Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2020, 12:08 PM   #29

TechWriter thanks for the information. Perhaps because I travel mostly in small and often isolated towns in the West, my experience with park wifi was probably not as good as yours but I did not measure and record speeds. In my experience 12 to 3pm is a pretty light use time for wifi, and 8-11am and 4 to 10 pm would measure much slower. Still, I think your basic point if right--most of the time there will be usable park wifi at the right time of day in most parks. In state, federal and city/county parks there usually will be no wifi. It is really an issue of how much/often internet you want and how much you are wiling to pay for it.
marsingbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-15-2020, 05:28 PM   #30

Just be cognizant that you sucking all that data is screwing everyone else trying to use that cell tower.
TheKODude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:03 PM   #31

Put Hughes net 5G on your coach.
JerryTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:04 PM   #32

Wait for Starlink

$80/month for good speed from anywhere using a small flat antenna. Space X tried to launch 60 mire satellites, but had a launch problem with 1 sec to go on a Falcon booster on its 5th reuse. Only 12,000 satellites minus a few hundred already launched.
landsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTaylor View Post
5g is currently only in major metro areas
CCrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:17 PM   #34

Wifi access for the RV

Has anyone used the data service offered by the FMCA? I'd love to know how well that works. Economically, it seems geared to full-timers.
Thanks.
Flair-22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:26 PM   #35

Benefitrep

We have recently acquired our motorhome that has WiFi ranger. Have not used it as yet. Was hoping this will help in similar situations.
benefitrep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 06:48 PM   #36

Tiffin Owners Club
Try fmca sprint plan

Have had the FMCA Sprint plan for well over a year. The only time it slows down is due to tower location. Otherwise we can stream 2 shows at once with no problem and no limits.

We do not have a plan at home, just use it here just like on the road. That way we do not pay for service when we are gone 4.5 months like last year.

I do have some problems at home, but we are in a valley outside of Albuquerque, NM (USA)*. Also our new home is stucco and the wire mesh acts like a Faraday cage. Our weboost helps overcome this.

* Our license plates say New Mexico USA for all the idiots out there that think we are from another country.
cvretis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 08:48 PM   #37

Tiffin Owners Club
If you travel out west or in the 12 western states you will need all that , a Wilson cell amp, thicker antenna and possible 2 cell phones by different providers. Was full time for 9 years and found that rv park WiFi service sucks, cell phone signals suck and probably satellite internet and phone should be considered.
drwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2020, 10:32 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryTaylor View Post
HughesNet and 5G are two separate things.
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 12:34 AM   #39

ktoutoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 03:07 AM   #40

Send a message via AIM to Our05Winneba
You need to access Mobile Internet Resource Center to get the best, and latest information. https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

Boosters can be confusing, and difficult to install properly. This site will give you information on best plans and equipment. One thing I learned from them was that they found that a dual pole directional antenna hooked directly into my Verizon Hotspot could achieve just as good a signal as a booster - as long as the directional antenna is properly aimed. But they can give you lots of other advice as we well. .
Our05Winneba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:41 AM   #41

A common problem

It's quite a shocker coming from lightning fast and reliable cable wifi in my home to very spotty wifi on the road. After much research and headache I found that using my cellular hotspot on my iPhone is as good as I can hope for and still afford. I upgraded my Verizon contract to unlimited data for about $30 per month. That gives me connectivity through my laptop and my phone and my iPad. It's a frustrating setup because of how slow it moves, but I do get video streaming. Trying to use the wifi the campgrounds offer is a frustrating waste of time.
patrickm is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wifi