Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2021, 08:12 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Visible for RV internet?

Saw a few videos about Visible, who is using Visible for RV internet? How is it working out for you in real life? What are you doing to get the best speeds and connections? Would you recommend it?
dkrobath is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2021, 08:37 PM   #2

My Visible just works every time I use it, it's a fine deal for $25 a month. The download speeds are up and down all the time, but I quit checking the speed and just use the service.

Would I rely on it for my only internet service? No
Old 05-20-2021, 10:34 PM   #3

Visible essentially sells leftover (low priority) data capacity on Verizon at a discount price. On an underutilized tower you may not see any speed difference than a native Verizon customer and on a busy tower speeds can slow to the point of uselessness, and everything in-between. This leads to the Jekyll-Hyde user reports of great/terrible service, and they are not mutually exclusive. In my experience speeds were not great, but as above were OK as long as you weren't doing constant speed tests and just used the service. I found that most of the time service was acceptable but occasionally (too often for me unfortunately) speeds were unacceptably slow.

My view would be that if you want a deal and can tolerate some periods of poor service quality (not that many really, most of the time it's fine) then it can be a great deal. But if you need reliable service for work or other critical purposes then you will need a backup plan on another carrier (which kind of negates the price advantage.) Basically it costs only $25 to find out if it will work for you, so why not give it a try at least.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:14 AM   #4

We use Visable. Pretty good speeds normally. If you find yourself in a place where Verizon towers are spaced far apart or if you are using a tower that has a lot of use you will not get the best speeds or connections. Having said that we don’t rely on Visible for work or employment so we get by just fine.
Funengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 08:35 AM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Lots of helpful information in the following long running thread. Start with post #10 for the basics.
https://www.irv2.com/forums/f53/40-m...ed-442091.html
BobGed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:06 AM   #6

I have had Visible for two years and have had no problems. It is my only phone and internet connection.
Tom_M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2021, 10:25 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have Visible, the AT&T Mobley and T-Mobile. I have found where Visible is real slow AT&T is fine and Vice versa. T-Mobile I have found to be very spotty.

I just returned from a trip out west. Visible and AT&T both worked well in Las Vegas and Casa Grande where we spent 3 weeks.

We spent 2 weeks in Monterey, CA and neither Visible or AT&T worked where we were parked. I bought the T-Mobile Hotspot 100 GB for $50 and it worked extremely well. Funny thing was I had a very good signal and speed on the Verizon network when I was in the T-Mobile store.

Only T-Mobile worked reliably as we went across Nevada on I-80.

In Wyoming the Visible worked well in Rock Springs. In Spearfish, SD the Visible worked well.

I think for $25/mo it is worth having
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 07:36 PM   #8

Another thing to consider is that Visible only works on the Verizon LTE network. No roaming, no 3G/2G, even on Verizon.
Old 05-22-2021, 08:02 PM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have Visible in the coach for internet and a Verizon phone for talking. In most cases where my Verizon has been good, I'm able to stream TV on the Visible.
tlkhorses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 08:56 PM   #10

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiller View Post
Visible essentially sells leftover (low priority) data capacity on Verizon at a discount price. On an underutilized tower you may not see any speed difference than a native Verizon customer and on a busy tower speeds can slow to the point of uselessness, and everything in-between. This leads to the Jekyll-Hyde user reports of great/terrible service, and they are not mutually exclusive. In my experience speeds were not great, but as above were OK as long as you weren't doing constant speed tests and just used the service. I found that most of the time service was acceptable but occasionally (too often for me unfortunately) speeds were unacceptably slow.

My view would be that if you want a deal and can tolerate some periods of poor service quality (not that many really, most of the time it's fine) then it can be a great deal. But if you need reliable service for work or other critical purposes then you will need a backup plan on another carrier (which kind of negates the price advantage.) Basically it costs only $25 to find out if it will work for you, so why not give it a try at least.
Do you have Visible yourself or is this what you have heard?
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2021, 09:16 PM   #11

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I have Visible, the AT&T Mobley and T-Mobile. I have found where Visible is real slow AT&T is fine and Vice versa. T-Mobile I have found to be very spotty.

I just returned from a trip out west. Visible and AT&T both worked well in Las Vegas and Casa Grande where we spent 3 weeks.

We spent 2 weeks in Monterey, CA and neither Visible or AT&T worked where we were parked. I bought the T-Mobile Hotspot 100 GB for $50 and it worked extremely well. Funny thing was I had a very good signal and speed on the Verizon network when I was in the T-Mobile store.

Only T-Mobile worked reliably as we went across Nevada on I-80.

In Wyoming the Visible worked well in Rock Springs. In Spearfish, SD the Visible worked well.

I think for $25/mo it is worth having
I have had similar experience(s). We too have a Mobley plan running in a Netgear Night Hawk with a Mobile Mark MIMO antenna mounted on the roof of our Class A and it is definitely our primary internet service.

We have Visible as a backup as well as a second phone number for personal reasons as both numbers are available on my iPhone 11. There have been a few instances where Visible has had better speed than AT&T but most of the time has a better signal and is faster.

We are also beta testing a StarLink system right now and as soon as they have their mobile system worked out I see that becoming our primary with the Mobley as a backup. Starlink speeds are pretty amazing at 250-300Mb downloads.....
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2021, 02:16 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul65k View Post
Do you have Visible yourself or is this what you have heard?
I used Visible for about a year and a half and those were my experiences.
smiller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
internet