RV News RVBusiness 2021 Top 10 RVs of the Year, plus 56 additional debuts and must-see units → ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2014, 01:18 PM   #1

Country Coach Owners Club
Video distribution control box for HDMI

Recently purchased a 10 year old motor coach. I'm trying to update the electronics with a new smart TV, DVD player, etc. all the new electronics use HDMI and/or USB connections. The Winegard control box, model VS-0604-6412 only accommodates coaxial cables. Does anyone out there make a newer control box? Winegard says they no longer make boxes and referred me to Quest Technologies. Quest says they will have a unit to market by 2015. Sorry my wife won't wait that long for me to upgrade the system.
KiheiKen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2014, 01:58 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
For both cables and switch boxes I would suggest using Monoprice.
Old 04-03-2014, 02:00 PM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
Yeah, you've got to skip the old box, run new HDMI cables, and either an HDMI splitter or a matrix switch, depending on how many sources and destinations you want to use.

Probably one of these: HDMI Matrix Switch and Splitters - Monoprice.com
Old 04-03-2014, 08:11 PM   #4

It sounds like the old style Winegard controller box with a dozen buttons is a relic then? If I go with DirecTV since I already have a box at home I could use it sounds like I could just plug all my electronic accessories into that. Pretty much similar to a house install only the RV is mobile. Am I missing something?
Old 04-03-2014, 08:29 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your DirecTV box wouldn't be able to direct the signal coming from a BluRay/DVD Player or Antenna to your TV /TVs. In other words if you are going to have anything running to the TV aside from the DirecTV box you would need either run everything into an AV Receiver or a switch box and then select what device input you want directed to the TV. The only alternative to this is to run an HDMI cable from each device to the TV and select the input on the TV. This will work great if the TV is close to all of your devices and would be a very good option. IF your TV is a distance away then you would have a bunch of HDMI cables to run and that could be a messy proposition. If you have multiple TVs then a switch box is really the best way to go.
I hope this makes sense but just ask if I am being confusing.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:38 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by KiheiKen View Post
It sounds like the old style Winegard controller box with a dozen buttons is a relic then? If I go with DirecTV since I already have a box at home I could use it sounds like I could just plug all my electronic accessories into that. Pretty much similar to a house install only the RV is mobile. Am I missing something?
Yes, that BOMB is a relic, if you want HD. They were only usable for SD when distributing the content via RF signals.

Yes, it's similar to a home setup, but no you can't plug other things into the DirecTV receiver (as already noted).
Old 04-03-2014, 08:55 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDiver View Post
Yes, that BOMB is a relic, if you want HD. They were only usable for SD when distributing the content via RF signals.

Yes, it's similar to a home setup, but no you can't plug other things into the DirecTV receiver (as already noted).
BOMB will pass HDTV from Over-the -air OTA signals from the TV antenna, but nothing else.

For all other HD signals a HDMI switcher is required from other sources.
Pusherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 08:57 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pusherman View Post
BOMB will pass HDTV from Over-the -air OTA signals from the TV antenna, but nothing else.

For all other HD signals a HDMI switcher is required from other sources.
Yeah, sorta. It's routing an RF signal, not an HD video signal. And if the only RF you're dealing with is the OTA (or cable) signal, there's no point in using the BOMB at all. It's just another point of failure, as well as a signal loss (compared to a straight wire or simple splitter). However, many of them do provide the power to the OTA antenna booster, so that needs to be addressed if removing the BOMB.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:23 PM   #9

Actually it makes lots of sense. The TV, DVD, and Bose are all in the front upper cabinet over the windshield. The only issue is if I can't convince my wife to forego the TV in the bedroom. We don't watch TV in our home bedroom now so can't see why things would be different in the RV. Wondering if taking it to a place like the Best Buy installation shop if they could resolve for me.
Old 04-03-2014, 09:29 PM   #10

To distribute HD via coax you could use the Genie (DirecTV) or the Hopper (DISH).

However, the only HDMI substitute for the old RF video control center would be an AV receiver with multiple HDMI inputs.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote