Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Having become fully dissatisfied with marginal WiFi systems, I switched. After getting the router set up and the USB card authorized I am super happy with the speed and reliability. I even dropped the home DSL service...do not need it with the great coverage Verizon provides.

I like the router as it provides a LAN connection to a separate desk top computer and a secure WiFi connection to my laptop. I have the router set to hide the SSID and use WPA security...seems very secure.

The USB727 was free after a rebate, the router was discounted and a $25 rebate coupon provided, plus Verizon refunded the activation fee...it was difficult to turn down...a perfect setup for an RV.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2009, 11:38 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I've had the same setup for two years and am very happy with it.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:40 AM   #3

Is there a network hub/router that can be connected to the USB 727 that would provide WiFi to the laptop and connection to our network enabled printer?
Outbumn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 03:47 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally posted by Outbumn:
Is there a network hub/router that can be connected to the USB 727 that would provide WiFi to the laptop and connection to our network enabled printer?
The MBR 1000 has both Wifi and a 4 port ethernet switch built in.

joe
Old 02-22-2009, 03:53 AM   #5

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
The Cradlepoint CTR350 is the one I use. I think it will do the job for you. There are other models that cost more $$, but this one gets it done nicely and it is quite compact...a little larger than a deck of cards.

You can compare devices HERE This store has very good "before the sale" tech support.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:38 AM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I too use the CTR350 along with a UM150 modem on Verizon's network. I really like the setup. We winter near the gulf coast of Texas north of Rockport. We are near an airport which means the cell towers are restricted on height and that means the signal isn't too good. Our phones were constantly dropping out and the internet either didn't work at all or was so slow it was worthless.

I tried an external Wilson Trucker antenna but it made little difference. After hearing about it on IRV2 and a bit of research I took a gamble and purchased a SOHO kit from PowerfulSignal.com. It consists of a Wilson Dual Amplifier, an indoor and outdoor antenna and cable between each. Separation is important, you can't have the indoor and outdoor antenna's too close together. After a little troubleshooting and experimenting with antenna location this setup did the trick.

Here's some pictures of our system.

The Wilson Antenna mounted high at the back of the motorhome.

This is the Wilson Dual Amplifier. It transmits/receives the signal on the outdoor antenna and then retransmits/receives it on the indoor antenna.

This is the indoor Panel Antenna that retransmits inside the RV, also receives the signals and sends it to the amp for retransmitting on the outside antenna.

This of course is the CTR350 with the UM150 plugged into it.

It may not show up in the photo but without the amplifier all I could get was one light on the UM150, and that was using the outdoor Wilson antenna. With the amplifier and antenna's it consistently gets three and sometimes four lights.

And the good part is it not only works with the data network (internet) it does the same thing when you use your cell phone for voice. The bars on our cell phone mostly show full bars compared to one or none before.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:04 AM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Bob it looks like you found a great solution. I'll keep your hook up in mind as I go forward. I have not had a signal problem yet, but when I do this will be helpful.

One question just how close can the antennas be? Is there a preferred distance?
Old 02-24-2009, 02:34 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Without looking at the instructions, (there put away somewhere), I believe it said 20-feet. Which isn't too much of a problem in a motorhome.

Keep in mind this more or less means from the outside antenna, which is typically high up on the moho to where the indoor antenna is, considering both horizontal and vertical distance there should be at least 20 feet of separation. In my case the only decent place I found to mount the indoor ant was on the flat surface under the dash facing to the rear, i.e., passenger side kickpanel. The outside ant is mounted on the far back end and about 8-feet above the roof. I tried angling the indoor ant up slightly thinking it would spread the signal better inside, but this didn't work. Even though I had this separation angling the indoor antenna up it caused the amp to go into saturation which turns itself off. Once I positioned the indoor ant so it was flat on the vertical surface it worked fine.

I also had to use an additional extension rf cable due to the separation distance because I wanted to route the cable outside the living area. The extension was 10-feet. They said 10-feet was probably pushing it abit. Because coax losses at these frequencies really go up a lot based on distance. But it worked okay for me.

Oh, and by the way, it even works outside better. We can sit on the patio with a good strong signal.
Bob (WA0MQE) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 06:06 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
The CTR-350 has one ethernet jack on it you could use for the network enabled printer.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 01:19 PM   #10

Missed the delivery of my CTR-350 today. Will checkout connecting it to our network printer Monday.
Old 03-09-2009, 03:29 PM   #11

Got my router, and it works get here at home. Will try it in the RV this weekend.
Old 03-09-2009, 04:55 PM   #12

We have now taking on the Cradlepoint line of routers so if anyone has questions about this product please feel free to post here. We are still learning the ins and outs of the various units but if I don't know the answer I will work to find it!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 03:06 AM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Will the routers work with an apple laptop and an apple desk model. I have the USB modem from Verizon. It works great in the Apple Laptop on the road. I am thinking of just using that when home.
Old 04-01-2009, 08:50 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPS 34 View Post
Will the routers work with an apple laptop and an apple desk model. I have the USB modem from Verizon. It works great in the Apple Laptop on the road. I am thinking of just using that when home.
Your computer doesn't really have anything to do with the Cradlepoint. You plug your USB modem into the Cradlepoint and this establishes the internet connection. You then just access the Cradlepoint's wireless network with your Mac just the way you would any wireless network. Assuming you have a fairly new USB modem there should not be any issues with compatibility but you can check here:
http://www.cellular5.com/ctr350compatibility.html
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote