Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-14-2019, 11:31 AM   #1

Which Stand-alone GPS Unit to purchase?

Hello Everyone,

I'm not an RVer but I want to purchase a good Stand-Alone GPS system for car navigation in the next week or so and I would really appreciate some input from those of you that use a Stand-Alone GPS on a regular basis.

I realize that most/many of you will be using RV-Specific or Trucker-Specific units, but most manufacturers have comparable units for cars without the added RV/Trucker specifics .... so I'd still appreciate knowing what you RVers are using as I'm sure it will assist me in making an educated decision.

I emailed the always helpful Emily Fagan of Roads Less Traveled (RLT), and since they do not use any GPS, she recommended 3 Forums of avid & knowledgeable RVers that I should contact and see what all of you are using and are happy with.
  • rv.net
  • rvnetwork.com
  • irv2.com
Note that I will be cross-posting this request to the 3 forums above, so please ignore it on the other forums if you've already replied.

Here are my ideas / wish list .........

--------------

Initial thoughts:

Stand-alone GPS System. No more than $300.

Not interested in any Phone Based GPS.

I've used several different stand-alone GPS units several years ago and I found that all were hard to enter destinations, and were just overall difficult to use.

I'm interested in the following, but not in any order of priority.

---------------

*** I will NOT be connecting a smart phone to the unit for calling or any reason.

- Cost - let's say up to $300

- Definitely MANUFACTURER SUPPORT, ie, a company that stands by their product IF there is a problem and is easy to contact, ie, answers the phone if necessary.

- Prefer a larger screen, but functionality is more important

- Easy to enter destinations and easy RE-ROUTE manually when desired

- Un-cluttered EASY to view/read map screen while driving

- Lifetime FREE map updates

- Includes "traffic" or "construction" functionality.
(Unless there is a consensus that it's useless - please advise)

- is TOUCH SCREEN useful ?

=========================================

Thank you in advance to anyone who can take the time to share your
experience and assist me in purchasing a unit that I will find enjoy.

Regards to all,
Lance
lance1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2019, 12:00 PM   #2
Community Moderator

I believe you should only look at models made by Garmin.

Why not get the RV model? You can have it route you based upon being in a car or RV. That way one unit can do double duty.

I would also get the model which can directly connect to WiFi. That way when you update maps, you don’t need to connect it to a computer with a physical cord. Just bring it within range of WiFi and let it do it’s thing.

I think this model will serve you well.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8463.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	222.1 KB
ID:	256875
pasdad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:07 PM   #3

I use Magellan in both the RV with 7 inch screen and 2 smaller ones for our 2 regular vehicles. No problems with any of them. I have used Magellan almost since they came on the market since I did a lot of traveling then. I have used mine traveling with a Race Team when their Garmin screwed up.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2019, 01:23 PM   #4

We use an older Good Sam version by Rand McNally. It has served me well in both the car and rv. However, your Google Maps on your cellphone is probably the best overall. I have sometimes had to use my phone when both the built in gps in the car and the RM could not get me where I needed to be. The phone map also gives traffic updates. It does however, have a smaller screen.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:12 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pasdad1 View Post
I believe you should only look at models made by Garmin.

Why not get the RV model? You can have it route you based upon being in a car or RV. That way one unit can do double duty.

I would also get the model which can directly connect to WiFi. That way when you update maps, you don’t need to connect it to a computer with a physical cord. Just bring it within range of WiFi and let it do it’s thing.

I think this model will serve you well.

Attachment 256875

Thank you for the input. Just the kind of info that I'm looking for and is useful to me.

I didn't realize that I can get an RV model but can configure it for CAR or RV.

Also overlooked the WiFi ability.

Many thanks .......
Old 08-14-2019, 08:15 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
I use Magellan in both the RV with 7 inch screen and 2 smaller ones for our 2 regular vehicles. No problems with any of them. I have used Magellan almost since they came on the market since I did a lot of traveling then. I have used mine traveling with a Race Team when their Garmin screwed up.

Thank you for your input. I had not considered Magellan but will take a look at their website.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by znt1186 View Post
We use an older Good Sam version by Rand McNally. It has served me well in both the car and rv. However, your Google Maps on your cellphone is probably the best overall. I have sometimes had to use my phone when both the built in gps in the car and the RM could not get me where I needed to be. The phone map also gives traffic updates. It does however, have a smaller screen.

I had been considering the Rand McNally but it seems like more and more people are happy with Garmin and Magellan.

I like google maps and wish they would come out with their own GPS unit.

For what I'll spend on a GPS unit, I could certainly upgrade my smart phone. However, I don't want to spend the money for a larger DATA plan .... and I've had issues over the years with cell service while traveling up and down the East Coast and I'm hoping that a stand-alone gps unit will help solve that issue. Worst case, I can use my existing cell phone (assuming their is cell coverage) should the gps unit fail in a given area.

Thank you for your input.
Old 08-15-2019, 04:58 AM   #8

Some smart phones with Google allow you to download then use without using data. Just isn't real time GPS.
A32Deuce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:00 PM   #9

DO NOT BUY MAGELLAN!!! I Have 2 roadmate magellan gps and they’re both useless. Firstly customer support is basically non existent, can’t phone or mail them, just an email to support, they know next to nothing. Secondly, their free ‘lifetime’ map updates are limited to the first 3 years ONLY. The new roadmate comes with antiquated maps that dont even know some of interstate 40!! Thirdly, you CANNOT connect your device to a MAC, only Windows so you cannot update the antiquated maps nor fix any problems. My first roadmate crashed, it lost all its maps, Magellan's reply? “Buy a new one” because their warranty sucks. I bought a second unit ( now $700 bucks so far) and STILL no current maps nor support from Magellan. DO NOT TOUCH MAGELLAN WITH A BARGE POLE
the docktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 03:44 PM   #10

I highly recommend the Garmin 65 DriveSmart + Traffic. Hits all of you wants/needs. 7" crystal clear screen - $199.00 on Amazon.
Rock-N-Roll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:08 PM   #11

We have had Garmin for 20 years. Would not consider any other brand.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 04:42 PM   #12

Any model as long as it's Garmin brand.
W4KMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 05:01 PM   #13

I'm a Garmin guy also. Been using them for as long as I can remember. I currently use the 770 RV / auto unit and love it!
FlatsixV2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:34 PM   #14

Years ago Magellan was the best you could get and used Navteq maps. A couple of years ago they were bought out by a company that had interest in TeleAtlas maps so they naturally had no interest in paying fees to another map company when they had their own. So with that they dropped to a grade B company and I lost interest in them. Like has already been said, their customer service basically doesn't really care anymore. That they are still making a half baked attempt to stay in business is actually surprising at this point.

Garmin uses the much better Navtec maps and is a good choice just for that to start with.

I spent some time a couple of years ago running a TomTom (TeleAtlas) and an older Magellan (Navteq) side by side. The results from the TeleAtlas were consistently terrible. All GPS's will fumble from time to time, but there's a limit on how bad someone can put up with.

So when you are narrowing down choices, I recommend skipping anything that uses TeleAtlas. It doesn't matter how good the rest of the gadget is if it has to use crummy maps.

For a while I had a car radio with GPS capability. It ran "IGO" which I believe is Asian. I didn't get to use it a whole lot but I had my doubts but it actually worked quite well.
GypsyR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, purchase