Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2013, 06:00 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
What's in YOUR media bay?

In my revolution, the media bay was robbed when I got her.

All that's up there is an HDMI cable to the TV, a switcher box, and bare wires to the speakers around the coach.

The radio works great to the speaker in the radio position, and I assume the switch to "surround sound" lights up the empty speaker wires.

So here's my question, what do I hook up up there?

I obviously want a blu ray player BUT I would need one with individual surround sound speaker connections ( for raw wires) OR I would need a blu ray + a stereo of some sort.

Well I like to keep things simple, so any ideas?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2013, 06:13 PM   #2

I dumped the receiver that Winney put in. I put an Audio Visual amp which accepted my HDMI input from the TV & Blueray DVD player. I also added a small powered sub woofer to add depth to the weak speakers Winney installed. Very happy with the results.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:24 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
We just got a PS3 that we will use for the Blu-Ray and for gaming with the kids and grand kids across the country.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:18 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by toneumanns View Post
I dumped the receiver that Winney put in. I put an Audio Visual amp which accepted my HDMI input from the TV & Blueray DVD player. I also added a small powered sub woofer to add depth to the weak speakers Winney installed. Very happy with the results.
WHICH audio visual amp.. that's what I want to know

something I can type into google and buy
Old 12-16-2013, 07:21 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PyrateSilly View Post
We just got a PS3 that we will use for the Blu-Ray and for gaming with the kids and grand kids across the country.
I LOVE MY ps3 and want one in the bus, but I know the back won't let me connect the individual speaker wires, meaning, I need a receiver just like at home.

Just curious if there is a super efficient receiver I should be on the lookout for..... or, no, it doesn't really matter.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
I LOVE MY ps3 and want one in the bus, but I know the back won't let me connect the individual speaker wires, meaning, I need a receiver just like at home.

Just curious if there is a super efficient receiver I should be on the lookout for..... or, no, it doesn't really matter.
Thom is the one that deals with all the electrical and mechanical stuff. I do the research on things and take care of paperwork. He says machines talk to him, he's real good with figuring out things to do with mechanical and electrical stuff. He's also good on the stage, playing instruments, DJ and KJ stuff too. Oh he also cooks, cleans the bathroom and does stage combat.

I will let you know what if anything special he does to get it all hooked up. Now that the play is done we have several things to hook up and clean up around the house/RV.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
In my 2005 Revolution LE, I have a platform that used to house a tv just like the one up front, a stereo radio (like out of someone's dash in a car) and two nice speaker columns on either side of the back of the compartment. It is late tonight but I could take a picture if needed
Old 12-16-2013, 08:48 PM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
The Sony DAVHDZ235 Home Theater System in our coach bit the dust recently, it was an OK system for what it did, but it always irked me that Sony did not see fit to put in a graphic equalizer. To replace it, we wanted that plus Bluetooth and we found the LG BH6730S to best suit us.

We would have stuck with Sony except for the fact that the BDV-E3100, which also has Bluetooth, has a two pin antenna connector that would not have hooked to our external antenna.

Both these systems are combination Blue Ray Disc / FM Home Theater Systems with some kind of external analog and digital audio inputs and HDMI-only TV outputs. You can get much better sound quality by going with the separate amp / Blue Ray player that toneumanns did, but we are not audiophiles and this one sounds fine to us.

We also dry camp a lot and wanted an efficient system. The Sony, when off, drew less than 1A (at 12V DC, not 120V AC) from our inverter, and when on was not a lot more, maybe 3-5A. Like the Sony, the LG has digital amps which are very efficient. We haven't dry camped with it yet, but expect similar low power draw with it.

Note neither of these have an HDMI input for something like a PS3, to get that you'd need to go with something like a Samsung HT-FM53, which is no longer being made but may be available refurbished. You also could hook up the PS3 to one of your HDMI TV inputs if it has what they call Audio Return Channel, which I believe will feed the sound from the PS3 (or anything else you plug into another HDMI input on the TV) back out to the Home Theater System through it's HDMI cable.
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 09:04 PM   #9

All I know so far is I don't want an old tube tv and I don't like viewing tv at ceiling level.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_20131215_001.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	173.6 KB
ID:	52131  
MJ56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post
The Sony DAVHDZ235 Home Theater System in our coach bit the dust recently, it was an OK system for what it did, but it always irked me that Sony did not see fit to put in a graphic equalizer. To replace it, we wanted that plus Bluetooth and we found the LG BH6730S to best suit us.

We would have stuck with Sony except for the fact that the BDV-E3100, which also has Bluetooth, has a two pin antenna connector that would not have hooked to our external antenna.

Both these systems are combination Blue Ray Disc / FM Home Theater Systems with some kind of external analog and digital audio inputs and HDMI-only TV outputs. You can get much better sound quality by going with the separate amp / Blue Ray player that toneumanns did, but we are not audiophiles and this one sounds fine to us.

We also dry camp a lot and wanted an efficient system. The Sony, when off, drew less than 1A (at 12V DC, not 120V AC) from our inverter, and when on was not a lot more, maybe 3-5A. Like the Sony, the LG has digital amps which are very efficient. We haven't dry camped with it yet, but expect similar low power draw with it.

Note neither of these have an HDMI input for something like a PS3, to get that you'd need to go with something like a Samsung HT-FM53, which is no longer being made but may be available refurbished. You also could hook up the PS3 to one of your HDMI TV inputs if it has what they call Audio Return Channel, which I believe will feed the sound from the PS3 (or anything else you plug into another HDMI input on the TV) back out to the Home Theater System through it's HDMI cable.
That's what I'm talking about, thanks!
Old 12-17-2013, 10:29 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2go View Post

The TV certainly has an hdmi cord loose in the bay next to it, but I have no idea IF the tv was routed through the audio system or not. I suppose the easiest way to find out is to plug my ps3 in or a roku player while in the driveway and see if the audio is on the tv only or through the rest of the system.

I know at this point for sure, the over the air tv reception plays through the tv only, so I would imagine nay HDMI device would be the same.

That's why I thought about plugging up a cheap receiver that could route all audio to the speaker wires hanging loose in the bay, but I don't want the power draw of two devices ya know...

In this case, the LG makes a WHOLE lotta sense. I wonder how the LG is going to split audio to the speaker outputs, and not route it through the HDMI out put where it feeds this video. There would have be a setting in the setup menu to swap audio from the HDMI to the speakers or something. (or an outside audio splitter)
Old 12-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
OH and the vizio tv installed DOES have an optical cable hanging out next to the hdmi, I bet that would return audio to the LG