Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
This is a preliminary report as I just got the PC-card today, and this is its first real 'test-drive'.

The card is currently being used in a wireless mode with the D-Link DIR-450 router successfully. I previously had the Verizon (VZ) KPC-650 pc-card in the router for almost 2 years and was very happy with its performance (with the exception of the occasional dropout) but wanted/needed the additional speed of the RevA technology.

It worked first-off in the PCMCIA slot in my laptop with a noticeable boost in speed, so I was encouraged to try it in the router. However, the KPC-650 has been a mainstay and I was a bit reluctant to dump it and try the new card. My fears were well-founded when I saw that the card wasn't supported in my router's current firmware version, so I downloaded the new version and installed it. To my chagrin, the PC5750 still wasn't supported! I did find the PC5740 but it wouldn't work. Bummer.

However, remembering that the VZ PC5750 is the same as the Sprint version, I selected that in the little pull-down menu and crossed my fingers... it worked!

Using it in either the router or the standalone (with laptop) modes, data rates seem to be quite a bit faster than before, but I haven't had the pc-card in use long enough to be able to make detailed tests or to tell about the drop-out rate. Right now, I just got 915k down/161k up/141ms latency in Dallas (using speedtest.net).

And that's where I am now. So far, so good.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
This is a preliminary report as I just got the PC-card today, and this is its first real 'test-drive'.

The card is currently being used in a wireless mode with the D-Link DIR-450 router successfully. I previously had the Verizon (VZ) KPC-650 pc-card in the router for almost 2 years and was very happy with its performance (with the exception of the occasional dropout) but wanted/needed the additional speed of the RevA technology.

It worked first-off in the PCMCIA slot in my laptop with a noticeable boost in speed, so I was encouraged to try it in the router. However, the KPC-650 has been a mainstay and I was a bit reluctant to dump it and try the new card. My fears were well-founded when I saw that the card wasn't supported in my router's current firmware version, so I downloaded the new version and installed it. To my chagrin, the PC5750 still wasn't supported! I did find the PC5740 but it wouldn't work. Bummer.

However, remembering that the VZ PC5750 is the same as the Sprint version, I selected that in the little pull-down menu and crossed my fingers... it worked!

Using it in either the router or the standalone (with laptop) modes, data rates seem to be quite a bit faster than before, but I haven't had the pc-card in use long enough to be able to make detailed tests or to tell about the drop-out rate. Right now, I just got 915k down/161k up/141ms latency in Dallas (using speedtest.net).

And that's where I am now. So far, so good.

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:09 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sounds great. I'm using a Sierra AC595 on Verizon, upgraded from a KPC650. Also using a Dlink DIR-450. Downside? After a few hours of being installed in the dir-450 the AirCard crashes and the router freezes. I've flashed to the 1.02 firmware with the same result. I'm hoping that someone else at Dlink has the same issue and finds a cure soon. The card is now back in laptop and only one of us can work at a time and I'm not able to use my Vonage VIOP phone. Hopefully a cure comes soon.
Rick 2005 Dolphin 5376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2007, 01:15 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Hi -

This is an update to my earlier report.

We just completed 2 full days of travel, some bigger towns/cities but mostly flat (as in ____________ flat) open prairie-land across our Heartland. The PC5750 card was stuck in the DIR-450 and I was 'monitoring' it from the laptop at the driver-station. No dropouts at all, that I could tell. Much better even than the KPC-650 card, I think.

More later.
Ron

Old 07-29-2007, 03:05 AM   #5

I've been using a Sprint Pantech PX-500 aircard for about 3 months both traveling and at work( long days on a 24hr shift) and has been great. The wife grumbled about not having internet/email while traveling, so I bought a Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router. It comes with a 12v adapter, I plugged the card in and plugged the router in and internet was availible. The router was easy to setup for security issues also. After a couple of trips, it has become a great tool. The wife has made campground reservation while rolling down the highway, found the next Walmart, and sent pictures to the grandparents( a little slow). It is well worth the money for both the Sprint card and the Kyocera KR1 Mobile Router.
shyattmedic is offline   Reply With Quote