Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2015, 09:51 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Which satellite dish to get

We just bought I knew 2015 Itaska Meridian that has 4 hd tvs . I'm having a satellite dish added to the coach, but I don't know which one to get. I don't have satellite at home so I don't have loyalty particular provider. I don't really think I'll use in motion satellite. I was thinking about the winegard traveler, but would like your feedback on best value and usability.
KatieVL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2015, 09:57 AM   #2

Entegra Owners Club
The Winegard Travler is the best one to get but there are different models. If you use DirecTV you need one model and with Dish network you need another. You need to decide on your provider first. I suggest you do a search here on Dish Vs DirecTV. There are a lot of posts on this subject that will help you decide.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 10:58 AM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
I agree... Trav'ler is definitely the best you can get. Push one button and it powers up and searches out the sats and locks on. The DISH version is a couple hundred $$ cheaper than the Direct tv version.

We have DISH with two 722 receivers which are duals (4 receivers total). With four TVs this works out perfectly for you. Very versatile and easy to program. You could also go with the Hopper receiver with multiple Joey's for each tv.

Good luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:08 PM   #4

Another vote for the Traveler!
Ease of use is Awesome!
Lovin2Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:20 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
It sounds like you will only be using satelite only while traveling?? Dish is the only one who lets you pay as you go. We use the Tailgator and have dish turned on maybe 4-5 months out of the year. Direct TV you would have to pay every month whether you use it or not. We are full timers, but use cable most of the time. We bought the Tailgator and the Dish receiver at Camping World.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:27 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Before you drill into the roof of your new RV, please ask yourself if you like to camp near shade trees.

We have a rooftop Winegard that works perfectly, but have acquired a portable SAT antenna, because the rooftop was blocked too often. We now use the rooftop less than half of the time.

The portable we acquired is totally automatic...just put it out (on the ground, on a table, or anywhere away from obstructed view of the southern sky), it locks and just works.

Some portables can support 2 recievers...important if you want to watch different channels on the 4 TV's mentioned.

Just another thing to consider.
Best luck.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 12:42 PM   #7

I keep playing with the idea of getting a Winguard Trav'ler. People seem to rave about them. I think the antenna by itself is between $1300 and $1600 depending if you sign up with Dish or Direct Tv. Right now I have a Tailgaiter from Dish and I can't say anything bad about it other than I have to take it outside, plug the coax in and drop it on the ground. The convenience of the Trav'ler would be with the extra Dollars except as others have said I'm almost always under trees and the Trav'ler would not work. The Tailgater and the somewhat similar Pathway X2 are much cheaper and you have the flexibility to move it around until you find a fap in the trees.
Old 04-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Are the in-motion receivers worth the money? I don't know that I would use it that much though.
Old 04-03-2015, 02:28 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
IMO "In Motion" antennas are a total waste of money. Why would anyone want to set there watching TV, when out the front window is the best picture you could ever have. If you have kids then use a DVR if they must be Entertained electronically.
D Lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 02:38 PM   #10

We have the Traveler and Direct. Since we have Direct at home, the traveler and Genie only add about $13/mo. We don't like parking the rv under trees due to ants, birds, leaves, pine cones, etc., so it works well for us.
znt1186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:19 PM   #11

I just contacted DISH and requested a tripod mounted dish for our DP - they dispatched their contractor who brought and initially installed the tripod, dish, and three receivers(outside, living room, and bedroom). He zoned in the dish, programmed all receivers, and was done in an hour or so. All this at the RV park where we were at, and at no charge for any of the equipment. We only pay about $50 monthly for 100+ channels.
I take the tripod and dish down and store in the main storage bay when we move, and take it out, find the best place for it, and zone it in after we arrive. A little more work, but no upfront cost.
MisterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 05:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondrew View Post
The convenience of the Trav'ler would be with the extra Dollars . . .
Plus, with a Travler any DISH system installed in a house could potentially be installed in an RV.

This is not true for ANY OTHER dish (in motion, Tailgater, Pathway X2, etc). The only exception are the portable open-faced dishes, like 1000.2 or 1000.4, which are also used for home installs.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 07:05 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I started a chat with their customer service rep and got no where. I wanted to discuss which receivers would work best for me. Because the RV has wheels....he wouldn't help me

Live Assistance 4/3/15, 8:49 PM

Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): Hi, my name is Marvin Jay (ID: JH5). How may I help you?
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): Thank you for choosing DISH, home of the Hopper. My name is Marvin. Are you chatting to set up TV service today?
Katie Van Lennep: I just bought an RV with 4 tv's and want to add a satellite dish and receivers
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): Does your residence stay at this address all the time?
Katie Van Lennep: no, it's an RV. I do not have dish at home.
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): I do apologize we cannot setup the system in your RV, however we can
do it in your house.
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): Would that be okay?
Katie Van Lennep: no. I want advice on which equipment I need for the 4 tv's
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): I do apologized my specialty is residential account.
Katie Van Lennep: Why do you have a page for outdoor TV if you cannot help me
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): We can do setup for RV if it's stationary.
Katie Van Lennep: It's stationary when I'm watching tv.....
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): I understand that, however I cannot do setup. Hope you understand.
Katie Van Lennep: No i don't understand.
Katie Van Lennep: You have a whole portion of the web site for outdoor TV. It show a
motorhome on the page......
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): We can do that if your RV has no wheels.
Katie Van Lennep: Are you pranking me?
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): I just comply with our company rules.
Katie Van Lennep: Really. Have you seen the Dish web site?
Katie Van Lennep: It shows a motorhome driving down the road. It has wheels.
Katie Van Lennep: Do you know about the tailgater dish?
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): Yes.
Katie Van Lennep: Great. So what do I need to set up 4 tv's. I will be using a wine guard
traveler dish.
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): Let me put this way.
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): Let me set you up the service in your residential area. I will set you up
with 211 receiver so that you can bring it on your RV.
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): Sounds great?
Katie Van Lennep: I only want service for the RV.
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): That's the possible way we can do, We cannot setup for a moving RV. Katie Van Lennep: It won't be moving when we use the TV. It will be stationary, almost as if it
had no wheels. Why is this so difficult?
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): I understand, However there is a possibility that your RV can move.
Please understand,
Katie Van Lennep: Yes, that is what they do. You move them from place to place. Dish has all of the satellite dishes on the web site- for RV's- the dish mounts to the roof.....
Katie Van Lennep: Have you heard of the "pay as you go" account for outdoor TV?
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): Yes, you need to purchased the box first and let the installer pre-wired it on your RV before we can activate it.,
Katie Van Lennep: That is why I am chating with you...to try to determine which types of boxes I will need for 4 tv's
Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): The reason why we cannot setup is just because your RV is moving. Marvin Jay (ID: JH5): Please understand.
Katie Van Lennep: It's not moving!
Old 04-03-2015, 07:46 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechWriter View Post
Plus, with a Travler any DISH system installed in a house could potentially be installed in an RV.

This is not true for ANY OTHER dish (in motion, Tailgater, Pathway X2, etc). The only exception are the portable open-faced dishes, like 1000.2 or 1000.4, which are also used for home installs.
Im not clear on what you're saying. I use my tailgater at home. Just take the receiver out of the MH and plug it in. In fact, I just got a 3 sat permanent mount dish for $50 to use the system at my house.

Tags
dish, satellite