Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2015, 06:37 AM   #29

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximum Signal View Post
Just remember the key is antenna separation and not letting the system go into Oscillation. If that happens you may find reps from the FCC or one of the carriers at your door . They will not be happy that you are using a unit deemed for a stationary structure in an RV. End user fine now for improper use of equipment or unlicensed equipment is up to $10,000.00 . So be careful or it will cost you.
I must respectfully disagree with your assessment of "Oscillation". The unit is in overload, transmit to receive power, and will go into a self protect mode and shut down.

The FCC will get involved when one puts up a good installation and then becomes mobile. Because the WeBoost 4G has a potential 60db of gain it is not legal for mobile service. The FCC cutoff power is mandated at 50db. The 4G brand we are discussing is shipped with the directional flat outdoor antenna, which helps to discourage a successful mobile operation but may not, under certain conditions, totally discourage the unit from connecting to a tower when powered up in motion.

In summery, if someone is looking to boost their mobile cell signal they need to buy and install their equipment accordingly. The WeBoost 4G amplifier is not in this category.

Happy chatty trails,

Rick Y
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2015, 01:19 PM   #30

I just ordered a Wilson Signal Booster 4G Extreme RV Kit. Should be in next week. Did I just order something that is already out of date?
Old 09-09-2015, 01:47 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatgrimguy View Post
I just ordered a Wilson Signal Booster 4G Extreme RV Kit. Should be in next week. Did I just order something that is already out of date?
Depends in your intended use. WeBoost states you are not allowed to us it while RV is in motion . And also you have to re aim directional antenna every time you move. So if you can live with those restrictions . You are fine.
Maximum Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 11:04 PM   #32

Winnebago Owners Club
I just got the WeBoost Home 4G today. I did a temporary setup. I stuck the outside antenna to the back of the coach after cleaning a small area, connected 1 30' cable and spooled it out, then added the second 30' cable to reach my door and pulled enough into the coach to reach the amplifier I had placed on the passengers seat. I connected the indoor desk style antenna and plugged in the power supply. Instantly I had all 4 lights green. I walked around the inside of the coach and my signal strength was increased by 2 to 3 bars. I had a better signal all the way into the bedroom!

Without doing any special signal hunting with the outside antenna, I am pleased with the results. When I get the chance I will locate a good entrance spot for the coax to enter the coach to eliminate the door potential problems.

The up side to this kit over the RV 4G is the amount of cable supplied with it and the ~$50 savings. I'll post pictures when I do a more permanent install.

Rick Y
Old 09-20-2015, 09:29 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Hey Rick: How is the install going on your WeBoost 4G? I assume you have the 4G-M model and not the 4G-X model. I'm about at the point where I need to place my order for "something." We will be leaving the Denver area in just a few weeks.

• Where did you position the outside antenna?
• Where did you position the inside antenna?
• What is the max distance from the inside antenna to the phone/Jetpack?

I greatly appreciate the report. Many Thanks!

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Bumps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2015, 09:35 AM   #34

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Hey Rick: How is the install going on your WeBoost 4G? I assume you have the 4G-M model and not the 4G-X model. I'm about at the point where I need to place my order for "something." We will be leaving the Denver area in just a few weeks.

• Where did you position the outside antenna?
• Where did you position the inside antenna?
• What is the max distance from the inside antenna to the phone/Jetpack?

I greatly appreciate the report. Many Thanks!

\ken
Good morning Ken and all.

Good questions buddy. Weboost (Wilson) has two new amps. Actually, the kits are different but the amps are the same except for the case color. The RV version is RV 4G and the stick & brick one is Home 4G. As usual, Wilson tends to produce products with names that cause more confusion than id the highlights of the product.

The new RV system is available ONLY through CW (UGH ) at the moment. The new 4G system is good for all major carriers, is LTE friendly and has a 60db gain back to the tower. The 60db gain is what excludes this, by FCC rules, from being a mobile solution. The regulation for mobile cell amps is limited to 50db while moving. So, with the RV solution it is a temporary mounting solution, to be tucked away when we move to the next camping location.

