Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > RV SYSTEMS AND TECHNOLOGIES FORUMS > Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc.
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-13-2019, 10:04 PM   #1

Wifi Hot spot in new vehicle

I tried to search on this, but unable to find a thread on this, even though I am sure it has been discussed. The GMC Yukon ( to be flat towed), I have just purchased has a built in WiFi hotspot offering unlimited data for $25 a month no contract activate as needed. I know this has to be too good to be true to think, this might work for my internet connection in the coach, What are the drawbacks and limitations to this approach?
Thanks in advance !
Fanukalum is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2019, 10:17 PM   #2

well, top of my head...

- does the Yukon key need to be in the ignition and "on" for the hotspot to work?
- engine need yo run?
- which cell service does it use?
- range of the yukon's receiver?
Old 07-13-2019, 10:38 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
I have a GMC Acadia and had the same plan. But once you turn the car off in automatically turns everything - including the WiFi - off after 20 minutes. I found no way to disable that.
Johnontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 10:59 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnontheroad View Post
I have a GMC Acadia and had the same plan. But once you turn the car off in automatically turns everything - including the WiFi - off after 20 minutes. I found no way to disable that.
Well ....
I said it was too good to be true.
I should have recognized the obvious problem of battery being disconnected when towing.Thought I might save little on my data plan after blowing the budget on that Mobile hotspot device.
Old 07-14-2019, 07:02 AM   #5

I think those use the AT&T network. I don't know if it is possible to move the SIM to another device and fake it out. AT&T used to sell a device that plugged into the diagnostic port but some else made an ODBII simulator to use it outside the car.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 06:26 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiSmuggs View Post
I think those use the AT&T network. I don't know if it is possible to move the SIM to another device and fake it out. AT&T used to sell a device that plugged into the diagnostic port but some else made an ODBII simulator to use it outside the car.
Anybody, out there tried pulling the SIM card and using it in another device (like say a Wifi Ranger sky pro LTE).

Next Question is where is the SIM located and can it even be accessed?
Old 07-17-2019, 11:31 PM   #7

There is no sim you can remove. I use mine by leaving the key in the accessory position. After a few hours it will kill the battery, so the drain is not insignificant. Some people have rigged up a charge line from the RV to work around that.

The good part is the plan is cheap, and the modem in the car with a rooftop antenna outperforms hand held phones or hotspots with internal antennas. It’s better in fringe areas.

The bad part is that because it’s cheap and “unlimited” it’s low priority and frequently slowed for congestion management.
Old 07-21-2019, 10:00 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finance View Post
There is no sim you can remove. I use mine by leaving the key in the accessory position. After a few hours it will kill the battery, so the drain is not insignificant. Some people have rigged up a charge line from the RV to work around that.

The good part is the plan is cheap, and the modem in the car with a rooftop antenna outperforms hand held phones or hotspots with internal antennas. It’s better in fringe areas.

The bad part is that because it’s cheap and “unlimited” it’s low priority and frequently slowed for congestion management.
I knew there had to be a catch.

Tags
wifi