Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2020, 06:53 PM   #1

What is Adobe Reader and are updates recommended

I keep getting a notice on screen from lower right corner of Start Screen that Adobe Reader is ready for update. What is this for, and are periodic updates recommended?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2020, 06:58 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wagonmaster2 View Post
I keep getting a notice on screen from lower right corner of Start Screen that Adobe Reader is ready for update. What is this for, and are periodic updates recommended?
It is software that allows you to view/down load PDF files, view some video formats, and other things. Yes, there are updates to it, periodically.
Ljwt330 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:10 PM   #3

For the sake of safety you need to update ALL of your software on a regular basis. The easiest way is to set everything to automatic update. That said you need to watch dialog boxes that just pop up on your screen some of them are virii disguised as an update. Some them even update your software but add a virus too. Go to a large trusted web site that has PDF files to download and they usually have a link to download Acrobat. I would not trust the pop up window. Here's a link to the Acrobat Reader site: https://get.adobe.com/reader/ MAKE SURE THAT YOU UNCHECK THE TWO BOXES IN THE MIDDLE OF THE PAGE! It's not malware but if you get the additional software it will probably interfere with whatever virus scan you have on your computer now. If your not comfortable doing this there has got to be someone that you know that is, ask them to help you.
arcaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:14 PM   #4

Adobe reader is historically noted for being very insecure. Me experience is that Adobe uses huge amount of resources. Adobe is not allowed on my computers. My PDF reader of choice is Foxit. There are many safe alternate PDF readers. All of these apps tend to install and updater, that runs constantly in background and periodically asks to update the software. I have had no issues with Foxit. Others will have their preferred PDF reader. YMMV.
B52Rnav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:24 PM   #5

Thanks