Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-16-2005, 10:27 AM   #1

We are in a park that has Wi-Fi but it is very weak due to no external antenna. I was researching Wi-Fi antennas for my laptop but became very confused by all the different connections. I thought it would come with a USB but find that is not the case.

Can anyone educate me on the options out there?

I have the Wi-Fi card that came with my laptop. The owner is suppose to be installing an external antenna but who knows when that will be. We are parked right next to the building and my signal is usually low which will enable me to connect but I also disconnect often.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-16-2005, 10:27 AM   #2

We are in a park that has Wi-Fi but it is very weak due to no external antenna. I was researching Wi-Fi antennas for my laptop but became very confused by all the different connections. I thought it would come with a USB but find that is not the case.

Can anyone educate me on the options out there?

I have the Wi-Fi card that came with my laptop. The owner is suppose to be installing an external antenna but who knows when that will be. We are parked right next to the building and my signal is usually low which will enable me to connect but I also disconnect often.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

2000 Sea View 34' Ford V10
rvgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 04:28 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Take a look at this;

http://www.rverscomputerhelp.com/waverv.html

It's the best I have found.
Jerry
2005 Country Coach Inspire Quad Slide w/C9-400 Kitty Kat, 2013 Honda CR-V, "RVing since 1968". Escapee #27953, FMCA #12697, Good Sam Life Mbr.
Jerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2005, 10:46 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
I use the Hawking Hi-Gain USB Wireless-G Antenna. Very small and has worked great with my LapTop inside the RV. Has connected at most campgrounds with Wi-Fi. Most Electronic/Computer stores should have it. I think I paid about $50 for it.

http://www.hawkingtech.com/products/productlist.php?Cat...&FamID=33&ProdID=226
Old 12-09-2005, 01:39 PM   #5

If you have a card with an external antenna connector, simply make yourself a yagi. Get an antenna base fitting at Radio Shach, mount it in the bottom of a pringles can, mount the can on something solid (hot glue), put an end on a coax and plug it into your card. I've seen one catch a signal 6 miles away from an access point. Cost about $5 to make.

Here's a link to a site where someone has made several. http://www.netscum.com/~clapp/wireless.html#building
charliez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2005, 04:47 PM   #6

First impression of Wave RV USB WiFi antenna

I just received my Antenna from Radio Labs and connected to my computer in the motor home. I uninstalled a Belkin USB adapter, which had a very weak signal and horrible link quality. It constantly lost connection. Immediately after installing the software and obtaining a signal, I was shocked! My signal was virtually 100% and Link quality was 96-100%. Incidentally the Antenna was in the motor home lying on the desk. I will give an update when I get it installed on the Coach. I think there are some inherent weaknesses in the unit however. The antenna connection is an open USB male at the bottom of the antenna and this cannot withstand the rigors of the road, so I will have to address that problem. Another potential issue is that the adapter, at the bottom of the antenna is open so moisture will be a problem. This is another problem I will have to solve. The cost of this antenna is high enough that the customer should not have to solve these engineering problems.
we_rv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2005, 09:05 AM   #7

GEEZ! Get a grip, and take a deep breath. It is apparent that you were so anxious to slam my post that you could not even wait long enough to even get your thoughts together to do it in one post. I waited to reply because I was expecting that another afterthought' would be forthcoming.

In the spirit of the purpose of this forum I gave my experience with Wave RV Antenna. That is all. There was a legitimate question and I attempted to give information of my limited experience with the Antenna.

1st post
"The Wave RV USB WiFi antenna is way overpriced to start. Secondly, it will not handle weather because of it's design. For less then $100 you can get a superior set-up that will out perform the RadioLab offering"

Response:
Overpriced? Well, that is an opinion that is in the eye of the beholder. If price were the only determining factor, which influences my decisions, I would have bought a 32' Fleetwood instead of a 38" Mountain Aire. We buy what fits our needs.

2nd post
"Forgot to mention all the Wave RV USB WiFi antenna is, is an antenna with a built into it wifi card. The wifi cards abilities are nothing compared to top notch high performance, long range wifi cards that are available for $50 today. RadioLabs came up with this cutsey wifi card built into an antenna to lure RVer's. Reality is for far less money you can come up with a far superior set-up"

Response:
The Top-notch high performance Buffalo WLI CB G54HP 32mw card is a mediocre card at best. Try on the Engenius Eub-362 ext 200 mw card on for size Tex.

