Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-05-2019, 08:58 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Weboost Drive vs Drive Reach Question, if you don't mind

I've done a little bit of research on the two offerings and want to make sure I understand before I buy. The difference between the two seems to be the upload speed, faster with the Drive Reach, with the same download speeds.

If this is accurate I can see where those that are doing live blogs while traveling need strong upload speeds but my needs are simply having a strong download speed so I can work from the coach. Am I missing anything? Appreciate any comments
brandss is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2019, 05:32 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandss View Post
I've done a little bit of research on the two offerings and want to make sure I understand before I buy. The difference between the two seems to be the upload speed, faster with the Drive Reach, with the same download speeds.

If this is accurate I can see where those that are doing live blogs while traveling need strong upload speeds but my needs are simply having a strong download speed so I can work from the coach. Am I missing anything? Appreciate any comments
I wonder if your answer might more quickly and easily be found using Google. I googled
Weboost Drive vs Drive Reach
and there were quite a few returns. It sounds like you've probably already done this, however.

That said, have you spoken to anybody at WeBoost?

One thing I'm confused about is that according to one web site
https://powerfulsignal.com/support/p...t-drive-reach/
both devices provide the same amount of gain, 50dB. I don't know enough about this stuff to understand why one would then be better than the other.

FWIW, I have a Wilson 4G booster which, when WeBoost first bought Wilson [edit: I may be confused about that--the installation manual for the Reach says "WeBoost, a Wilson Electronics Brand"], seemed to be pretty much the same product as the WeBoost offering. Anyway, my booster makes all the difference between no connectivity and connectivity, at times. At other times, not so much. I'd rather be with it than without it, that's for sure.

HTH.
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:43 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
With 5G just around the corner, I wonder if today's cellular boosters will work with 4G, 4 LTE and 5G or will we need a new booster for 5G.
Blog: bailey18.com
AllanK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 06:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanK View Post
With 5G just around the corner, I wonder if today's cellular boosters will work with 4G, 4 LTE and 5G or will we need a new booster for 5G.
Good thought. WeBoost is advertising their current boosters are 5G ready. I wonder about my old Wilson. I expect 4G LTE will be supported for some number of years--it will take a good while for 5G to roll out and for people to update their phones.
RussOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 08:25 AM   #5

"Am I missing anything?"

While I'm not going to comment on the question of the two specific boosters' capabilities, you are correct that a similar download speed is what most of us need - that upload speed is for people who need to send off huge files quickly.

So, if you have called out the up-and-down speeds of each correctly, then you've nailed it.

1993 Rockwood 28' Class C - Ford E-350 7.5L
Bobby F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 09:56 AM   #6

In terms of signal frequency, the marketing term '5G' can be associated with anything from 600MHz to 70+GHz. The range of antennas, electronics, propagation characteristics, etc. is dramatic in that range. So when a signal booster company says they are '5G ready' you will have to do your research to see what 5G frequencies your carrier is offering in the area you will be in vs what frequencies your booster is capable of 'boosting'. I just saw that Tmobile turned on their 'flavor' of 5G in the 600MHz band all over the country which is good news for RV'ers because 600MHz propagates much further than and penetrates walls and objects MUCH better than GHz frequencies. (600MHz is in the old UHF TV spectrum) If you look at current coverage maps of other carriers deploying higher frequency '5G' you will quickly notice they are only covering small areas of the downtown core in large metro areas - not very useful to an RV'er unless you plan to do street parking Once you go much above a couple GHz, RF propagation is basically line of sight so no trees, no buildings, etc.

Bottom line is 5G is not a simple subject when talking signal boosting products.

Check out the Tmobile 5G 600MHz coverage here:
https://www.t-mobile.com/coverage/5g-coverage-map

I have a Weboost #460020 and unfortunately it looks like it probably won't handle 600MHz since it starts at 700MHz :(
Old 12-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #7

Quote:

Both boost the signal and NOT the speed. Signal does NOT translate to better speeds.
Are you sure you need a booster? MIMO antennas work better for me in almost all situations. I needed a booster in 3 locations in the past 30 months travelling all over the US.
computerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2019, 02:26 PM   #8

To add to Computerguy's post, signal boosters don't 'boost' speed directly but they most definitely can improve the throughput the end user experiences. Wireless transmission is very 'lossy' especially with weak signals. And as it turns out the protocol the Internet uses, TCP/IP, was not designed to work well over lossy transmission links. So with a weak signal, you will lose more data packets which will dramatically slow down how fast you can send/receive Internet data.
Old 12-27-2019, 07:34 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do know there is plenty of 2 way communications done with each packet of data. Both Up and Down. So a Faster upload will increase download as the next packet cannot be downloaded until the previous packet is verified. How much not much probably.
tzensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 06:44 PM   #10

Note that MIMO antennas are great if you have a device that takes the two inputs such as a Jetpack or a modem. But of no help if you are using it with a phone. There you would need a booster.

Newer boosters will increase upload speeds more than download.

Also signal strength can be dependent upon the antenna. Lots of options there.
tpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2019, 07:12 PM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
So after a trip this weekend with spotty wifi I went ahead and ordered the new Drive Reach with the trucker antenna along with the fittings needed to make it work. Did a ton of research and I am hopeful this will help. Will report back my findings for those that may be interested.
Old 01-11-2020, 09:56 AM   #12

Please let us know how well it works for you.
marsingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
The results have been fantastic. Here are my results I put in another thread.

With and without the Weboost on.

Verizon with 22.47 down, 4.54 up
Verizon without 5.21 down, 0.61 up
ATT with 11.73 down, 4,45 up
ATT without 1.19 down, 0.92 up

I couldn't be happier with this purchase.
Old 01-12-2020, 06:57 AM   #14

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
The results have been fantastic. Here are my results I put in another thread.

With and without the Weboost on.

Verizon with 22.47 down, 4.54 up
Verizon without 5.21 down, 0.61 up
ATT with 11.73 down, 4,45 up
ATT without 1.19 down, 0.92 up

I couldn't be happier with this purchase.
Cool, I’m considering getting a WeBoost and had the same question. I’m on Verizon but after looking at the T-Mobile 5g map, may get an account with them as well, I only need the download for streaming.