Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2007, 04:09 AM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
I hope this is the right place for this, but if not please tell me where to go (well, you know what I mean...).

My almost-new hard-drive is in the process of slowly crashing. It will work for about 2-3 minutes at a time and then squeal and lockup. Once it cools down, it'll repeat the cycle. I have it fire-wired to an external drive and can peel off a few 100meg of data each time before it shuts down. I'd tried using Norton Ghost at first, but that took too long so I'm doing this manually. I've already snagged most of the MY DOCUMENTS files and have backups for the programs themselves so I'm in pretty-good shape (whew!).

What I can't find, however, is where the locations for my FIREFOX BOOKMARKS are stored. I've tried searching in C: for particular ones (irv2.com comes to mind!!) but it always comes up blank.

Any ideas?

TIA
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
ronboc is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-26-2007, 04:09 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
I hope this is the right place for this, but if not please tell me where to go (well, you know what I mean...).

My almost-new hard-drive is in the process of slowly crashing. It will work for about 2-3 minutes at a time and then squeal and lockup. Once it cools down, it'll repeat the cycle. I have it fire-wired to an external drive and can peel off a few 100meg of data each time before it shuts down. I'd tried using Norton Ghost at first, but that took too long so I'm doing this manually. I've already snagged most of the MY DOCUMENTS files and have backups for the programs themselves so I'm in pretty-good shape (whew!).

What I can't find, however, is where the locations for my FIREFOX BOOKMARKS are stored. I've tried searching in C: for particular ones (irv2.com comes to mind!!) but it always comes up blank.

Any ideas?

TIA
Ron

'06 HR Endeavor 40PAQ (Mission Hills decor). All options, but still finding more to add.
Old 10-26-2007, 04:29 AM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I believe they are found here.....

C:Program Files/MozillaFirefox/defaults/profile
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 05:44 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
ronboc - rather than search for the bookmarks, install the add-on called Foxmarks Bookmarks Synchronizer. Once installed, it will upload a copy of your bookmarks to an on-line server, and synchronize your bookmarks each time you use Firefox. Never a worry about lost bookmarks, & if you use more than 1 computer, your bookmarks can be synchronized to all of them. Great tool.

Mark

Doc Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 10:50 AM   #5

You could also export your bookmarks (and then import them back in after your system is recovered).

To do so (Firefox 2.0), go to menu "Bookmarks", submenu "Organize Bookmarks". A new window will appear. On the new window, use menu "Files", then "Export".

Hope this helps.
aa6vh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2007, 11:46 AM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Workhorse Chassis Owner
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Doc Mark:
ronboc - rather than search for the bookmarks, install the add-on called Foxmarks Bookmarks Synchronizer. Once installed, it will upload a copy of your bookmarks to an on-line server, and synchronize your bookmarks each time you use Firefox. Never a worry about lost bookmarks, & if you use more than 1 computer, your bookmarks can be synchronized to all of them. Great tool.

Mark </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

This looks like an interesting tool. Since it is free, it might be worth trying.

However, I would not because of being tied to some other server that may not last, break or just go away. I do not like being tied to another system.

With a good and frequently used back up system, many recovery problems just do not exist.
FLYTYER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2007, 04:16 AM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Hi all -

Thanks for the ideas and tips, I'll try them next time. The problem I'm fighting now is that the drive will only spin for maybe 2-3 minutes each time before locking-up, so I don't have time to try and load any programs. And, the only way I can get to the data is connected in an external case as a separate storage drive.

But I finally did find the repository for the Firefox Bookmarks. In case anyone else needs them, they should be in:
c:\Documents and Settings\[your XP user name]\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles. There should be a subfolder there called 'bookmarkbackups'. Find the most recent bookmarks.html file in there (I found a zillion, each with a date after the ˜bookmarks') and that should it.

Coincidently, I had been planning to do a full backup at the end of this month, as it had been a long time since the last time. Guess I need to do them more often, eh?

Thanks!
Ron

Old 10-27-2007, 05:04 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Storing your 'bookmarks online' is very useful if you are using computers that are not yours, library , school, friends, etc.

If you only need to update between a desktop and notebook or back up your data, export/import, as described above, may be best.
Old 10-27-2007, 01:59 PM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Anyone know how to do that with Vista?? I did a back up in the system and the Firefox was backed up but was unable to find the bookmarks on the backup disc.
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 06:11 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
If you are using Firefox, aa6vh has it right above.

If you are using Internet Explorer (the default browser shipped with Vista), look for something along the same line
Old 10-29-2007, 10:53 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
OK, I found it. I have 2.0.0.8 Firefox. Mine you go to the bookmarks,scroll to organize bookmarks,click file and then export. Thanks again,
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote