Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-05-2022, 05:28 PM   #1

Victron BMV 712 Disappointment, recommendations?

I have 2 Victron 712's, one on a 12VDC system, and one for 48VDC. (needless to say, I have 2 separate systems in my RV. I also have a Victron 48V MPPT Charge controller.

The 12V 712 started reading incorrect voltage a couple months ago, showing 7 VDC +/-. It is set to read starter voltage also, and it is also incorrect. reading 7 volts also. With a voltmeter, both voltages are fine, 13.5 volts. I thought I probably had a bad ground on my shunt, or whatever. No. Ground is fine, fuse is fine, etc.

A few days ago, my 48V 712 started reading .4 volts, (52VDC +/- on a voltmeter). It is set up to read temperature as the 2nd measurement, and it is reading - (nothing) on the temperature. It still seems correct with state of charge readings, showing correct charge/discharge current.

My charge controller is reading fine, showing correct charge and battery voltages and currents.

I'm about ready to give up on Victron. The BMV's are both about 3 years old. The Victron community is little/no help. I'm thinking of going with smart shunts on the battery monitors (since I don't use the display's generally), but hate to go with Victron. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I went with Victron everything, years ago, thinking they were the best solution. I'm really disappointed with the way things have turned out.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-06-2022, 06:43 AM   #2

BMV-712

You may just need a software update. My system is set to ask if I want a software update. You just need to be somewhere with decent phone or wifi connectivity. You might also check the Victron website for updates.

Good luck.
2023 Coach House 271XLFR on order
Terraboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:53 AM   #3

I have been using the BMV monitors for decades and have been extremely pleased with every one I have used. I suggest you contact Victron support. They have always been more than helpful. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 07:56 AM   #4

This is what I use.

https://www.thornwave.com/products/p...ted-500a-shunt

No dedicated monitor, uses an app. Bluetooth is strong enough to use from within the coach.
Old 10-06-2022, 10:33 AM   #5

Have you changed the small 100ma fuses in the sense lines recently?

I blew one on accident awhile back and bought new fuses from Amazon and the voltage reading was different than before.

Turns out the new fuse had a resistance of around 30 ohms across it and that was enough to drop some voltage across it and cause the reading to be wrong.
Old 10-06-2022, 02:02 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
I just installed a BMV712 monitor and got really frustrated trying it to work via bluetooth. Tried multiple times on my phone, latptop and tablet. I could get my tablet and laptop to recognize the BMV712 using Bluetooth but could not get anything to work using the APP.
I contacted Victron via email since they do not provide any phone numbers. The email was to sales, they in turn put in contact with a Tech guy who was not much help.

Just about to throw in the towel but I uninstalled the app on my phone and reloaded it and tried ONE more time and it worked. So one out of three devices worked >>> better then nothing but nothing to brag about.

Last week when I was on a trip I had a couple instances when the phone wouldn't connect to the monitor, had to shut the phone down and restart for it work.

So for now I won't be recommending the BMV712 to anyone until I'm satisfied it works.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2022, 05:07 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacwjames View Post
I just installed a BMV712 monitor and got really frustrated trying it to work via bluetooth. Tried multiple times on my phone, latptop and tablet. I could get my tablet and laptop to recognize the BMV712 using Bluetooth but could not get anything to work using the APP.
I contacted Victron via email since they do not provide any phone numbers. The email was to sales, they in turn put in contact with a Tech guy who was not much help.

Just about to throw in the towel but I uninstalled the app on my phone and reloaded it and tried ONE more time and it worked. So one out of three devices worked >>> better then nothing but nothing to brag about.

Last week when I was on a trip I had a couple instances when the phone wouldn't connect to the monitor, had to shut the phone down and restart for it work.

So for now I won't be recommending the BMV712 to anyone until I'm satisfied it works.

Hmmm I’ve never had any problems with mine and Ive installed at least 2 for others including one just yesterday and it and all the other Victron stuff I’ve installed worked perfectly.

Im on iphone, are you running android? If so maybe thats the issue?
Old 10-06-2022, 05:26 PM   #8

With the two 712's dying in similar fashions within your system, I'd suspect there's something else in your system causing it. Too much of a coincidence otherwise.

So I'd start looking elsewhere. Some factor shared somehow between the two.

(Did you find the Victron user forums? I've been impressed at the depth of knowledge there.)

https://community.victronenergy.com/index.html

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 01:29 PM   #9

I appreciate all the reply's.
>Software has all been updated prior to problems.
>Fuses were replaced with 1 amp a few months ago, recommended by Victron Community. Both are good.
>I wouldn't mind changing brands, but I would need to run 2 apps since the Victron charge controller is fine.
>The problems started at different times, so a common cause is possible, but not likely (IMO)
>I am unable to find any customer service, besides the 'community'. They say to contact your dealer. I'm nowhere close to my dealer. Very disappointing.

A plus to having 2 identical units, I started interchanging parts. The 48v system had a bad RJ11 cable, I suspect it is a rodent chew, or was damaged when the refrigerator was replaced. By hooking directly to the shunt, with a spare 7' cable, all solved. I don't use the monitor inside, so leaving the monitor/bluetooth unit near the shunt, is fine.

The 12v shunt worked fine with the 48v monitor, voltages and currents were all perfect. The display unit itself is bad, plugging it back in, voltages are still wrong. I did a factory reset...no help. I guess I will order a smart shunt, since I don't use the monitor inself, only the bluetooth. The lack of customer service really bothers me, I guess when you buy something that is based in the Netherlands, buyer beware. I hate to give Victron more money, but that seems to be the cheapest route.

Thanks again to all of you, for the advice!!!
Old 10-07-2022, 02:00 PM   #10

While you may not be close to your dealer, I'm sure they have a telephone. A call might help. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2022, 02:36 PM   #11

Just be aware, regarding the Smart Shunt, that people have noted a very short range for the Bluetooth transmission.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is offline   Reply With Quote