Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-07-2011, 07:17 PM   #1

Which coax cables are which

Hi all,
Just bought a 2002 31C minnie. I have 4 cables comming from the wall that are not labeled. It is pre wired for sat...but that is a wall plate.
I do have a wall plate that has the button for the antenna but no jack.
As i figure one goes to front/one to back, I would think one is from the antenna and one would be from the exterior cable hook up. Is there any way to tell which ones are which? There is a box that has alot of buttons on it that was not hooked up, but inorder to get this to work I need to know the cables. Any help anyone can give would be much appreciated.
Thanks, Geo.
outlaw557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-07-2011, 07:37 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Sometimes... You have the wall plate with only the button.

Where are the 4 cables? IF they are coming out of a wall plate size hole in the wall.. Odds are they are ant, cable, (Re-tasked to sat) TV-2 and TV-3 but the only way to be sure it to track them.

Unhook everything... No receiver, no antenna No dish.

now measure the resistance, center wire to nut,, They should all read OPEN CIRCUIT (same as if the meter leads are not touching.

Radio shack sells a male antenna fitting (the screw on thing) with a 70-75 ohm resistor inside, they also sell barrel connectors (Double female)

( I should point out this is the hard way.. I'd do it differently but I have a box of assorted resistors, Will describe that method.. .later in this post)

Now, screw the terminator resistor (What it's called) onto the barrel connector and onto one end of a cable.. Measure resistance.. When you see the terminator's 70-75 ohms (Or anything close) label it.

Move to the next wire

And so on.

Multi resistor method.

You use a bunch of resistors, in this case 10 ohms, 100 ohms 1000 ohms and 1000 will work

Or 100,200,300,400 (or 1000 2000 3000 40000)

Hook one resistor to each wire using a barrel connector and a simple clamp

When you find the 100 ohms at the other end of a whire.. You know it's the 100 ohm wire. NOTE it in your note pad and label.. later
Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The great news is that you= own a Winnebago. I am showing the cable wiring diagram for your Winnie 31-C. If you need any of the three other diagrams, just go to their site and click "resources". Hope this helps.
http://www.winnebagoind.com/diagram/...ire_137743.pdf
puttin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 08:09 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
The cables have no markings as they should have, he will have to check them end to end as wa8yxm has suggested.
If you have a alligater clip you can cross the center pin with screw nut and use the buzzer in the volt-ohm meter also.
The tv cable goes through the side wall, bedroom needs to be buzzed plus the exterior cable in compartment, one left would be ant on roof.

Welcome to irv2 Geo.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #5

Thanks, guys. I will be checking it later this week. geo.
outlaw557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I'm sure the cable diagram will help.. but when you have 4 cables coming out the same hole...

Suggestion.. LABEL those suckers.. Magic Harker or silver pen right on the cable, PLUS a label of some kind taped onto or tied onto the cable. (key tag)