Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-27-2005, 04:56 PM   #1

Texas Boomers Club
Not being much of a TV watcher I am way down on the learning curve with all the new technology and language. I do use the internet a lot and am pretty familiar with computer stuff. We are about to go fulltime and trying to decipher what folks are talking about with dish networks and so on leaves me without enough info to catch up to current technology. We would like to have TV and internet access both without spending $5000 on equipment and could use recomendations on your experiences or someplace to get the basics explained.
Thank You
John

2006 Montana 3400RL Quad Slide full timing July 06 <a href="https://www.wunderground.com/US/TX/Waco.html">
Cummins Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-27-2005, 04:56 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Not being much of a TV watcher I am way down on the learning curve with all the new technology and language. I do use the internet a lot and am pretty familiar with computer stuff. We are about to go fulltime and trying to decipher what folks are talking about with dish networks and so on leaves me without enough info to catch up to current technology. We would like to have TV and internet access both without spending $5000 on equipment and could use recomendations on your experiences or someplace to get the basics explained.
Thank You
John

2006 Montana 3400RL Quad Slide full timing July 06 <a href="https://www.wunderground.com/US/TX/Waco.html">
Cummins Hot Rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2005, 02:56 AM   #3

Cummins Hot a good place to start with the internet systems would be a site Datastormusers. Here you will find all types of information in the forums on different types of internet setups. Like you I am checking the different options out myself. For me I think the roof mounted system is the way to go. There is also a tripod system that is less expensive. Both have the capabilities of having TV added to them.

Derek aka Mindcandies
Old 11-30-2005, 04:25 AM   #4

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
I don't know what happened to the reply I posted yesterday, but it's not here today, so I'll try again.

There are 3 ways to accomplish what you want.

1. A DataStorm dish with a BOW, (Bird on a Wire), for TV. The BOW is an attachment that puts the TV LNB at the proper offset from the Internet LNB so you can receive TV off the DataStorm dish. Cost will be about $4495 or more for the equipment plus install, so the total for equipment could run close to $6000.

Service costs will be $99.99 for Internet and $30.00 or more for TV depending on the package you choose.

2. A tripod setup for the Internet with a BOW. We bought our tripod from Dustfoot, http://www.dustyfoot.com for $1495.00, so the cost will be significantly less than the DataStorm. Monthly service fees will be at least $59.99 for Internet plus TV, again depending on what service level you choose.

3. A roof mounted dish for TV, and a tripod for Internet. The roof mount for TV can be auto seek or manual. The cost of this equipment can range from $159.00 plus install to well over $1000 for a dome type dish setup, plus service plans. I guess I should have added a 4th option of tripod dish's for both TV and DirecWay, but it's pretty much the same as this option.

Our choice was number 3, with a manual dish. It's worked well for us for 15,405 miles, 32 states, 2 Canadian Provinces, and over 90 moves in the last 14 months. I will set the Dustyfoot up if I get into a CG where I'll only be for one night, and I get there early enough to make it worth while to set the system up, and that's 90% of the time.
Old 12-07-2005, 05:57 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
A less costly method for Internet communication you might consider is a "air card" from your cell phone company. Several of them have this service (Verizon,Cingular etc.). Search the forum for discussion on this. You can then have the satelite TV service via the antenna system you choose (roof mount or tripod).

Another option is the use of landline connection or wireless at campgrounds for your internet connection.