3rd post
"This card and a $20 external antenna will hands down out perform the Wave RV USB WiFi antenna. With the Buffalo wifi card I mentioned earlier, I connect to an access point approx. 1 mile away. Attached to a yagi antenna I access daily, rain or shine this wifi access point"

Response:
Again, it depends on one's needs. Did you mention to those less knowledgeable that each time you move you probably have to take your antenna down and it is directional which means you have to adjust it each time you have moved to a new location as opposed to omni-directional Wave RV Antenna and perhaps some people only want a clear connection in the campground they are staying in not a mile away.

Are you telling me that an omni-directional Antenna only works in the sunshine?

Incidentally you missed another evaluation I made on the Wilson Cell Antenna and Amplifier/Repeater on another post. Now, you can continue or take advantage of the good these forums do and explain, with facts or opinions-just tell us which they are, how you set up your system, research locations, shortcuts, etc.

This may help clear some confusion
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cgi/HardwareCompar...8e57f4cac18e83112514
Old 12-23-2005, 02:02 AM   #8

It was so ironic that the day you did your machine gun' post, I was scheduled to have a root canal, metal rod through the center of the tooth, through the gum and into to the bone. Well, the best pain management for this was a healthy dose of Ibuprofen, from which I could withdraw in about a week. Fortunately, after dealing with your arrogance, to relieve the pain of the lower extremities you caused. I discovered another pain management tool; a huge suppository, from which I could hopefully withdraw by the 4th of July.

However, in spite of the fear I may do this wrong and bring down the wrath of your guidance, direction and correction as the result of my misstatement, I'm gonna take the chance: \

MERRY CHRISTMAS BILL
Old 12-23-2005, 03:49 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Tiffin Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
OK guys....this thread has gotten far off track from the original question of an "education about WiFi"

Lets keep the posts "friendly and informative" or the thread will have to be shut down
Old 12-23-2005, 05:17 AM   #10

I agree Joe, so I will do the follow-up of the installation of the Wave RV WiFi Antenna. As I promised, I would give a report after installation of the Antenna on the motor home. The most compelling feature of this unit was simplicity of installation of this unit and time constraints required I do something immediately. I installed the Antenna on the mounting bracket of the slide-out awning, drilled a hole through the outside of the slide (this meant that I did not have to worry about compensating for the excess line if I had placed it on the side of the motor home) which was where my computer desk is located. This eliminated the necessity of running extra power lines as the unit is powered through the USB port of the computer. I placed a grommet over the line and then bought a stainless steel clamshell vent cover ($1.23) to place over the hole, grommet and line, which will prevent any moisture entering the hole, I drilled. I spent more time getting the stepladder and returning it than the installing the unit.

If I am at a site for an extended period, I set-up my 2.4 GHz dBi Parabolic Grid Antenna with 200-mw Engenius EUB-362 EXT Adapter and amplifier which has extended my range to 5 miles So for someone who wants a quick wifi set-up which is adequate for most purposes, this is one option. There are more and more of these self-contained units appearing on Ebay and other reseller sites.
Old 12-23-2005, 04:13 PM   #11

Would you happen to have any photos you could include of your installation? Would surly like to see!!! What is a "stainless steel clamshell vent cover" and where may it be purchased?
RVwheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2005, 04:33 AM   #12

Hi Charles, I took some pictures and will try to attach-have never done this before. The clam shell vent is a marine application and you can buy them from marine stores. West Marine, Boating World etc. Checked out the requirements for attaching photos and do not want to give access of my hard drive to do so. I will email them to you, ron
Old 04-15-2008, 12:56 PM   #13

I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd post this fyi... We are mostly weekenders so internet isn't always mandatory, but we do like to use it occasionally. I had the worst time connecting to hotspots in some parks, especially the large ones. In Anza Borrego State Park they advertise free wifi, but they lie. The free one is down and they want $7 a night for the commercial. Borrego Springs Library is a free public hotspot, and it's 1.85 miles away by GPS. I had enough elevation in the state park to have a line of sight shot to the library, and had full signal with great speed.

I'm using an MFJ 15db gain yagi with a camera clamp mount, and a SMA adaptor to a ALFA Networks 500 mw external card.

That is the longest shot I've tried with it, but I'm going to try for more when I can find the location. I have absolutely no trouble with any hotspots in the parks anymore.

wxsby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2008, 01:01 PM   #14

OK. I hosed the pics.. One more try:

wxsby is offline   Reply With Quote