Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2006, 02:43 AM   #1

I have a laptop computer that I plan to take along with us in our trailer. Last year, we had to go to campgrounds that had dial-up connections in their laundry rooms or rec rooms. I would like to be able to use my computer anywhere. I have the capability in my computer, but don't know what service to sign up with. Can anyone recommend the easiest way and best way to use my laptop ANYWHERE?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2006, 02:43 AM   #2

I have a laptop computer that I plan to take along with us in our trailer. Last year, we had to go to campgrounds that had dial-up connections in their laundry rooms or rec rooms. I would like to be able to use my computer anywhere. I have the capability in my computer, but don't know what service to sign up with. Can anyone recommend the easiest way and best way to use my laptop ANYWHERE?
Old 03-18-2006, 05:09 AM   #3

Appalachian Campers
I am sure there are others with more qualified knowledge than mine. But. Where ever we are, when the start up on the compture fineshes, if there is a wireless connection available, a screen pops up and tells you. I click on it and can either get right in (unsecured) or a screen will come up telling you what service it is and offer you a variety of options, 1hr, 5hr, all day, at different prices, you pay right then by credit card and you are on. McDonalds, Flying J are some that we have used. All that we have encountered are either free unsecured or pay as you go.

Tow 2001 PT Cruiser
Colette and Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 06:35 AM   #4

We are using a Verizon PC5740 using VCAccess. It has unlimited minutes and, so far, we have had no problems. It inserts into the laptop and was very easy to install. The cost is $59.95/mo. We don't have cable capability where we live so satellite was our only other option to dial up. We have used it on the road also.

Good luck.

Frank
Old 03-18-2006, 02:10 PM   #5

Since you already have a laptop, your best bet is to stay at RV Parks that have WiFi. Some places have free WiFi and some charge a small fee per day/week/month.

If your laptop has a built-in WiFi card, you are set. If not, just buy a WiFi card for your PC. You can buy a PCMCIA card (fits in a slot in your laptop) or a USB WiFi adapter. Each will have all you need to get connected.

The WiFi setup will recognize when you are near a "hot spot" and will ask if you want to connect. Some hot spots will be private and not allow connection, but many are open networks.

Besides RV Parks there are many places you can go to get a hot spot connection. Flying J and Starbucks any most truck stops have hot spots. More and more state rest areas are adding hot spots. Some places charge a fee to connect. We have found that many post offices have open WiFi. If you search the Internet, there are listings of free WiFi hotspots.

Art
agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 08:36 AM   #6

Just a few words of caution on the WIFI thing.

Make sure your Virus, Firewall, & Spywear software is up to date.

Some folks take a dim view of using there WIFI conections without permision. If you asked me I'd share the wep key. Some Coffee shops have hot spots for WIFI. The local hotel here has WIFI for customers. have fun!

2001½ QC Dodge CTD, 4x4, auto, short box, Stull running boards, SS bug deflectors. Husky 5er slider hitch.
jefff929 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2006, 09:18 AM   #7

I think Jeff929 has good advice.

Regarding the wep key, most of the places I have been there are "open" networks that do not use a wep key. Frequently I finds these at accountants offices, doctors offices, attorneys offices and even the post office. If I can't find a connection at the RV Park or some cafe I have been known to park my toad close enough to an office and log on long enough to send and receivet my e-mail. Right or wrong? I don't know. But I figure if someone leaves their connection open they must not mind an occasional visitor. This may not be good etiquette, but therer is no one in the office to ask when I get there in the evening.

Art
agkcpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 03:45 AM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
The answers given are all correct. However, I suspect they aren't addressing your question. there is no nationwide WIFI provider. The only ways to be connected wirelessly is via a cell provider or satelitte internet systems.

Hope this helps answer your question.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:29 AM   #9

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
If all you want to do is use WIFI when it is avaiable you do not have to have a provider. You can just get on and use it to surf the internet. Now for email you can use one of the free email providers or if you have a provider at home you can access your email over the internet. The only email I use is at work and I have had no problem getting in to it when WIFI is avaiable. I have used my laptop at campgrounds and a hotel. The CG we went to for the iRV2 national rally last Summer did have a wep, but it was given to us free. I agree with keeping your anti virus up to date and useing anti spyware programs also.
WIFI is not that hard to use.
I hope you enjoy it.

Bill
Old 03-28-2006, 09:47 AM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Go to the Library, Most of them have WiFi and/or are getting it installed. I either go in, or sit in the toad and use the laptop. Some of the states are putting WiFi in the rest areas. Iowa has it in all the new rest ares. Sat having lunch and doing e-mail. Texas was testing in some Rest areas.
The downtown Tampa are is all WiFi.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:48 AM   #11

Hopefully one of the IT guru's here can answer this for me.

I have an older Toshiba Satelite laptop. It is old enough I can only use Windows 98 2nd edition on the system. (not fast enough for XP). I have used it before for dial up access via our cell phone. We have since switched to cable access at home and do not have a dial up number for the provider (they don't provide one). I know that I can buy WIFI cards that will fit in the computer, but is this system capable of using WIFI under windows 98? the machine is plenty fast for the limited surfing we would do, and more than adequate for email while on the road. Will the WIFI card also work at home if I add a wireless connection to our home network?

Thanks in advance for your answers.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 10:42 AM   #12

Mid Atlantic Campers
Windows 98 SE does work with wireless. Most cards come with separate drivers and an auxiliary program to assist with detecting available wireless networks and connecting. Before you buy the card make sure it supports Windows 98 and make sure your computer meets the minimum requirements for the card. You should have no problem using it at home and on the road at wireless hotspots.
RKamperRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:14 PM   #13

One thing on the older systems is that if you use a PMCIA card you may need to check the CPU speed, I have a older IBM 350 mhz and it would not handle a wireless card. However works fine with a USB wireless. My understanding is need to be at least 400mhz for the cards to work.
Old 03-28-2006, 12:18 PM   #14

Thank you very much for your answers. Could be my machine is too slow. I'll have to do some looking around, and maybe find a card to try before making the purchase.
Kazoo Tom is offline   Reply With Quote