Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2021, 11:44 AM   #1

What are these wires from TV

Hey, my TVs have 5 added wires coming out of the back of the chassis. Why and what for?

I am looking to replace my TVs but need to know if I have to open them up to do something inside…and what that something is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CD10FE3E-49A1-4735-B805-3483AC267D52.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	365.9 KB
ID:	342824   Click image for larger version

Name:	3AFCB790-4368-4FF2-B3ED-23BBC20BAA37.jpeg
Views:	50
Size:	157.8 KB
ID:	342826  

Nevermind Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2021, 01:41 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevermind Me View Post
Hey, my TVs have 5 added wires coming out of the back of the chassis. Why and what for?

I am looking to replace my TVs but need to know if I have to open them up to do something inside…and what that something is.
The ones on the left are speaker wires, taking the speaker output to some other device (amp?). Most modern TVs should have speaker outputs so just look for that when shopping.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:28 PM   #3

The top Red/Yellow/White/Green/Blue are RCA Plugs for audio/video etc
***Identifying label is behind them

The Wires sticking out of the TV Grill....???
Those are NOT OEM and have been added ----need to follow where the wires from those 2 RCA plugs go (black/grey & blck green wires to the Red/White Plugs)
*Not TV OEM...see the shrink tubing used on the wire connections
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2021, 04:35 PM   #4

My guess would be audio, follow the wires.....
Old 09-12-2021, 08:19 PM   #5

My original tube type front TV had similar wires poking through the vent grilles in back. Two on each side. Apparently they clipped the stereo speaker wires inside the TV and ran the wires to the two front coach stereo speakers. Which actually worked pretty well for something that looked like such a kludge. I skipped doing anything like that with the new TV. If we find it not load enough at some point I'd probably just add a soundbar. That said, my coach has no integrated media setup to hook into like most newer coaches.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 08:51 AM   #6

Newmar owners who replaced TV!

I am looking for info from a Newmar owner on the non-OEM wires coming from the back of the TV grill in the top photo of my original post. What are these for? There appears to be 5 wires. I can not easily trace them so someone who has replaced their older flat screen TVs may be able to identify their purpose. HELP!
Old 09-16-2021, 08:53 AM   #7

Here is the photo.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2021, 12:26 PM   #8

The previous answers weren't clear?

There are four wires. They are kludged "audio L" and "audio R" sound outputs that tie the TV sounds into whatever sound system your coach has.

If it were me, I would unplug them. Throw the TV away. Then plug them into the the RCA audio output jacks on the new TV. If I guessed wrong on which was left and which right I would then switch them. Just what [i]I[/i[ would do though.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote