Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2011, 03:31 PM   #1

Video control center

I just purchased a Quest Video Control Center Model QS53D. I bought it to replace the original control center as I replaced the the CRT TV and DVD player, and didn't want to keep the AB switch. I have hooked it up every possible. I cannot get the DVD player to play through the control center to the TV. Does anyone have any ideas on how to hook it up. I contacted Quest and they couldn't help, other than to replace the unit.
badge2283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 05:22 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Badge2283 I see two ways to get the DVD up and running. One choice on the DVD plug the audio/video cables into the red-white-yellow output of the DVD then plug the other ends into the same colors (upper row) of your switch. Then from the switch plug another set of A/V cables into the DVD output (lower row) of the switch and other ends into the video inputs of the TV. Make sure you switch the TV to the proper video input for viewing.

If that fails you you can run a 75ohm (regular TV coax) cable from the output of the DVD to the Aux input of the switch, this should allow all TVs to see the DVD. Be sure to switch the TV tuner to the output channel selected on your DVD.

Good luck.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply. I won't get to work on it again until next week. The DVD player doesn't have a coax connector. I'm going to try what you said, if all options fail, I'll hook it up through an A/B switch.
Again thanks for the help.
Old 09-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by badge2283 View Post
I just purchased a Quest Video Control Center Model QS53D. I bought it to replace the original control center as I replaced the the CRT TV and DVD player, and didn't want to keep the AB switch. I have hooked it up every possible. I cannot get the DVD player to play through the control center to the TV. Does anyone have any ideas on how to hook it up. I contacted Quest and they couldn't help, other than to replace the unit.
The QS53D has a built in video modulator to convert the DVD composite signal to to RF so that all the TV's can display it. It should work.

Some things to check:
1. Is the DVD output (yellow, red, white) connected to the QS53D input for the DVD.
2. Is power supplied to the QS53D? It needs 12vdc to run the video modulator. This can come from 12vdc from the RV, or from a 120vac to 12vdc converter (wall wart).
3. Is the power turned on? A button on the front of the QS53D.

Other trouble shooting: Check that the DVD composite output is working. You could use the TV composite inputs to check this. Also could try plugging the VCR composite outputs into the QS53D DVD inputs.

If none of this works, take them up on the offer to replace it.
alvinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #5

Thank you. I had not hooked up the 12V, the antenna already has power to it so I didn't want to add an other 12Vs to it. Do I have to bypass the coach 12V supply?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:28 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Thank you. I had not hooked up the 12V, the antenna already has power to it so I didn't want to add an other 12Vs to it. Do I have to bypass the coach 12V supply?
If there is 12vdc power to the antenna that is likely for a switchable signal amplifier. If so there should be no power on the RF line from the antenna.

The QS53D is not a passive switcher and needs power to be able to operate the video modulator.

You will have to assess your situation to determine how to power the QS53D. Do it come with a wall wart or cigarette lighter cord?
Old 09-08-2011, 02:45 PM   #7

I'm sorry, I don't have any idea what I have. There is a factory wall switch that says antenna power, and it is either on or off. With it it in the on position I have better TV reception. As for the power cord to the QS53D, it is a two wire plug (looks like a small CB radio power cord) that plugs into the back of the QS53D. I hope all that makes sense.
Thanks for the help.
Old 09-08-2011, 05:38 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
I'm sorry, I don't have any idea what I have. There is a factory wall switch that says antenna power, and it is either on or off. With it it in the on position I have better TV reception. As for the power cord to the QS53D, it is a two wire plug (looks like a small CB radio power cord) that plugs into the back of the QS53D. I hope all that makes sense.
Thanks for the help.
The wall switch is definitely to turn the antenna amplifier on and off.

The cord that plugs into the back of the QS53D for power; what type of plug is on the other end.

We need to get power to the QS53D.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:58 AM   #9

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Just curious.
Since you have a new TV - the ones I have seen have multiple inputs, so why not just connect your DVD and any other accessories to the TV and use the TV remote to switch to the desired input?
Old 09-12-2011, 10:10 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay L View Post
Just curious.
Since you have a new TV - the ones I have seen have multiple inputs, so why not just connect your DVD and any other accessories to the TV and use the TV remote to switch to the desired input?
This is actually the preferred method, in my mind, for the front TV. However, the rear TV only has a RF signal from the front and cannot control this selection. The video control center does this and contains the video modulator to convert the composite input to RF for devices that don't generate RF.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:03 AM   #11

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by alvinc View Post
This is actually the preferred method, in my mind, for the front TV. However, the rear TV only has a RF signal from the front and cannot control this selection. The video control center does this and contains the video modulator to convert the composite input to RF for devices that don't generate RF.
Ah - It makes sense now. We have a wireless printer where the rear TV goes and I am always forgetting to include it in my thinking.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:42 PM   #12

hello Alvin

First time here and from gresham. I saw your posts regarding Video control center. I am new owner of a 1999 Tioga class C - - 29'. There were no instructions included. It still had old tube TV, and it is gone. Now have new 12" flat screen. The VCR is still there but I am adding a DVD. I have a ""converter box"" and TV works with that and rabbit ears. I hooked up to RV antennae and it says no signal. Do you have any advice and maybe an instruction manual ???? Thanks,,,,,,,,,,,,Larry
mrgarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2011, 10:16 AM   #13

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
You know the box eats 12vdc right, It has to have 12 volts and it has to be turned on.

on the back are two sets of RCA connectors, The bottom set is labeled DVD OUTPUT
to me this sounds like the jacks you would connect the DVD player to but knowing how people label things.. I'm guessing you hook the DVD player to the TOP set of jacks.

The bottom set is DVD out to the Television's DVD in (Main TV should be close to the switch) if it has them.

Try it that way and see what happens.
Old 09-18-2011, 01:22 PM   #14

Got it! It's done.

Finnally it's done. I spent a few hours working on it yesterday. I took the old AV control box out I connected the cable line into the box. I then connected the RCA cable from the DVD player to the DVD In on the new control box, then I connected another RCA cable from the DVD Out on the control box to the front TV. The I unconnected the antenna coax from the antenna that went into the amplifier and put it into the new control box. Then I the removed 12V supply from the amplifier and pluged it into the control box. Now everything works perfect.
Thank you to everyone who helped with their replies.
My wife was impressed that a group of people who don't know each other could come together on a forum and solve our problem.
Again, thanks!