suggestion is to change everything to Verizon. I've had the Jet-Pack for a couple years and love it and have always had Verizon phone service. I change the plan as needed. You can go on-line and change your usage allowance at the click of a mouse. Last year we traveled to Wisconsin from Southern Calif. Then across to Idaho, Washington and the Oregon and Calif Coast. Had a 4G signal everywhere except the coastal areas in Oregon and Calif where we got a strong 3G signal.
kennersonf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 05:03 AM   #8

Well, I just ordered the Millenicom package of 20 GB for $89.99 per month. Millenicom uses the exact same device and the Verizon network. Two reasons, I am finding the 5 GB would not be enough for us. To upgrade to 10 GB would cost $80 per month with a 2 year commitment. The biggest reason however is the ability to suspend the plan during the time we are back in Silver Springs and have descent WiFi available on their network. To me, this is the biggy! Plus I am not tied into a 2 year contract.

I will be returning the Verizon Jetpack and eat the restocking costs. It did serve a purpose and allowed me a connection while I was doing further investigation.

The new Pantech 291 has MUCH better reviews that the older units. It is much more stable and even works while in motion most of the time.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 07-01-2014, 05:25 AM   #9

We've had the Verizon JetPack almost two years and it works very well for us. We have two cell phones on the same bill. Two tablets connected to a wireless printer using the Jetpack as a router. This is small wireless system that is out of sight but works. We're fulltime so all of the above is very conveinent and is a must for us.
Old 07-01-2014, 06:17 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medico View Post
Well, I just ordered the Millenicom package of 20 GB for $89.99 per month.

I run my businesses from the road and this is the most economical way to get Verizon coverage.
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:39 AM   #11
Elf

Tiffin Owners Club
We've also been using Verizon through Millenicom for a couple of years now. Just recently upgraded to the new Pantech device. Even with the recent price increase I haven't found a better option.
Elf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2014, 06:58 AM   #12

We use the Verizon Jetpack 4G LTE too. It's the only way we get internet at our brick home and we've seldom been without service anywhere we've traveled. We also have 2 smart phones on the 10G plan. I think that with phone service, our bill is about $215/month.

Our phones are on all of the time but I do disconnect my laptop from the Jetpack at night or anytime I'm not actively using it. We do have a couple of Kindles but their wireless is turned off unless we're downloading books.

I will say, that I had a terrible jump in data usage for no reason. I complained to Verizon for months before finally getting a tech to listen to me and he started tracking the usage and we compared what my devices were showing we used against what the Jetpack said and there was quite the difference. Verizon sent me a new Jetpack which solved the problem. The ONLY reason, that I knew the Verizon numbers were wrong is because for several years, we were on unlimited data on the phones but I had 5G for the MiFi which is what the laptop used. It was on all of the time & never disconnected and I never got close to the 5G limit. I still think the numbers are padded some since we don't stream anything, don't play games & watch few videos but still go over 8 Gig. GRRR. That might drop off considerably once we find our new-to-us Ventana!

A big thumbs up on Verizon's coverage and the Jetpack.
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2014, 03:37 PM   #13
In the ether...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elf View Post
We've also been using Verizon through Millenicom for a couple of years now. Just recently upgraded to the new Pantech device. Even with the recent price increase I haven't found a better option.
With the new Pantech device and Verizon, you should be able to get 4G XLTE in select areas. Here is a list of the cities:

Here are Verizon's initial XLTE cities | CrackBerry.com

Verizon link is here:

http://www.verizonwireless.com/wcms/...er/4g-lte.html

There are likely more by now.

XLTE can provide up to approximately 70mbs download speeds.

Scott

Tags
verizon