The cautions for antenna location separation is still as many of the other units they make: 20' min and point outside antenna away from the inside one.

When I first got the unit, a little over a week ago, I unboxed it, ran the cable out the door, found the best signal with my windows phone, climbed a ladder to mount the antenna box with the provided suction cup option, popped the antenna into the box, attached the cable, attached the other end to the amp, attached the desktop antenna and plugged the amp in.

When this temporary test setup was in place and I had power to the amp I noticed the 4 LED band indicators were very bright. I got my cell phone and noticed I did have a good bar gain, going from 1 to 2 bars to 3 or 4 bars. Not bad. Time to watch TV.

The next morning I looked at the amp and I could not tell that it was on. It was warm but the LEDs looked dead. I unplugged it and waited for a while before plugging it back in. When I did I watched to LEDs closely. Yes, they did come on but very faintly. In the bright morning light they could hardly be seen. What happened over night? Then I checked the cell phone signal. It was still good. I unplugged the amp and the phone signal dropped. Plugged the amp back in and the phone signal increased. The amp is working but the LEDs can't be used as a visual reassurance. I called Wilson about this and the guy I spoke with gave me a bit of a techno babble "this is normal and ok" talk.

The pictures are of my second temporary solution. (No, the coach is not out of level .) The desktop antenna is that little black thing by the magazine. I need to find a better location for the amp. I am thinking of contacting Wilson to see if they have a extension cable for the desktop antenna. I would like to mount the amp in the potable water bay where I have access to a power plug. Another solution would be a DC adapter. What ever the solution, it must be powered down to travel.

Over all I am pleased with the Home 4G in the RV. The 2 30' antenna cables gives me enough location options to avoid violating the 2 antenna's separation requirement and be able to move around the outside of coach to find the best signal. Just a note about the signal strength testing. Many of the Android and Apple phones have a way of becoming a signal strength and direction finder. Wilson provides info for this. Windows phones can't be used in this manner.

Happy trails,

Rick Y
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	antenna.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	290.5 KB
ID:	107521   Click image for larger version

Name:	4G.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	107522  

Click image for larger version

Name:	desk.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	254.0 KB
ID:	107523   Click image for larger version

Name:	in.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	335.5 KB
ID:	107524  

Old 09-22-2015, 08:27 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
That's a great write-up, Rick. Thanks!

We were comparing the [older?] 4G-M and 4G-X to the RV-4G. If we take the cost of the different units out of the decision, the three questions Deb and I need to answer become:

• How important to us is the 20% increase in power that the RV-4G option offers; and,
• How important to us is amplified cell phone service while we are in motion on the highway; and,
• How important to us is an always-ready, semi-permanent antenna mounted on the rear roof of the coach, compared to an antenna that we would need to set-up [at camp] each time in order to use it?

There does not appear to be a [legal] option that allows the 60db gain in an in-motion system, so that is prolly the deciding factor for us. Deb feels that we will need the boosted signal more often than just at end-of day [camp locations]. We would use the boost primarily for Internet access via the JetPack, and secondarily for phones.

Still thinking through this. Thanks again for your great insight!

\ken
Ken, Deb, & Gadget (WIT Club, FMCA, SKP, and grateful volunteers with Habitat for Humanity and SOWERs), traveling in a well-behaved 2005 Winnebago Vectra 40FD w/1100w solar, some gee-golly-whizbang, and a TRAILERED 2015 Cherokee TrailHawk toad.
Old 09-23-2015, 09:55 AM   #36

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
That's a great write-up, Rick. Thanks!

We were comparing the [older?] 4G-M and 4G-X to the RV-4G. If we take the cost of the different units out of the decision, the three questions Deb and I need to answer become:

• How important to us is the 20% increase in power that the RV-4G option offers; and,
• How important to us is amplified cell phone service while we are in motion on the highway; and,
• How important to us is an always-ready, semi-permanent antenna mounted on the rear roof of the coach, compared to an antenna that we would need to set-up [at camp] each time in order to use it?

