Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-30-2017, 11:09 AM   #1

We have a short in the wire connecting the TV antenna to the switch

We have a 2012 Winnebago 30A Sightseer. It has a King Jack TV antenna connected to a switch that switches the TVS from broadcast to cable.

This past fall, the antenna signal stopped. After changing the switch and chatting with King Jack tech support, we discovered that the problem appears to be in one of the two wires that connect the antenna to the switch. We really don't want to run a wire across the roof, does anyone know if it's possible to pull a new coax wire through the ceiling? Any other ideas on how we might fix it?
MrsChilerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-30-2017, 11:20 AM   #2

I would think that it's the wires IN the antenna unit, not your wires running from your switch to to antenna... we had a similar problem due to the 'rotation' of this type of unit...

my rotator knob is right below where the King Jack is mounted on the roof - it took off this knob, and the ceiling cover plate, to reveal the inner wiring. One of the wires had been 'frayed' due to the turning of the antenna.
If you have a wire that is actually broken or disconnected, then you may have to also remove the antenna from the roof to access all the wire connections...

I would doubt you'd need to run any coax through your roof to your switch since it's doubtful that it is the issue...
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Had same problem. It is the small diameter coax wires up in the antenna. Turning antenna eventually breaks the wire internally. New coax wires probably will fix it. I put in a Wingard batwing in. Permanently fixed now.
King in too close to roof for remote areas.
Old 01-30-2017, 04:39 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
My antenna cable broke where it passes through the roof. It actually passes through the antenna fixture thats mounted on the roof.

I didn't replace the entire coax, only from the antenna to the ceiling where the crank is.

Here is a short write-up I did on how I was able to fish the cable and then splice it into the old cable inside the MH.

Replace roof top antenna coax cable | 2001 Coachmen Mirada 300QB

Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 04:57 PM   #5
Community Moderator

the yellow thin cable inside the jack is prone to problems. i replaced it once. take it off you will see it.

as above said, it's not the coaxial cable self. it will never fail (ok, never say never... highly unlikely). jack tech pointed the finger wrong.
CountryFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2017, 05:50 PM   #6

Ok, thanks to everyone. We will double check all of those things, hope that's the problem. I'll report back when we're done.
Old 03-29-2017, 03:09 PM   #7

Ok, so we looked at fixing the antenna from the roof side, removing it from there looks like more than we want to tackle, so we looked from the inside. We have no access to the wiring from the inside. They just cut enough of the insulation away for the rotation knob to come through. I checked and if I cut the hole bigger, there is still a mounting plate between the cover plate and the wiring we would have to destroy. Not sure what to do at this point.
Old 03-29-2017, 11:21 PM   #8
Community Moderator

you need to work on roof, not under. 3 or 4 screws hold the fan plate (head) to the trunk. lie on your back you will see them. once the head is off, the rest is easy.
Old 03-30-2017, 05:08 PM   #9

According to the drawing I have, all of the connections are in the base of the antenna. Does the entire thing come apart once the head is off?
Old 03-30-2017, 11:20 PM   #10
Community Moderator

once head is off, the trunk is just a shell it will come off. instantly the bottom is right in front of you. i have done it, listen to me you will be good.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:46 PM   #11

Ok, thanks we'll try that once the wind forecasts are gone here in the desert

Tags
antenna, switch