Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #1

Hi all,
used a wifi signal for the first time the other day. In so doing a message popped up saying it was not encrypted.

So my question...would you use it for banking?
I have a firewall and use norton's services.
thanks,
Joe
1998 3500 Dodge DRW, 180,000 mi. on a 5.9L,24Vdiesel engine w/ turbo, 4 spd. 4:10 rear.
2000 golden falcon fifth wheel. 2,10lb. rat terriers and "the cat"
daydreamer36535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-12-2006, 02:57 PM   #2

Hi all,
used a wifi signal for the first time the other day. In so doing a message popped up saying it was not encrypted.

So my question...would you use it for banking?
I have a firewall and use norton's services.
thanks,
Joe
1998 3500 Dodge DRW, 180,000 mi. on a 5.9L,24Vdiesel engine w/ turbo, 4 spd. 4:10 rear.
Old 03-12-2006, 03:07 PM   #3

I definitely would NOT use it for banking. The firewall and other security measures are to help keep other folk out of your pc, but you would be sending your info out over their airwaves so potentially anyone could pick up on your data and ID.

There are settings that you can adjust on your programs that will encrypt your information, but I'm not sure what you're using. You might want to call your PC manufacturer and ask for their recommendations.

Wife and kid maybe friends, maybe pets, maybe not, lost look in face,
rhoevinbt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2006, 03:42 PM   #4

I wonder then if the same would be true for my T-mobile wireless account? would you use it?
thanks again,
Old 03-12-2006, 03:45 PM   #5

Upon reflection, I guess a better question would be, How would I use a wireless system to do my banking securely?
Old 03-12-2006, 03:46 PM   #6

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
Did the message say it was not encrypted, or that it was not "secure". If a wifi router or access point is open, you'll get that message. As long as you are logging onto an HTTPS type site, go ahead and do your banking. Your data is sent using 128 bit encryption.
Old 03-12-2006, 06:05 PM   #7

You must be careful using WiFi.
Especially free WiFi. If you want to do banking over the Net, get your own wireless connection.

What Bob said is true. But, I wouldn't do it.
<font color="#0000ff">George Eldridge

Cynthia Totten</font>
Webster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 02:22 AM   #8
Administrator Emeritus

What Bob Hatch said is true...."Encrypted" is what you're looking for.

It's personal preference as to whether to use it or not, I've used it for years without a problem...
rebelsbeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 04:04 AM   #9

I don't think that sharing a wifi connection is any more risky than using cable internet. They are both shared connections, and other users can sniff your ip packets. The real protection is in communicating with an HTTPS server, which any financial website should be using. Firewalls and NAT routers don't protect your IP traffic, only your PC.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2006, 05:27 AM   #10

Location: Fulltiming. Living wherever the jacks hit the ground.
Joe, you're getting little bits of information that aren't really answering your question, so I'll expand.

When a person, or company sets up a wireless (WIFI) system, they do so using a Wireless Access Point (WAP), or Wireless Router. All of those devices, as far as I know, come set up with the default as an open system. That means that anyone can access the internet using that wireless connection, without a password, or permission from the owner. When you, with your computer, attempt to connect with one of these open systems, you will get a message on your computer saying that you are attempting to connect to a non-secure system. It just means that the owner has no control over who can connect. If you do not, and this is important, DO NOT, have file and print sharing enabled on your computer, and if you are running a firewall, your computer is about as safe as you can get.

If the system is Security=enabled you will need some kind of password, or WEP code, and the length of that code will depend on how the owner has set it up. In addition the owner of the connection can require that you provide your systems MAC address. This is a code that is unique to every wireless adapter made, is 12 characters long, and is written in Hexadecimal format. The biggest benefit to using either, or both, of these security setups is that the owner has control over who can access the system. Again, even with a security enabled WIFI you should NOT have file and print sharing enabled, and you should run a tight firewall on your computer.

Once you are on the internet, and connect to a bank, credit card company, investment company, etc, you will have to provide your user name and password. You will then access their secure site via, in most cases HTTPS (Hyper Text Transfer Protocol Secure) site, and everything you send or receive will be encrypted using 128 bit encryption. When this happens, your data is safe, regardless of how you connect to the internet.

Don't open attachments to emails, even if you know the person. If you must open attachments, always run a virus scan on them first, even if the email was checked. Lots of ways you can compromise your computer, but connecting to a non secure WIFI is not one of them, it you have your computer set up correctly.

HTH
Old 03-21-2006, 01:53 PM   #11

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bob Hatch:
Joe, you're getting little bits of information that aren't really answering your question, so I'll expand. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Bob for taking the time for your explanation of WIFI, etc. That information makes it very clear and should answer all questions for our iRV2 members to the topic.

I have printed out your response and added it to our RV Notebook ...its not that I cannot remember what you said but it will help in open discussions I've had with others to the subject.

Thanks again!

Rich

Our RV trip to Alaska
iRV2.com Member #216

2012 Arctic Fox 29-5T (Northwood Mfg) 5th wheel - 2014 RAM 3500:cool dually
Rich & Zara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 04:38 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Bob,

I asked about this on another post and got the short answer. Thank you for filling in the details.
Nonno is offline   Reply With Quote