Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-26-2022, 10:59 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
What sound bar ?

Just installed a flat screen and don"t like the sound.
I guess I need a sound bar. What is a good,small ,cheap one.That someone here has used?
rvtips is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-27-2022, 07:01 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
I guess I need a sound bar. What is a good,small ,cheap one.That someone here has used?
Not on which mfg. - But I like the hardwired optical sound bars over bluetooth. We were at a campground where the TV kept displaying the RV next to us bluetooth speaker. Ended up having to turn off bluetooth on the TV.
mike625 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 10:38 AM   #3

I would suggest HDMI ARC instead of optical.

Willing to bet your new TV has HDMI ARC built in, basiclly when connected properly, your TV will control the sound bar via a single HDMI cable, you won't need to use any other remotes or cables. HDMI ARC shouldn't make the soundbar more expensive. In a pinch I found a $30 soundbar at Walmart and it has HDMI ARC built in.

https://www.tomsguide.com/us/hdmi-ar...ews-26262.html

Surprisingly, HDMI audio is more capable than optical.

https://www.cnet.com/tech/home-enter...ection-to-use/

"Both HDMI and optical pass digital audio from one device to another. Both are better than analog (the red and white cables). Both can pass multi-channel audio, like Dolby Digital. Both cables can be had pretty cheap.

The biggest difference is that HDMI can pass higher-resolution audio, including the formats found on Blu-ray: Dolby TrueHD and DTS HD Master Audio. These formats can't get transmitted across optical."
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 02:17 PM   #4

I agree strongly on ARC. I have a hard time believing that a $30 speaker is any better than TV speakers. Ymmv.
SONOS (either) would be my choice if the $$ don’t choke you.
sstewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 02:32 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvtips View Post
I purchased two of these from Costco because I liked them so much (and it was cheap at $140) - one for the TV and one for our living room.
Vizio SB3621n-E8 36" 2.1 Channel Soundbar System

I now have one of them in the camper with the soundbar mounted above the TV and the subwoofer mounted down in a cabinet (that has a cloth panel for the sound to come out).

I liked that it had optical connection to the TV, as well as would allow a Bluetooth connection to my MP3 player (my phone) so I could easily play music on it as well. The main soundbar and subwoofer also use bluetooth between themselves so you don't need wires between them.
I have had no issues with interference on any of the bluetooth connections.

The sound in the camper with the main speaker and subwoofer is pretty nice and certainly fills the space.
The main issue I have with it in the camper is the amount of work I have had to do tightening/gluing/tacking down things that rattle due to the subwoofer
DoneWorkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 02:40 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
Yamaha ATS1010 utilizing the optical cable. Sounds great and has a decent subwoofer for a compact inexpensive unit. I mounted it below the overhead console centered between the sun visors, so the subwoofer points downward. You will need to get creative/fabricate mounting brackets. Sounds so good I disabled the TV speakers, which sound absolutely horrible.
2000 Alpine 36 FDS #74058
04 Jeep Wrangler TJ
"On the road to find out..."
Alpine36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 03:06 PM   #7

I put in the Bose 500 with the sub and wireless rear speakers, it’s fantastic, finally get surround sound instead of the stereo ceiling speakers.
Old 03-27-2022, 04:37 PM   #8

A while back I bought a Polk soundbar. It worked in the house for
several months. Then I moved it into the motorhome. That stupid thing would come on full blast everytime I moved from one campsite to another and hooked up to power.

I called them to see if there was anything that could be done. The answer I got was "These things aren't made for campers".

I called back the next day and a different person said "I gave that same sound bar to my Dad for Christmas, and he has the same problem. I laugh every time I know he is moving campgrounds knowing what is going to happen!".

I sore off buying another Polk anything.
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, 2014 Honda CR-V, M&G Engineering Braking System
Bigd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 05:19 PM   #9

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
I installed this Vizio soundbar a couple of years ago when I replaced the coach L.R TV.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00SMBG8QY?tag=cb-373128-20

Great sound for a fairly inexpensive soundbar & sub!
Old 03-27-2022, 07:13 PM   #10

If you also have internet connection, I would get the ROKU sound bar. I put one in our motor home which really improved the sound. A couple of months later, I canceled DirecTV and have added ROKU to all our TVs in our home.
mrboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:16 PM   #11

Bought a Bose Solo from Sams 3 years ago. It fits behind the TV and we have been very happy with the sound.
MikenDebbie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:42 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstewart View Post
I agree strongly on ARC. I have a hard time believing that a $30 speaker is any better than TV speakers. Ymmv.
SONOS (either) would be my choice if the $$ don’t choke you.
Oh, it didn't sound better... it was just louder than the TV speakers so I could hear it over the friggin AC [emoji16] (I've since fixed that issue too).

I was just making the case that if a $30 sound bar has ARC, it shouldn't be hard to find it in a nicer soundbar.
jrollf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2022, 07:52 PM   #13

The new Roku soundbar is the bee's knees for $173. Uses HDMI Arc. And it has Roku (which is what we use). Sounds 80% as good as my $800 Sonos Arc. And you can add the surrounds and sub and have a kick butt 5.1 system. In your camper! That's my plan.

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Streamba...s%2C127&sr=8-1
corn18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:08 PM   #14

Alpine Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by corn18 View Post
The new Roku soundbar is the bee's knees for $173. Uses HDMI Arc. And it has Roku (which is what we use). Sounds 80% as good as my $800 Sonos Arc. And you can add the surrounds and sub and have a kick butt 5.1 system. In your camper! That's my plan.

https://www.amazon.com/Roku-Streamba...s%2C127&sr=8-1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoneWorkin View Post
I purchased two of these from Costco because I liked them so much (and it was cheap at $140) - one for the TV and one for our living room.
Vizio SB3621n-E8 36" 2.1 Channel Soundbar System

I now have one of them in the camper with the soundbar mounted above the TV and the subwoofer mounted down in a cabinet (that has a cloth panel for the sound to come out).

I liked that it had optical connection to the TV, as well as would allow a Bluetooth connection to my MP3 player (my phone) so I could easily play music on it as well. The main soundbar and subwoofer also use bluetooth between themselves so you don't need wires between them.
I have had no issues with interference on any of the bluetooth connections.

The sound in the camper with the main speaker and subwoofer is pretty nice and certainly fills the space.
The main issue I have with it in the camper is the amount of work I have had to do tightening/gluing/tacking down things that rattle due to the subwoofer
we have the one from Costco and it has worked very well for about 2 years now.

If I was doing it again I'd probably go with the ROKU soundbar. Even though we have a very nice Samsung "SmarTV" the interface is lacking and the processor is not very good. Our $30 Firestick is much easier to use and faster and the ROKU would likely match this based on other ROKU devices we already have.
2006 Alpenlite 32RL - Sold
paul65k is offline   Reply With Quote