There does not appear to be a [legal] option that allows the 60db gain in an in-motion system, so that is prolly the deciding factor for us. Deb feels that we will need the boosted signal more often than just at end-of day [camp locations]. We would use the boost primarily for Internet access via the JetPack, and secondarily for phones.

Still thinking through this. Thanks again for your great insight!

\ken
Here are a few facts that will help you:

1// For each 3db of gain the power doubles. So going from 50db to 60db doubles the power to the cell tower 3 times. It is exponential.

2// When traveling along the Interstate network you will have a cell signal most of the time. When in the mountains or vast empty plains it is sketchy at best and no amp will help much for any traveling distance.

3// It is frequent to camp or volunteer in areas where an amp will make all the difference. Having the most powerful amp your budget can afford is the wise choice.

I had an earlier version of a Wilson. I don't recall the model. It worked as good as it was designed for and that was not bad. This new one is designed for the LTE network and is backward compatible. Besides I think it cost less than the old one. (I tried to find the sale price for you but it looks like it is over.)

What ever you choose, make certain the cable is long enough. As I have stated, the 2 30' cables were the choice maker for me. If I want I can still spring for the extra bucks and get a better indoor antenna. At the moment this seems to be working fine. My other possible option is to get a burner phone that I can use as a signal direction finder. This will make placing the antenna a bit quicker when setting up.

Looking forward to your show and tell pictures.

Happy trails,
Rick Y
Old 09-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
...For each 3db of gain the power doubles. So going from 50db to 60db doubles the power to the cell tower 3 times. It is exponential...
We did not realize this. That's significant! That's the factoid that will make the difference for us. We will order the Home 4G kit and follow in your footsteps! WooHoo!

Thanks, Rick!

\ken
Old 09-23-2015, 09:43 PM   #38

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerichorick View Post
1// For each 3db of gain the power doubles. So going from 50db to 60db doubles the power to the cell tower 3 times. It is exponential.

Small correction. It is exponential, but 10dB gain is about 9X power, not 3.

3dB = 2X
6dB = 4X
9dB = 8X

Wireless engineer by trade. [emoji4]
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
unw1red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:20 AM   #39

Winnebago Owners Club
WOW ... Even better! Thanks. \ken
Old 09-24-2015, 07:34 AM   #40

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by unw1red View Post
Small correction. It is exponential, but 10dB gain is about 9X power, not 3.

3dB = 2X
6dB = 4X
9dB = 8X

Wireless engineer by trade. [emoji4]
Last time I did the actual math was around 1964. Thanks for the correction. I just remember the concept more clearly than the math.
Old 09-24-2015, 07:42 AM   #41

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
We did not realize this. That's significant! That's the factoid that will make the difference for us. We will order the Home 4G kit and follow in your footsteps! WooHoo!

Thanks, Rick!

\ken
I just realized during the night that I have the outside antenna pointed 180* from what I thought I was doing. The suction cup mount puts the business end of the antenna against the skin of the coach. That's 2 for me in this thread. Oh well. No mistakes made only happens when nothing is tried.

We are going on a day trip to Crater Lake today so I won't be available to make the correction until tomorrow. I'll post the results. My thought at the moment is to attach a Lexan tab to the suction cup box and mount the back hanger to it. Then the antenna will be pointed in the intended direction.

Rick Y
Old 09-24-2015, 09:14 AM   #42

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Here is the question I have about the booster. I would love a reply from people advocating for different systems. I noticed Jerichorick stated they used (2) 30 foot cables between the antenna and the booster and was going to call wilson about a longer cable between the booster and the indoor antenna. You would want to position the booster as close to the antenna as possible and then have the indoor antenna be on the longer cable. Does neither company have a way to do this ?
gemini5362 is offline   Reply With Quote